Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else get this email from HANS about counterfeit Post Anchors?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Anyone else get this email from HANS about counterfeit Post Anchors?

Hmmm.....

Dear Customers

I thought we should pass along the following information to you just released from Hans today.

This is the second major thing coming from Impact Racing regarding safety. The first issue was some of their suits did not have the proper SFI certification and now this on counterfeit parts. This guy has been in the business for over 30 years with a very well and trusted name by racers around the world. We do not carry the line nor will we ever. Personally I do not trust this company or their products.
Regardless for your safety please see if you are affected by this. I applaud Hans for their quick response to this problem.
Please read below:

HANS FINDS COUNTERFEIT ANCHORS – LAUNCHES FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Atlanta, Georgia (August 19, 2009) - HANS Performance Products has found counterfeit Post Anchor parts on a helmet purchased from Impact Racing Products.

Preliminary investigations suggest that counterfeit parts may have been supplied with other helmets provided by Impact. “We are seeking the source of the counterfeit anchors and to establish how widely they may have been distributed,” said HANS CEO Mark Stiles. He continued, “It is extremely possible that counterfeits may have been installed on other helmets, either factory-fitted by a helmet manufacturer or by racers installing replacement parts during equipment changes.”

The only counterfeit parts identified so far look like HANS’ current “Professional” Post Anchors, which are designed to offer robust durable service – these have a “teardrop” shaped head to the “post” and an aluminum base engraved with HANS, SFI and FIA markings. Other Post Anchor designs, such as the similar current “Standard” version, which have the same teardrop post but a simpler black plastic base, and older designs which had a round shaped head to the post, do not seem to have been counterfeited.

Stiles said, “If racers want to check their Professional Series Post Anchors, one quick test is to touch a magnet to the post. The posts used in all our designs since July 2005 are magnetic. The posts on the counterfeits we have seen are not magnetic.” He continued, “Our earlier designs used a non-magnetic material for the post, so a non-magnetic post is not necessarily a counterfeit, but it is a reason why a racer should contact us for more information.” The link below shows what to look for when testing the Post Anchor.

http://nsvirtualurl.com/core/media/m...a6a725bbdbb4f2

To&_od=aHR0cHM6Ly9zeXN0ZW0ubmV0c3VpdGUuY 29t ensure all racers have confidence in their safety equipment, HANS is implementing a program to replace any counterfeit Post Anchors free of charge. Details of the program, other information and program updates are available at hansdevice.com, or by calling HANS direct at 1-888-HANS-999, or contacting one of the 200 authorized North American HANS factory trained dealers nationwide.

The HANS Device is the #1 choice for performance, #1 for vision and #1 for winners.

Details and information about HANS Performance Products are available at www.hansdevice.com or by calling 1-888-HANS-999 or 770-457-1046.

Sincerely,
Robert Zecca
www.teamdi.com
Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Geez, that's great HANS is doing that, but I can't believe a company would do something like that. crazy
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for posting - I did not purchase through those folks, but will go out and check ny helmet posts tonight. Can't be too careful.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hans was the idea of Jim Downing, longtime professional racer, and Dr. Hubbard who I think is his brother in law, not sure. Jim thought that too many friends and fellow racers were being killed and injured due to neck and brain injuries and went to work to solve the problem The company they formed spent a lot of money and time coming up with the origional HANS and it reiterations. My son bought one after we had a conversation with Jim at a Mid-Ohio Grand-Am race about 9 or 10 years ago. This spring I think it saved his life when he lost his brakes and put his race car into a wall at something just under 100 mph. The car is probably a total, the hit was that hard. He said first he felt the belts work and then in a mili-second he felt the HANS work. The next day he had minor neck pain but nothing substantial. He also had very minor ankle pain.

If you are going to race or do track days I strongly suggest you invest in a HANS at the same time you buy a suit, shoes and gloves.

Last edited by racerbob4; 08-19-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

I'm a bit unclear on things. It doesn't say whether Impact Racing (Bill Simpson) knew that these parts are/were counterfeit. I'd like to know the full story before I bad mouth a guy that has had a decent reputation in the racing world.
That issue aside, I did go out to the garage and check my helmet. It's from Impact (I always had Simpson helmets before, and bought from his new company when he started that), about a year and a half old, and the mounts aren't magnetic.
I would like to think (until proven otherwise), if they didn't know about the counterfeit issue when they installed the anchors, that Impact would now be contacting customers about this issue. As the letter above is dated just yesterday, I suppose it might take a few days for Impact to notify their past customers. Nevertheless, I think I'll give them a call anyway.
Just out of curiosity, what are the genuine anchors made of? I'm assuming, from the looks and non-magnetic property, that the anchors in my helmet are stainless steel.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That email is not from Hans, that is from a dealer, and I don't think this guy did anyone involved a favor. The title of his email would lead someone to believe there was an issue with Hans, which reading his letter the issue is with Impact.

I can't find anything on the Hans site about this, only this blurp on the Hans Twitter page:

HANS Performance Products has found counterfeit Post Anchor parts on a helmet purchased from Impact Racing Products. More to come.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 08-20-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
That email is not from Hans, that is from a dealer, and I don't think this guy did anyone involved a favor. The title of his email would lead someone to believe there was an issue with Hans, which reading his letter the issue is with Impact.

I can't find anything on the Hans site about this, only this blurp on the Hans Twitter page:

HANS Performance Products has found counterfeit Post Anchor parts on a helmet purchased from Impact Racing Products. More to come.
Not sure how you could have misunderstood the message that some may think Hans is counterfeiting their own parts??? The email I received was from a dealer and I didn't find it important to delete that dealers text. HANS sent out the press release to all of it's dealers and they are spreading the word. It's pretty clear that the issue in question is directly related to IRP (at this time), but HANS wisely chose to go ahead and made the announcement to let people know to check their anchors while the investigation is in process.

Another dealers post:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30288
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Racer2B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert's email seems pretty explicit to me. As stated, the real email was the press release, he just added some of his own commentary in the beginning.

Hans always seems to have some BS going on to take care of counterfeiters, it sucks.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The way Bob titled his email, "HANS USERS BEWARE" gives me the initial impression there is a Hans issue.

If Hans has an issue with a helmet manufacturer they should have spread the word, not relied on dealers who will add their two cents. imho

Originally Posted by sperkins
Not sure how you could have misunderstood the message that some may think Hans is counterfeiting their own parts??? The email I received was from a dealer and I didn't find it important to delete that dealers text. HANS sent out the press release to all of it's dealers and they are spreading the word. It's pretty clear that the issue in question is directly related to IRP (at this time), but HANS wisely chose to go ahead and made the announcement to let people know to check their anchors while the investigation is in process.

Another dealers post:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30288
Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Ouch!

Thanks for sending that!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received that email from Howard Bennett
Director of Sales and Technical Services at HANS.

It must be real or HANS wouldn't be notifying their dealers and customers.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else get this email from HANS about counterfeit Post Anchors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else get this email from HANS about counterfeit Post Anchors?