Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of unequal caster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Default Effects of unequal caster?

I recently put a C4 suspension under my '69, and I'm doing some alignment tweaks on it. I can measure the camber and toe-in, but presently I don't have a caster gauge yet. So, the caster is just roughed in. What is the steering effect if the l/r caster isn't the same (ie: pull to either side)?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It'll tend to pull into the side with less caster. The circle track guys use this to help point the car into the corner.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
It'll tend to pull into the side with less caster. The circle track guys use this to help point the car into the corner.
This is the part that has me a bit unclear. I would expect that the wheel with greater caster would try to point straight ahead, but the interaction of the other tire is unclear. Would the car try to pull/drift left or right depending on which way the other tire is pointed (if there is excessive toe-in or out), or would the lower castered tire just produce pure drag (regardless of which way it's pointed), and the car would drift in the direction of the lower castered tire, as it sounds from your statement above?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

more castor also increases steering resistance, and gives you more camber while turning. Excessive unequal castor will give an uneven steering resistance turning different directions, not give adequate self-centering, and cause handling to vary (give symmetric static camber) from direction to direction.

If you go to my site and download my alignment guide (davidfarmerstuff.com), you can easily measure castor at home. Castor doesn't have to be perfect, but you want it with 1/2 degree or so.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
more castor also increases steering resistance, and gives you more camber while turning. Excessive unequal castor will give an uneven steering resistance turning different directions, not give adequate self-centering, and cause handling to vary (give symmetric static camber) from direction to direction.

If you go to my site and download my alignment guide (davidfarmerstuff.com), you can easily measure castor at home. Castor doesn't have to be perfect, but you want it with 1/2 degree or so.
I use David's info all of the time and it works great. If you want to make it a little easier. Buy a digital level with a laser 24" from Sears and you can do everything with it, and you won't have to convert inches to degree's. Simple, easy and lots of fun if you enjoy working on your own car. JD

Get notified of new replies

To Effects of unequal caster?

Quick Reply: Effects of unequal caster?