Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StopTech/Brembo/2 Piece Rotor Spares question?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
ccj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default StopTech/Brembo/2 Piece Rotor Spares question?

Those of you doing HPDE's that run 2 piece StopTech, Brembo, Coleman, etc. type of rotors I am curious what others are doing to have spares at the track.

Do you carry and extra set of rings mounted on extra hats as a back-up? I just ordered a new set of StopTech rings, and I was trying to decide whether to order another set of hats as well, pull the current fully assembled rotor off now and keep them as a back-up.

New hats from StopTech are approx. $190/ea so I'm reluctant to order a pair and then never use them.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

it only takes like 10 minutes to change out the rings per side rather then order another set of hats, all depends on how much you have to toss around.

i have a spare set of rings i take along
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a second set of rotors built and ready to install. When I put them on the car, I order another set of rings and bolts. I reuse the washers and nuts. If I crack one side, I always replace both sides with new rotors at he same time. I keep the other used ring as a spare. If I need to replace a ring at the track, hopefully it's the side that I have the spare used ring for. Eventually, I may end up with a spare used ring for both sides. It's also best to keep 24 (12 per rotor) extra bolts.

For the rear, I just have 1 set of hats. I have a spare used ring for both sides for the rear.

I like to be prepared as much as possible. I hate to be at the track and have an issue that keeps me from being able to run. I look at it that it costs a lot in terms of time, energy and money to be at the track, so why not spend a little more and be prepared with spares, just in case.

Steve
Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have suggested to buy one extra hat. That way if you have a crack in a rotor, as it cools you can be building a left or right rotor-hat. When you are done building it, then the car is cool enough to replace.

Randy
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In my experience if you are already at the track and you need something you will end up spending just about whatever it costs to get back on track. Meaning, if someone has what you need you will be more than willing to spend far more to get it than you would have spent buying it ahead of time not knowing when you will need it. If you are racing, then it is not an option. In both cases it costs more to get there anyway so why risk it if you think it is a good spare part to have. In your case I'd suggest having complete spare rotors ready to go.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

I carry a set of spare rings. The nice thing with the Stoptech's is that they run 14" front and rear so all you need to carry is a right and left, unlike most others where you need all 4 rings. I don't carry spare hats, but Randy's idea of one front and one rear hat would work pretty good to save time at the track. JD

Get notified of new replies

To StopTech/Brembo/2 Piece Rotor Spares question?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: StopTech/Brembo/2 Piece Rotor Spares question?