Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Geauxtigers
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Tire upgrade?

Broad question, but at what point do you know it's time to switch from streets to r compounds? Tell tale signs?

I've done about 20 de days so not a novice looking to upgrade after one event but certainly a lot to learn ahead.

How much cost does that switch add to this habit?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Nittos or Toyos are great combo tires.

True Rs need to be trailered to the event.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran two full seasons on street tires at the recommendation of instructors and more experienced friends. Based on discussions with forum members I moved to Nitto 555RII Extreme Roadrace, which are DOT legal competition R-comp have enough tread to give some capability if you get caught in rain and don't need to be shaved to perform well. They're the same compound as the Toyo R888 but much cheaper and are being replaced (I believe) by the NT-01.

I've been very pleased with the performance which is better than street but not quite the same level as a Hooiser A6/R6. Check Discount Tire on-line for best prices.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Broad question, but at what point do you know it's time to switch from streets to r compounds? Tell tale signs?

I've done about 20 de days so not a novice looking to upgrade after one event but certainly a lot to learn ahead.

I have less than 20 de days and I've been on R-comps (nittos and hoosiers) for all of them. I know everyone says this is a big mistake and it's dangerous and a bad way to learn, but it has worked fine for me so far. Prior to buying my vette and starting hpde, I did have a little auto-x experience and I also went to bondurant to learn basic skills needed for driving on the track. I would say with 20 track days you would definitely have more fun with R-comps due to the added grip/speed they provide. As far as extra costs, it will primarily be the added stress on the brakes over street tires. This led me to cooling ducts, ss lines, and recently the lg g-stop front brake kit. Plus the r-comps won't last as long as harder street tires and you may find yourself wanting more camber, sway bars, and poly bushings . This is just my experience and a different point of view for you to consider .

Bill.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you can slide the streets comfortably
Old 08-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1) When you can safely and consistently correct over/understeer from your current setup.
2) When you are running lap times close or equal to drivers better than you, indicating you are near the car's grip potential.
3) When you are matching or passing equal cars with R compounds!

Have you ever spun on track and had no idea what happened, or simply felt you didn't have control? Many brag they have never spun or gone off track and I'm not suggesting in any way you 'go for it', but without losing grip and experiencing the tires limit you'll never know what it takes to fix it.

Disclaimer:

You don't have to reach any of these goals to switch to R compound tires as increased grip will no doubt help you achieve a better handling car. However, a tire with more grip will mask any shortcomings if you make the move prematurely and will put you in a situation you're not ready for.

There are many factors that can contribute to escalating costs. You can keep it simple and do nothing or:

1) It's best to get an alignment if you're going to maximize R compounds usefulness.
2) Spare wheels vs. mounting/dismounting
3) Increased performance will reveal weak links like the need for better brakes, shocks, sway bars....etc....
4) It's best to keep it simple if you are watching costs. There's no end to mods you can do, just financing to do them.

Mike
Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you are running in the top half of the cars in the advanced group. And, when you're willing to spend more money on brakes. You will burn up the stock brakes if you run fast and have sticky tires.

Dog
Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Geauxtigers
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all. Sounds like it is time for me to upgrade, at least to the DOT approved R comp tires before making the final jump. I'm at the point where i'm comfortable sliding the car, correcting over/understeer, and recently i've been turning faster lap times than other comparable cars already running hoosiers and other r compound tires.

I'm going to miss that safety squeal a little bit, but i'm looking forward to the extra grip.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks all. Sounds like it is time for me to upgrade, at least to the DOT approved R comp tires before making the final jump. I'm at the point where i'm comfortable sliding the car, correcting over/understeer, and recently i've been turning faster lap times than other comparable cars already running hoosiers and other r compound tires.

I'm going to miss that safety squeal a little bit, but i'm looking forward to the extra grip.
Hoosiers make noise to just different noise. You will do fine at the stage your at. you will just be goning faster when the Hoosier slide out. Ramp up slowly and put the proper camber in the car for the Hoosiers. Then watch the other parts on the car expire faster!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I have less than 20 de days and I've been on R-comps (nittos and hoosiers) for all of them. I know everyone says this is a big mistake and it's dangerous and a bad way to learn, but it has worked fine for me so far. Prior to buying my vette and starting hpde, I did have a little auto-x experience and I also went to bondurant to learn basic skills needed for driving on the track. I would say with 20 track days you would definitely have more fun with R-comps due to the added grip/speed they provide.

Bill.
With an attitude like that Bill, you will NEVER be able to join the R Compound Police Squad See you this Sunday!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually advise people to stay with their street tires, because they think they are ready for r-compounds before they are really qualified to handle them. However, in your case I do advise going to the r-compounds, because I think you are ready.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire upgrade?

Quick Reply: Tire upgrade?