Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test and tune results - Pfadt SS front bar and inverted shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:40 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Test and tune results - Pfadt SS front bar and inverted shocks

Just wanted to send out a quick to the guys over at Pfadt. Yesterday I installed a slightly used C6Z SS Front bar and a brand new set of inverted shocks. I went out to a test and tune autocross today, starting with everything set as close to the stock setup as possible. I put in roughly 35 runs today, playing with alignment, pressures, shocks and bar.

Going into today, I had issues with corner entry understeer and mid-corner wash-out. Corner exit was ok and power down was decent, though snap oversteer was a constant concern.

Using pyrometer and tire wear data, I settled on an alignment that was essentially the same as I had been previously running. We then attacked the bar and shocks. After several different setting changes, I found the right setup for me (VERY different from the stock stuff), and all I can say is WOW! Turn-in response is almost instantaneous, while the rear end stays planted. Mid-corner wash-out is gone, and power-down on corner exit is more confident and break-away is more progressive with throttle-on oversteer more controllable.

For just shocks and front bar tuning, it transformed the car! As you can imagine, with 35 runs, I got pretty consistent with the course, and I was consistently running 1.5-2 seconds faster on a 55 second course, and more importantly it was EASIER to drive the car fast and consistent. A big to those guys with the shocks and that bar. Excellent craftsmanship, adjustability and matched well to the other stock suspension pieces required by SCCA SS class rules!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I'm extremely pleased with the same setup.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
David Borden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great report! Where did you settle on the shock adjustments front and rear? Was it near the middle of the adjustments or at either end?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Go Pfadt!

-Adam
Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

For my driving style, I liked the rears at 6 and the fronts at 12 (for consistency) and 16 for max turn in (unforgiving though...if I over drove or over-braked in a corner, the run was wasted). For my driving style, I had to stiffen the front of the car a LOT. Softening the rear up gave me more progressive and more controllable break-away on corner exit.

Your results may vary
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 AM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Fun day on sunday, it was really hot and i was exhausted by the time i got home.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
For my driving style, I liked the rears at 6 and the fronts at 12 (for consistency) and 16 for max turn in (unforgiving though...if I over drove or over-braked in a corner, the run was wasted). For my driving style, I had to stiffen the front of the car a LOT. Softening the rear up gave me more progressive and more controllable break-away on corner exit.

Your results may vary
I have the Addco 35mm hollow bar and the Pfadt shocks on my Z51. 10 front and 6 rear seems to be where I'm happiest...if anything, I might soften the rear a bit more.

stiffer front bar is a must on the Z51 for autox, imo...I tried stock, 32mm hollow, 35mm hollow, and 35mm solid
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by aggie_corvette
Fun day on sunday, it was really hot and i was exhausted by the time i got home.

What? HOT? You think drinking 2 gallons of water each and STILL be dehydrated was HOT? I definitely owe you a few for your help! Just let me know when you want some motor/powertrain work
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

-Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To Test and tune results - Pfadt SS front bar and inverted shocks

Quick Reply: Test and tune results - Pfadt SS front bar and inverted shocks