Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pad taper report (DRM AP brake packge)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Pad taper report (DRM AP brake packge)

Well after I finally finished off my front pads, I wanted to check pad taper. Here is what I came up with (not bad for a 10 year old brake system)

3.680 inches

3.674 inches

3.658 inches on the "inside" of the pads

3.641 inches on the "outside" of the pads

This was just a quick measurment to see if anything stuck out. Everything seems pretty good if you ask me. Somebuddy will ask, why the centers are smaller numbers, well I would guess I was pushing in pretty hard on the caliper-pads to get a picture and to make sure all the pads didn't fall over.

Just checking things out and reporting my findings.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those pads don't look "finished off" to me
Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by flink
I know what you are saying. There is some life left in them. One of two things is going to happen after my next track event. 1. The car will be raced by one of my customers. 2. me at Comp school followed by 2 days of racing in the spring. Either way, I really didn't want to be a day or two away from backing plate vs rotor. So I swapped them out. They are about 75-85 percent gone compared to a new pad.

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 08-16-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

What pads are you running? And how many track days on them?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Flink, i agree with you. If those were from my stoptech setup that would be 50% useful life left. Heck, i just checked pads this weekend and they had about 3/16" left and i said good to go for a two day event coming up. Obviously i will watch them but that's still a lot of material left considering what you start off with.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dreamin
What pads are you running? And how many track days on them?
They were PFC 01's. I don't know how many days were on them.

Randy
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wasserott
Flink, i agree with you. If those were from my stoptech setup that would be 50% useful life left. Heck, i just checked pads this weekend and they had about 3/16" left and i said good to go for a two day event coming up. Obviously i will watch them but that's still a lot of material left considering what you start off with.
They are in my spare box. It's sad when the "spare" pads are brand new, and the ones being ran are 4mm (75 percent). I spend most of my time at the track either helping others, or trying new stuff, or Bench racing. I hate doing brake work at the track at all. They are hot, dirty, and take up time.

We replace torque tube rubbers every other weekend, oil every weekend, tranny and diff every other weekend, brake and clutch everyday, I even have leaked down this stock bottom end after everyday at the track. I learned car prep growing up around the shop when we were pro racing. Keep working on it, even if it's not broken.

Randy
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flink
if you are rich they are!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Damn you guys are hard on a guy. Just thinking ahead is all.

The next event is our local Corvette club track rental. I gave them all something to talk about last time I ran with them. This time I would like a perfect running car all day. Check the oil, add gas and have fun is the idea.

Next spring at comp school, "Sorry I can't run hard, I have to beed in brakes" Not a good way to start a weekend.

Or if the car switches hands, two track days later "The pads are shot, when can you get me in"

Randy
PS I'm the cheapest guy on this forum, everything I do has a reason. Which is to either go faster, or save money down the line.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

50% pad thickness remaining does not mean 50% pad life left. closer to 20% pad life remaining.

Changing pads at 50% is a good safety precaution, then take the pads with with you to events. as spares or for the guys who need brake pads as they wore theirs down to the backing plates
Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

This is to be expected with a properly designed caliper like an AP.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

sent pm randy
Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Wasserott
Pro

50% pad thickness remaining does not mean 50% pad life left. closer to 20% pad life remaining.

Changing pads at 50% is a good safety precaution, then take the pads with with you to events. as spares or for the guys who need brake pads as they wore theirs down to the backing plates

Well again if you are rich and that makes you comfortable then go for it. I disagree that 50% = 20%, not sure where you would come up with that one. I just got through running this weekend on what you would call slivers but they held up just fine and i ran "extremely hard". I swapped out pads that were down to 1/16" with one twice as thick 1/8" and they ran fine all weekend.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM
KBlanke
Drifting

Well again if you are rich and that makes you comfortable then go for it. I disagree that 50% = 20%, not sure where you would come up with that one. I just got through running this weekend on what you would call slivers but they held up just fine and i ran "extremely hard". I swapped out pads that were down to 1/16" with one twice as thick 1/8" and they ran fine all weekend.

Just curious, why would you want to take that kind of chance? Seems to me that new brake pads are cheap compared to damage repairs or worse.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Nobody ever talks about heat cycles in a brake pad. But it does happen and becomes harder on the rotor, and seals in the caliper.

Randy
Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Maybe i'm just have the best luck with my pad and brake choice. I run carbotech XP10/8 combo and they have worked great. Carbotech told me they were good right up to the backing plate and it's no lie.

Why would i take a chance...i'm not chancing anything if i'm watching my wear. I guess you've never corded a tire or broken a rotor either.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
KBlanke
Drifting

Maybe i'm just have the best luck with my pad and brake choice. I run carbotech XP10/8 combo and they have worked great. Carbotech told me they were good right up to the backing plate and it's no lie.

Why would i take a chance...i'm not chancing anything if i'm watching my wear. I guess you've never corded a tire or broken a rotor either.
I guess you are just better than me.

Get notified of new replies

To Pad taper report (DRM AP brake packge)

Old 09-16-2009, 03:23 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Well my new pads didn't work out so good So I re=installed these and my braking was much happier.

Randy
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Well my new pads didn't work out so good So I re=installed these and my braking was much happier.
Dare we ask what happened? Were you trying a new compound or something?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Dare we ask what happened? Were you trying a new compound or something?
I tried a set of the hawks DTC 70's and left the rear 83 in there from the event before. It just wasn't working at all for me. So I went back to the 01s in the rear, because the 83 are hard to get right with pedal. Then went back to the 01's up front and it's hard to go wrong with that comb.

I will run the hawks again once I get some matching rears. They seem to stop, but the abs didn't like the difference.

Randy

Quick Reply: Pad taper report (DRM AP brake packge)