Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone competing in Autocross & Time Trials

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone competing in Autocross & Time Trials

I have been running my C5Z in SCCA super stock for a couple of years now and have done pretty well with it. It would be fun to run NASA time trial events in TTA also. Here is what I would have to switch back and forth between the clubs to be legal, competitive, and safe:

Brake rotors
Brake pads
Sway bars
Shocks
Tires (need 295 A6's all the way around vs. 315 rear for autocross)
Seats (I'm not running on a track with out a race seat & Hans)
Harness (instead of a 4 pt on stock seats for autocross)

This sounds like A LOT of work to be competitive in each club. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run both autocross and time trials competitively? Any one doing this?

Chris Shay
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

For TT rules the rotors, pads, seats, and harnesses are all free. To stay in TTA you'll have to see what points you have to fit in the tire size and compound, the shocks, and sway bars. Sway bars are only two points!

Use this link for a XLS TT point calculator. If you can't open XLS get open office, it's free.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....&sd=a&start=10
Old 08-28-2009, 03:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
I have been running my C5Z in SCCA super stock for a couple of years now and have done pretty well with it. It would be fun to run NASA time trial events in TTA also. Here is what I would have to switch back and forth between the clubs to be legal, competitive, and safe:

Brake rotors
Brake pads
Sway bars
Shocks
Tires (need 295 A6's all the way around vs. 315 rear for autocross)
Seats (I'm not running on a track with out a race seat & Hans)
Harness (instead of a 4 pt on stock seats for autocross)

This sounds like A LOT of work to be competitive in each club. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run both autocross and time trials competitively? Any one doing this?

Chris Shay
Once you put a set of 295 R or A6s on a C5Z most of your points are gone. Sways and shocks will put you in TTS,,,

Seats and belts are free.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Once you put a set of 295 R or A6s on a C5Z most of your points are gone. Sways and shocks will put you in TTS,,,

Seats and belts are free.
He could go with the Spec Ireland setup...

T1 swaybars
04 Z06 shocks
295 Hoosier A6's

Something I would suggest looking at for TT would be oil, transmission and diff coolers. Its overkill for autoX but good insurance for open track. But, if you go with the T1 swaybars, you would have to change the rear back to stock when you go to run SS as that won't be legal for that class. I'm not sure if the Z06 is illegal or not for SS.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Burnsey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random thought - how about stainless steel brake lines and a brake fluid upgrade? Not sure what that does to your classification, but it's a good idea for open track stuff...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Let me clarify, here is what I have been running for autocross.

SCCA Super Stock
Koni single adjustable
Factory pads (track pads change too much over a run)
Factory rotors or somthing similar
32mm front Sway bar (or stock)
Stock Seat (Stock rules)
4 pt harness (no where to put the 5th strap on a stock seat and its not really needed)
295 front & 315 wide Hoosiers

This is what I would run for time trials.

NASA TTA
Stock shocks (Konis bump you out of TTA)
Track pads (somthing like Carbotech XP10)
Rotors bedded with the track pads
Race seat and Hans (for safety)
6 point harness (for safety)
T1 sway bars (for performance)
295 wide Hoosier (the max width for TTA)

This is a lot of stuff to change back and forth between events. So what other choices do I have to minimize the switch over?

1. Buy another C5Z and have one set up for each (accepting donations for this)
2. Run a different class (I dont know of any other clases that would be similar)
3. Give up on time trials and just run track days (no competition = no fun for me)
4. Get a divorce so I can spend a couple nights during the week to switch all this stuff over.

Any other ideas???
Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

You could move to ASP for the autocross portion, which opens up poly bushings, headers, air intake mods, tires/rims of your choice (no flares) harness bar with racing seat, umm something else. Not sure if the open track mods change anything class wise (IE coolers). Brake lines are OK IIRC.

ASP cars are usually a touch quicker (and honestly sometimes slower) than SS cars. At the national level, seems the nut behind the wheel is far more important than the mods done and setup of a c5z, as many people have changed setups and gone slower /shrug

Can't do coilovers for ASP, can't gut the car. Can't help with the NASA rules sorry.

Fej

Last edited by fej; 08-28-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, give up on SS and move to ASP or SSM.

Now if I can just convince 38 more SS guys to move on I'd have a chance....
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I ran Super Stock autox for 2 years. I switched to Nasa TT this year. If I run an autox, I just run what I have in ASP or E2 NCCC.
If I ran national autox, then I would have to change bars and rear tires for SS.
I think you have to pick one to be serious about and competitive in and one to just have some fun, so as to not to be constantly changing setups.
My vote is for TT, never had so much fun, plus Hoosier contingency. Its awesome.

JRL
03 Z06
TTA #17
Old 08-29-2009, 07:40 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Let me clarify, here is what I have been running for autocross.

SCCA Super Stock
Koni single adjustable
Factory pads (track pads change too much over a run)
Factory rotors or somthing similar
32mm front Sway bar (or stock)
Stock Seat (Stock rules)
4 pt harness (no where to put the 5th strap on a stock seat and its not really needed)
295 front & 315 wide Hoosiers

This is what I would run for time trials.

NASA TTA
Stock shocks (Konis bump you out of TTA)
Track pads (somthing like Carbotech XP10)
Rotors bedded with the track pads
Race seat and Hans (for safety)
6 point harness (for safety)
T1 sway bars (for performance)
295 wide Hoosier (the max width for TTA)

This is a lot of stuff to change back and forth between events. So what other choices do I have to minimize the switch over?

1. Buy another C5Z and have one set up for each (accepting donations for this)
2. Run a different class (I dont know of any other clases that would be similar)
3. Give up on time trials and just run track days (no competition = no fun for me)
4. Get a divorce so I can spend a couple nights during the week to switch all this stuff over.

Any other ideas???
You can run NASA TTS with your setup - no changes required and you will be competitive. You could probably take out the passenger seat and a few other items to get your wt closer to 8.7 to 1.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
He could go with the Spec Ireland setup...

T1 swaybars
04 Z06 shocks
295 Hoosier A6's
ASP/TTA

I suspect that once you start TT'ing more, you'll be autocrossing less. Which means you won't be going for season points. So what class you are in when you're there isn't important, it's the seat-time that matters.

If it were me, I'd:
Sell the Konis, sell the 315's. Sell the stock seats. Sell the wife's dog if you have to. Put this money towards entry fees.

For this autocrosser, it was/is definitely worth sacrificing my autox setup to maximize TT setup.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
MRZ5
Racer

once u start running in TT,, u won't be back for auto
Old 08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Autocross is my passion for one reason, competition. Most weekends, I get to see how I compare to some of the best drivers in the US. I haven't seen very high entry numbers in NASA TT. Five people in a class is really small to me. I'm looking forward to a 50 - 60 class field in Super Stock at nationals next week. Locally, there are still 10 - 20 fast guys to compare against on PAX. NASA seems to only get about 5 people in TTA. Am I wrong here?

I'll read through the TTS allowances and see how much I'm out gunned with SCCA SS trim. I'm guessing that I'm giving up one or two seconds to a prepped TTS car.

Thanks for the comments & suggestions,
Chris Shay
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

...... NASA seems to only get about 5 people in TTA. Am I wrong here?

I'll read through the TTS allowances and see how much I'm out gunned with SCCA SS trim. I'm guessing that I'm giving up one or two seconds to a prepped TTS car.

Thanks for the comments & suggestions,
Chris Shay
Depends on the venue - I have had as many as ~15 in TTA at Road Atlanta. TT is usually limited to 35-45 cars total so it sometimes depends on who signs up first.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone competing in Autocross & Time Trials

Quick Reply: Anyone competing in Autocross & Time Trials