Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you think of Dan Fastuca's Mid-Ohio National Anthem Performance at Mid-Ohio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default What did you think of Dan Fastuca's Mid-Ohio National Anthem Performance at Mid-Ohio?

A message from Dan Fastuca:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Dan Fastuca. Like many of you, I am a Corvette fanatic. You may have seen some of my Corvettes in the July 2009 issue of VETTE magazine, where I appeared with my long-time friend and racing legend Dick Guldstrand.

I have spent my life as a guitar player, playing professionally for many big-name artists.

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My family’s business manufactures weapon systems for the U.S. military. Over the years it has received many acknowledgments from the Department of Defense and even the President of the United States, who personally presented the American flag to my brother. Unfortunately my family lost that brother to cancer.

I have many friends currently active in our military who I believe are heroes by default. This, and the fact that I have traveled the world (because of my guitar playing), has brought me to the conclusion that we live in the greatest country on the planet.

I am a friend of Corvette Racing’s Pratt and Miller team and was asked by the American Le Mans Series to perform the National Anthem at this past weekend’s Mid-Ohio ALMS race. What an honor it was to perform for everyone at the venue wearing Ron Fellows driving suit!

The event also offered me the opportunity to auction off a personal guitar autographed by me for a local cancer institute and come to the help of Ohioans in need.

Unfortunately, I have learned that a person working for Mid Ohio took offense to my appearance and my rendition of our National Anthem.

The producer of the pre-race show asked me to fill over four minutes of time instead of the prearranged anthem (about 2 minutes long). As I walked on to perform, the producer held up "time-remaining" cards in front of me to indicate exactly how much time was needed to fill. This said, I just riffed around a bit on the guitar, shut it down for a second (to indicate that this would be the beginning of the National Anthem), and then began playing the anthem itself. By reading a different forum just last night, it became clear that people thought that the entire 4-5 minutes was my rendition of the National Anthem. The venue’s PA was also distorting and cutting in and out. I figured that as it was already doing so during the spoken interviews with people, people would figure out that the poor sound was the PA, not my rig. Unfortunately, some did not. The real shame is I only participated in this to make people happy. I apologize that some did not enjoy my being there, but keep in mind that the person working at the track was yelling, ‘Unplug him. We did not sign on for this. This is not our image!’ This was all before I played.” During the performance, the PA was cutting out due to a microphone setup which I advised was incorrect.

One thing I have learned over the years is that you can’t please everyone all of the time. I am sure that my appearance and guitar-playing style is not for everyone. To my knowledge, there are still people who are offended by Jimi Hendrix’s rendition of the National Anthem, as well. Therefore, I do not have a problem with anyone who may not have liked my performance.

Now this person has chosen to post an alert on the Mid Ohio web site, accusing me of being unpatriotic and apologizing to race fans for my performance. I have played the National Anthem publicly at many different types of events all over the world, including Corvette races, and never had a complaint.

To anyone who may not have enjoyed my performance, I say from the bottom of my heart, I offer my apology if you had the impression that I am anything but patriotic.

To the many, many people from the crowd, Corvette Racing, and other race teams who stopped me to tell me they thought my playing of the National Anthem at Mid-Ohio was “a great job” and “very cool,” I am very thankful for your comments and that you would take the time out of your lives to let me know that you enjoyed my performance.

I think the most flattering compliment I received was from a couple that stopped me to say, “We saw Jimi Hendrix perform his version of the National Anthem at Woodstock and we said we would never see anything that cool again, but today we did. Great job!”

I just wanted the opportunity to fill everyone in. The people who know me personally know that disrespectful, is the last thing I am. Thanks so much to the alms for all your support.

Dan Fastuca

If you liked Dan's performance and want to tell Mid-Ohio how much you liked it, you can email Michelle at mdinsmoor@midohio.com.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 08-12-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have been going to Mid-Ohio for many years. Guess what? The PA system always cuts out. Every year they have it cutting out at different times. If the PA system was working right, the National Anthem rocked!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
A message from Dan Fastuca:

If you liked Dan's performance and want to tell Mid-Ohio how much you liked it, you can email Michelle at mdinsmoor@midohio.com.
From what I could hear it sounded great. I only wish I could have heard the entire rendition. Has it been saved anywhere on the internet so we can download to hear all of it? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 PM
tym4fun
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am one of those who thought his entire performance was part of his rendition of the National Anthem. I was down on the flats at the apex of Turn 7, and unfortunately there was a long break in the broadcast part way through the Anthem, which led us to believe someone had pulled the plug on his performance. I sincerely apologize to Dan for mistakenly blaming him for the poor broadcast.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is there a youtube of this?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there ! It was awesome !!!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

That's really too bad. Anyone who plays the national anthem should not be called unpatriotic. Anyone who thinks otherwise IS unpatriotic.

BTW that GT2 Guitar is AWESOME!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
J Wagner
Intermediate

I am not going to slam Dan. But the performance as it sounded from turn one was not good. All we could hear was a thrashing guitar for a few minutes with a few bars of the National Anthem able to be understood. The cutting out of the pa system just confused the whole thing even more. People were really looking at each other with an astonished look. I am sure Dan's heart as an American is where it should be. It was his rendition on the Anthem and he probably feels honored everytime that he get to preform the Anthem.

I personaly did not care for the performance under the circumstances.

Dan, do your thing and keep on rocking.

JW
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 PM
knownothing
Instructor

Originally Posted by tym4fun
I am one of those who thought his entire performance was part of his rendition of the National Anthem. I was down on the flats at the apex of Turn 7, and unfortunately there was a long break in the broadcast part way through the Anthem, which led us to believe someone had pulled the plug on his performance. I sincerely apologize to Dan for mistakenly blaming him for the poor broadcast.
Thanx so much for your understanding. i've made my living as a guitar player beginning at age 16. This was just an issue of the venue not being prepaired for what we were planning. The shame is, i told them that it would turn out poorly the day before, and as i was going on to play ... This is not somthing that is uncommon in this biz, but this happened to unfold with really ironic timing, making it really confusing to figure out for the fans. as one of the corvette drivers put it best.... "It's like getting a really unpreparred car for a race. After a certain point, all you can only do your best, and be as professional as possible." This is what i did.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
knownothing
Instructor

Originally Posted by J Wagner
I am not going to slam Dan. But the performance as it sounded from turn one was not good. All we could hear was a thrashing guitar for a few minutes with a few bars of the National Anthem able to be understood. The cutting out of the pa system just confused the whole thing even more. People were really looking at each other with an astonished look. I am sure Dan's heart as an American is where it should be. It was his rendition on the Anthem and he probably feels honored everytime that he get to preform the Anthem.

I personaly did not care for the performance under the circumstances.

Dan, do your thing and keep on rocking.

JW
Man... i dont blame you one bit for not liking what you heard under those circumstances. Thanx for your understanding and kind words.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 PM
knownothing
Instructor

I am still out with the team at Road America ... but a guy has emailed me saying that he has a video and will send it to me asap .. so i will post it asap...
Thanx
Dan
Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 AM
VetteRacer725
Intermediate

Man, that sucks! Total BS!!! Really isn't fair being the PA was jacked up!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Here is a similar rendition from Long Beach

Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM
J Wagner
Intermediate

I tell you what. Dan you have major skills. You can really make the guitar sing. I love the sound of a screaming axe. However, I tend to like the Star Spangelled Banner in a more traditional way. I do not mean that it shouldn't be played on an electric guitar. But more traditional in styling. Less frills. Sure add a little of your personality to it but keeping it more towards the way it was written. I kind of see it as being like the Flag itself. We don't change the color of the flag to different hues of red, white, and blue. Just my opinion and preference.

With that said, Dan you did a great job with your rendition and it is obvious that you are proud to be playing the National Anthem and are a proud American. Dan, you absolutely "ROCKED IT" and it had a lot of flavor. I just like mine with a little less hot sauce.

My only complaint, well actually suggestion. I do not feel that the National Anthem should be dedicated to a person. Being a Corvette fans myself, I like Pratt myself. I feel it should played in honor of the USA, military personel, and the American people, etc.

Like I said just my opinion and I am not bashing in any way. Dan, you do your thing and you do it well.

Oh, Yeah. I saw you in the pits (tough guy to miss) at Road America during an interview with Doug Fehan. Did you play the National Anthem there and how did it go there if so.

Take Care, Keep Rockin',
JW

Last edited by J Wagner; 08-19-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Addition.

Get notified of new replies

To What did you think of Dan Fastuca's Mid-Ohio National Anthem Performance at Mid-Ohio?

Quick Reply: What did you think of Dan Fastuca's Mid-Ohio National Anthem Performance at Mid-Ohio?