Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have your track tires balanced?
Always
70.59%
Never
29.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have your track tires balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Do you have your track tires balanced?

Concerning tire slippage on the wheel, I'm wondering how many of you have your track tires balanced.

Last edited by sperkins; 08-13-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Walmart does not charge that much for balancing, but $5 would buy another beer!

I had some scrubs mounted that had a lot of pick-up (track turds) on them. I was surprised that the balance seemed OK after it was scraped off on track.

Next time, I will ask them to balance the rims and see how the balance looks after mounting the tires.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run Kuhmos, and now the A6's. I have mine balanced any time I change the tires, but to be honest with you, I think I have rarely found all of the weights stil lin place after two days at the track.

Plus, I find about 4 lbs of rubber snakes inside the rims....That can't be good for the balance. Never really felt any shaking or anything like that either.

Balance them if it makes you feel better, but not sure its really needed.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
I've run Kuhmos, and now the A6's. I have mine balanced any time I change the tires, but to be honest with you, I think I have rarely found all of the weights stil lin place after two days at the track.

Plus, I find about 4 lbs of rubber snakes inside the rims....That can't be good for the balance. Never really felt any shaking or anything like that either.

Balance them if it makes you feel better, but not sure its really needed.
, I have lost every weight on the first track day every time.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are balanced and weights are taped... but I havent marked mine to check movement so who knows how they are weighted now.. but until theres a reason for them to come off the wheel... i dont worry about it
Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Always have them balanced. Have thrown weights off a couple of times and the resulting vibration is distracts your focus at a minimum. This is on a full race C4. Voted.

For racing weekends, there is always a tire dealer set up on site. When weights come off, I have them rebalanced at the track.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Yes they are balanced.
No it probably doesn't matter.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I get 20 minutes out of a set of A6s in autox. I never balance them.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a good balance done on just the rims, and tape down and/or mark the weights in case they get thrown so you can replace them. There is little point to balancing them with the tires installed because the tires will rotate on the rims at least the first time you run them hard enough to heat them up. What I have found is that after heat cycling them once and leave them to cool for 24 hours, movement on the rims generally stops. The heat must help form an adhesive bond or something, or possibly is enough to get the rest of the beading fluid out of the seal. Put a chalk mark on them by the valve stem, and when you don't see rotation any more and think you need to, then balance them.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nope
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by imp zog
Get a good balance done on just the rims, and tape down and/or mark the weights in case they get thrown so you can replace them. There is little point to balancing them with the tires installed because the tires will rotate on the rims at least the first time you run them hard enough to heat them up. What I have found is that after heat cycling them once and leave them to cool for 24 hours, movement on the rims generally stops. The heat must help form an adhesive bond or something, or possibly is enough to get the rest of the beading fluid out of the seal. Put a chalk mark on them by the valve stem, and when you don't see rotation any more and think you need to, then balance them.
I was balancing my track tires until I realized my tires were rotating on the rims. So on my current set of tires I told them not to balance them. I had no vibrations at the track that I could feel.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my A6's balanced initially but I did not mark the tire, so I assume there is some slippage. I like the idea of balancing the rims only, but that might only be needed if you have a "bad" rim - at least if you have it done once you will know the status of your rims. When you get a new set of tires, you almost need an initial balance to see if you received any "bad" tires, but I guess you could use the seat-of-the-pants method and if you don't feel anything too terrible, call it good. When it is time for my next set of track tires I may have my tire guy check the rims separately to see how good or bad they are, and then have him mount the tires and check them again to see how much Road Force (the Hunter system) is added by the tires.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

The race shop that mounted my Hoosiers uses tape weights on the inside of the rim (not the metal weights that clip on the edge of the rims). Then they put some racer tape over the weights. Haven't lost one yet.

I had Discount Tire mount some scrubs. It was going to be the first time to use slicks and was looking forward to it. One tire was out of balance and the car would shake pretty bad when I hit ~ 60mph.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I get enough tire pickup and I don't feel an vibrations, so no I don't..
Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used to, but weights get thrown/torn off, no vibration issues, so not any more.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Ernesto Roco
Cruising

Never
Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default wheels only

I had my wheels balanced before the tires were installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have your track tires balanced?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:19 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keeps vibrations to a minimum. I always get it done. I guess we do not drive fast enough to spin them on the rim...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 AM
jpobrien
Instructor

I have always had mine balanced, but this year I got a new set of wheels and R888s they were initially balanced, but, after a few track days, I was feeling a lot of vibration. I had the Hoosier guy rebalance them, and the left front was 7.0 oz out of balance. With no weight, it was still 3.75 out.
I'm pretty sure it spun again after getting balanced, as I could feel a vibration again. That particular tire must be way out of balance.

By the way - 3 of the 4 had rotated on the rim, based on that rebalancing at the track. I'm not sure the others were enough to worry about (the next worst was something like 1.75 out).

I think I like the idea of balancing the empty rims for next time...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:18 AM
jpobrien
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpobrien
I have always had mine balanced, but this year I got a new set of wheels and R888s they were initially balanced, but, after a few track days, I was feeling a lot of vibration. I had the Hoosier guy rebalance them, and the left front was 7.0 oz out of balance. With no weight, it was still 3.75 out.
I'm pretty sure it spun again after getting balanced, as I could feel a vibration again. That particular tire must be way out of balance.

By the way - 3 of the 4 had rotated on the rim, based on that rebalancing at the track. I'm not sure the others were enough to worry about (the next worst was something like 1.75 out).

I think I like the idea of balancing the empty rims for next time...
I forgot to mention that the vibration feel was probably amplified due to a loose lower ball joint that I found later (when the suspension is unloaded). It was actually bad enough (on the LF going around 4 at putnam - to the left) that I got black flagged by the corner worker.

Quick Reply: Do you have your track tires balanced?