Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a C5 win the 09 Runoffs or must you have a C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Could a C5 win the 09 Runoffs or must you have a C6

Ok, no Viper or guys or prancing horses chime in and say neither.

I searched on the web, I searched here, but couldn't find any recent discussion about what will work for a front runner in T1.

Bottom line, I see that some C5's are still winning nationals, but I haven't dug far enough to see the car counts... Could a C5 make the podium at Road America - whether it be this year or next? Or is the C6 that much better? I understand you've gotta be a small guy to make weight on the C5.

I'm not a newbie - been racing since 92.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I think it's all in the minimum weights, and the LS3 C6's are heavy. You should track down Chris Ingle and see what he thinks. There is no overall performance advantage in a C6 in my opinion, but SCCA may have F'd up the base weights giving one an advantage over the other.

Obviously, the C5 will be phased out of legality, so I don't think I'd BUILD one now.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah, I wouldn't build one, but buy a done one.

Thanks for the quick input!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lance Knupp qualified with a 2:24 at RA a few years ago in a C5, with 100lbs off it should be good enough to be up front for the Run-Offs, getting a C5 down to weight can be difficult but there are a few in the country that can do it so it is possible.
They are by far the cheapest way to get into T1.
I happen to have a T1 C5 and am local so feel free if you have any questions.

Scott
Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I think it's all in

Obviously, the C5 will be phased out of legality, so I don't think I'd BUILD one now.

The C5 will be good for 10 years after the last model year so that means legal to 2014.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible. All the C6 cars could break. Otherwise, not likely.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I think both the Vipers and the Dancing Ponies will be strong, even though I know you didn't want to talk specifically about them. I would say that, of the Vettes legal for T1, the C5 is the underdog on pure performance - though not by a whole lot. Look at last years Runoffs where Ingle spun on lap 1 after contact with a Viper, and then drove back up through the field - passing all but one of the C5's - and ended up finishing the race in 5th (I think) but got penalized and moved back a little. C6 Corvettes were running 1st and 3rd until Aquilante had contact with a spun car and cut down a tire. No C5 was really even close to the front-running C6's.

The HP of the LS3 will matter at RA, the LS2 is a great package with less weight to drag around. The biggest advantage the C5 has, IMHO, is reliability. You can count on the fact that you can put in a fresh, strong motor, run it hard all week, and still be there to finish the race. Even with the dry sumps the LS3's are still going kablooey.

I know there are some C5 guys that have very well developed cars and will drive the wheels off of them - and I will be rooting for them - but I don't think it will be enough.

Here are my guesses:

- Qualifying times will be in the mid/low 23's
- A Viper will win
- An LS3 Vette will run near the front and blow up
- No C5's on the podium, and if one's in the top 5 it will be well behind the leaders as far as laptimes
Old 08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
All the C6 cars could break.
nearly happened last year didn't it?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:37 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikahb
I think both the Vipers and the Dancing Ponies will be strong, even though I know you didn't want to talk specifically about them. I would say that, of the Vettes legal for T1, the C5 is the underdog on pure performance - though not by a whole lot. Look at last years Runoffs where Ingle spun on lap 1 after contact with a Viper, and then drove back up through the field - passing all but one of the C5's - and ended up finishing the race in 5th (I think) but got penalized and moved back a little. C6 Corvettes were running 1st and 3rd until Aquilante had contact with a spun car and cut down a tire. No C5 was really even close to the front-running C6's.

The HP of the LS3 will matter at RA, the LS2 is a great package with less weight to drag around. The biggest advantage the C5 has, IMHO, is reliability. You can count on the fact that you can put in a fresh, strong motor, run it hard all week, and still be there to finish the race. Even with the dry sumps the LS3's are still going kablooey.

I know there are some C5 guys that have very well developed cars and will drive the wheels off of them - and I will be rooting for them - but I don't think it will be enough.

Here are my guesses:

- Qualifying times will be in the mid/low 23's
- A Viper will win
- An LS3 Vette will run near the front and blow up
- No C5's on the podium, and if one's in the top 5 it will be well behind the leaders as far as laptimes
nice analysis. In the end, a C5 will run well at Road America but the track favors HP/TQ and they are short there in comparison. Hope they can get a LS3 to live.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good Luck to everyone.

Long straights and hard braking zones favor the vipers and Ferrari.

how many races have the newer LS3 dry sump motors done ? and how is that LS3 holding up?

The big advantage for the C5 with a fresh LS6 create motor is reliability. Except for changing brake pads, rotors and maybe calipers for every session.

The top competitors no matter what they run will be on fresh tires each each session on track. Six sessions, Race, Q1, Q2, three practice = 6 sets of new tires.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

A C5 can run up front. Lance proved a C5 could run a 24.9 and the cars now are at least 70-80 lbs lighter. They can also use the C6 brakes which will make them much more consistent. The tires are also better. The Ferraris, Vipers and LS2 will walk away from both the C5s and LS3s (because of the weight).

Either Tucker or Zabinsky (if he's running this year) will win it with Buttermore in 2d...then another Ferrari, Viper, Viper...and then the C5s and LS3s will be "battling" for 6th on back.

I think the LS3s with the dry sump will survive...but it won't be me proving it.

And I think somebody said that the best time will be a 2:23. For qualifying, my money is on a Ferrari to do a 21.9 or better. Buttermore will have a monster in his car and be in the 22s. No LS3 will be within 2 seconds.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

21.9 is cooking
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey it could rain and throw all that stuff out the window, remember this is WI in September. Now that I think about it hell it could snow!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Either Tucker or Zabinsky (if he's running this year) will win it with Buttermore in 2d...then another Ferrari, Viper, Viper...and then the C5s and LS3s will be "battling" for 6th on back.
I hope you are wrong, Chris.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I do too Dave, but I don't think I will be. You guys just saw the tip of the iceberg at the Sprints.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input... Been talking to a couple T1 guys off line.

Just trying to find a class that is a decent size, yet still involves fast car. I loved the competition of Spec Miata, but was bored with the pace. Bought this GT1 car - intoxicated with the speed, but can't keep it running long enough to get into the mix...

There was a 360 Challenge car on e-bay, but it's not selling at 65k which is a bit more than I should spent. There are plenty of T1 C5's under 40k, but I would like to be scrapping at the front...

Still attactive though.. save some money -have a reliable car and hopefully fight for some wins at regular national races...

Get notified of new replies

To Could a C5 win the 09 Runoffs or must you have a C6

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
A C5 can run up front. Lance proved a C5 could run a 24.9 and the cars now are at least 70-80 lbs lighter. They can also use the C6 brakes which will make them much more consistent. The tires are also better. The Ferraris, Vipers and LS2 will walk away from both the C5s and LS3s (because of the weight).

I think the LS3s with the dry sump will survive...but it won't be me proving it.

And I think somebody said that the best time will be a 2:23. For qualifying, my money is on a Ferrari to do a 21.9 or better. Buttermore will have a monster in his car and be in the 22s. No LS3 will be within 2 seconds.
You guys. What am I hearing here? Do what racers have always done to run up front--cheat. Jeez.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:10 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Thanks for all the input... Been talking to a couple T1 guys off line.

Just trying to find a class that is a decent size, yet still involves fast car. I loved the competition of Spec Miata, but was bored with the pace. Bought this GT1 car - intoxicated with the speed, but can't keep it running long enough to get into the mix...

There was a 360 Challenge car on e-bay, but it's not selling at 65k which is a bit more than I should spent. There are plenty of T1 C5's under 40k, but I would like to be scrapping at the front...

Still attactive though.. save some money -have a reliable car and hopefully fight for some wins at regular national races...
It sounds like you are talking about ST2
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by l98terror
it sounds like you are talking about PTA

Quick Reply: Could a C5 win the 09 Runoffs or must you have a C6