Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot August Days at Roebling and Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot August Days at Roebling and Road Atlanta

Heat and humidity are greatly overrated. True believers know with enough water it is possible to survive the south at the track. Since it seems we are into pain we ran Roebling and then Road Atlanta on back to back weekends in August. We went through a lot of water and sunscreen.

Roebling was pretty easy since the trailer was down with a burned up axle. Track gear was loaded into the Shelby GT and Mike's C5Z for the drive down on Saturday AM. No sleeping bags, no tents since we checked into the Fairfield Inn on Saturday night - in a room I paid for - I am getting soft. It was a great SeatTime event with mid 80 temps, and a good breeze, with the rain holding off when the track was "hot". Mike's C5Z had a pretty thorough shakedown with no major issues. Jake did one session in the Shelby GT with Hazman as a passenger (better him then me) - the street tires and pads were toasted pretty quickly - but the car ran out well. I did ride with several folks over the weekend - I only did a few laps in the Beast (ZO6cool) in the hot seat. I like the VBP setup better then coilovers for my style of driving in a C5. Todd showed up on Sunday to get his feet wet,again, in his new to him C6. When we tried to take it out the TPMS kept in the nanny mode. His solution to this problem was new to me - but it worked.

After a few days at work, it can interfere with track prep if you let it, we left Thursday afternoon for Road Atlanta. It was a caravan with the Mustang on a borrowed trailer (thanks Tom!), Jake in Mike's C5Z and Josh in the Supra. Other then a roadside repair on the catch can system on the C5Z getting there and check in was a breeze. We left the truck and trailer at the paddock and headed to Mike's in Buckhead. By the way you can load 4 C5Z race tires into a 1983 Supra, along with your race gear, when you need to.

Friday was exciting with Josh in instructor school and Khoi working on his crunches. Since his bypass surgery he has become "the athlete" but I am pretty sure crunches should be done in the gym and not at T7. He had a very hard hit on his car when it got loose on him (how about those used tires?). I was given the opportunity to take him to the local emergency room. I had the easy task - he had to call his wife and tell her. She is a saint to put up with him. She was calm, rational and concerned - Khoi was even a little subdued and would not make eye contact (smart man). Friday and Saturday we were invited to the Drumrboy estate near Road Atlanta - thanks again Bob. It had A/C and great showers. Over the weekend Team England managed to get three 3rd place finishes in the CMC races with only a broken windshield from gravel hits near T5. The car still needs a fresher engine but we had no boiling gas problems at all. I did get to see another Vette hammered under double yellow though. A FFR makes a pretty good sledgehammer as I watched it knock the left rear suspension 15 ft in the air - Tony has no luck. Jason managed to separate his right front ball joint as he tried to turn in at T5 on Saturday afternoon - the hit was mostly cosmetic. He fixed it and ran a 1:36x the next day to take the TTA class.

Remember the C6 TPMS problem Todd was having? He ordered 4 new track wheels/tires and only three arrived. His Forgeline wheel was missing the TPMS bracket so he had a car with two sets of three tires. No one could fix it, no one could bypass it, so Todd did the only thing he could. He convinced his wife to buy another C6, with functional TPMS, on Saturday to run on Sunday. He now has his and her C6s with a spare set of track tires (eventually). ZO6cool, Drumrboy and Todd are magical in their abilities to keep their wives supportive of their habits.

Looks like October is our next event.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Heat and humidity are greatly overrated. Over the weekend Team England managed to get three 3rd place finishes in the CMC races
When you crawled out of that thing after one of those races, peeled off your helmet and upper suit, if you had just crawled out of a swimming pool in, you would not have been any more soaking wet.

Dang it was hot.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
When you crawled out of that thing after one of those races, peeled off your helmet and upper suit, if you had just crawled out of a swimming pool in, you would not have been any more soaking wet.

Dang it was hot.
I am still looking for the dumbazz that bought a black race car.

I am going to rig a camelback in the car to stay hydrated. I figure I can wet my pants and no one will notice - so far I am sweating it all out.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Friday was exciting with Josh in instructor school and Khoi working on his crunches. Since his bypass surgery he has become "the athlete" but I am pretty sure crunches should be done in the gym and not at T7. He had a very hard hit on his car when it got loose on him (how about those used tires?). I was given the opportunity to take him to the local emergency room. I had the easy task - he had to call his wife and tell her. She is a saint to put up with him. She was calm, rational and concerned - Khoi was even a little subdued and would not make eye contact (smart man). .
I was feeling pretty bad all day as my car kept throwing a 1515 code dropping into "Reduced Engine Power" whenever I would break 130 mph. I just installed a Vararam so I thought there might have been an air leak, but I never found it or figured it out. But every time I got to feeling bad, I just took a look at the black vette and I realized the difference between "aggravating" and "totally sux!". It was a shame as there were not that many cars on the track for the HPDE and could have gotten a lot of good laps in. Oh yeah, it was HOT! They had my normal spot in the shade blocked off for teen driving school that wasn't even there yet.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by waddisme
I was feeling pretty bad all day as my car kept throwing a 1515 code dropping into "Reduced Engine Power" whenever I would break 130 mph. I just installed a Vararam so I thought there might have been an air leak, but I never found it or figured it out. But every time I got to feeling bad, I just took a look at the black vette and I realized the difference between "aggravating" and "totally sux!". It was a shame as there were not that many cars on the track for the HPDE and could have gotten a lot of good laps in. Oh yeah, it was HOT! They had my normal spot in the shade blocked off for teen driving school that wasn't even there yet.
Josh instructed at the Teen Driving school on Saturday - spent his time in air conditioned cars and then about three hours on the skid pad with the Supra - he asked me if I knew engines get hot when the air does not flow thru the radiator due to the angle (alpha) of the car...the car smelt like he had been in a burn out contest - glad I had just put on a fresh set of street tires....
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I am still looking for the dumbazz that bought a black race car.
<-------
Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
<-------
aren't we special? I was pretty sure I did not ride the short bus to school though...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake did one session in the Shelby GT with Hazman as a passenger (better him then me) - the street tires and pads were toasted pretty quickly - but the car ran out well.
That was quite the ride!! The running commentary from Jake was very intertaining...."Whoa I need some more agressive brake pads as we side slip between turn one and two trying to shed speed, then wow these tires are greasy already as we dance thru turn three, followed by oops brake pedal is already getting soft as we go into turn four, along with man this pig is heavy drifting five and then I need more power as we exit turn eight with a constantly adjusted slip angle on the wheel." And all this on just the second lap Of course with Jeff it would have been on the first lap!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hazman
.... And all this on just the second lap Of course with Jeff it would have been on the first lap!!!
Nah...Jeff would have pulled off at T5 to enjoy the sand...
Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Two words:

COOL SHIRT!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Two words:

COOL SHIRT!!!!!!!
two more...

cheap skate....
Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Nah...Jeff would have pulled off at T5 to enjoy the sand...
I have been off once, just once, at T5 - unlike others I know...but mine was not a wussy exit off the track...it was mansized...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

jeff you guys headed back sept 12th? I would love to get some instruction!!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
jeff you guys headed back sept 12th? I would love to get some instruction!!
Who is running the 12th?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

12-13th PCA Florida Crown Region..
Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

12-13th PCA Florida Crown Region..
Have not run with them in quite a few years - but they were a great group of folks. Right now Jake and Josh are scheduled to work at CMP that weekend (supporting the LeMons race).
Old 08-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

too bad.. maybe next time!!

BTW: they are a good group to run with.. and $200 for 2 days is tough to beat!

Get notified of new replies

To Hot August Days at Roebling and Road Atlanta

Old 08-26-2009, 07:31 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

too bad.. maybe next time!!

BTW: they are a good group to run with.. and $200 for 2 days is tough to beat!
Their beer used to be top notch also.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Their beer used to be top notch also.
FL Crown PCA beer party I think their driving is just an excuse for drinking.

But you do meet lots of good ppl there.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
FL Crown PCA beer party I think their driving is just an excuse for drinking.

But you do meet lots of good ppl there.

Quick Reply: Hot August Days at Roebling and Road Atlanta