Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Race Seats in a C6Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Installing Race Seats in a C6Z

I want to install the seats I used in my C5Z in my new C6Z. What is the best way to do that? The driver's seat is mounted on a set of Hardbar rails and the passenger seat is mounted on a C5 Manual Seat track. I want to switch from the OEM seats to the race seats and back as needed. It looks like the passenger seat mount will clear the OnStar module on the passenger side but what do I do about the seat end of the stock seat belts? How easy is it to unfasten those belts from the stock seats and how do I mount them to the race seat mounts or do something else with them so they aren't flying around inside the car? I know there is a Pretensioner assembly that is part of that seat belt end but am not sure what I need to do to keep it from firing at the wrong time.

Bill
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
no spin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the power telescoping steering column set it to your driving position. Then remove the four nuts that hold the seat down. I then unhook the positive battery cable and wait a few minutes before unplugging the side impact airbag and belt pretensioner. I don't know how necessary that is but I don't want that stuff going off either
My seat is mounted to a stock seat base so I have someplace to hook the belt to.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove my seat all the time (5-6 times a season). Just set the telescoping wheel to where you like it and disconnect neg battery terminal. Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the seat in as well as the bolt that hold the seat belt. You actually need to pull the seat part way out to clear the bolt to remove the seat belt. Then there are 3 harnesses to disconnect, there is no specific order and you don't have to wait 10 minutes. Two of them come of easily and the smallest one needs a flat head to pry it off.

Then reconnect the neg bat terminal and your ready to go. The airbag light will come on, but for me has not effected the performance of the car in any way.

I have the entire process (including mounting the new seat) down to about 10-15 minutes tops.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Race Seats in a C6Z

Quick Reply: Installing Race Seats in a C6Z