Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoptech Made in China - Not a Concern???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Stoptech Made in China - Not a Concern???

In researching for a BBK I found Stoptech products are made in China. I'm wondering why there are no negative comments on their products due to the country of origin.

If someone even mentions running wheels or any other component made in China the outrage and posts of comdemnation are fast and furious. Not sure why it's not an issue with Stoptech?

Rick
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

depends how often they visit and inspect.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because a product is made in China doesn't mean it's automatically crap. Stoptech has proven over and over again that their products are quality.

The problem with repro wheels/rotors/etc. that are made in China is that they have all too often proven themselves to be of poor quality, and thus people have associated China with poor production. In the end, it's just a generalization.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Just because a product is made in China doesn't mean it's automatically crap. Stoptech has proven over and over again that their products are quality.

The problem with repro wheels/rotors/etc. that are made in China is that they have all too often proven themselves to be of poor quality, and thus people have associated China with poor production. In the end, it's just a generalization.

Buyer beware.

No, no it's not a generalization. It is a lot more of an evolving situation.

Read Kiplinger's, today. That will be an eye opener, or type in "Chinese Steel Quality" and see what is there.

I will be expecting to pay a lot more for my steel parts.

The real worry may be CAN we even get parts that are not questionable?

TJM
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I believe Coleman is the only Made in the USA Brake rotor or those brands that buy from Coleman

That's second hand so I'm not sure how true that is.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

China The caliper in now made in China or just the rotor? Either way price rules in China not quality. They could not even make a bolt for structural steel building frames, you know like skyscrapers? They were found sub-standard after millions being sold and in buildings

They can't make toys, dog food, medicine and on and on. Caught cheating on all of them.

Last time I checked caliper from Stoptech was forged in Taiwan and machined here but we know that could change in a week due to profit motives. May be thet will be sold in Walmart soon. If you keep buying crap from Chine you would be able to buy anything made here.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-31-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

As long as the shareholders are happy thats all that counts.....
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So far I have been very happy with all of the products that I have gotten from StopTech, trust me as soon as I see that the products are less than I have expected I will make it known.
I have been pleased with the rotors that I have gotten for the 14" kits and even the 13" rotors that we run on our T1/ST2 car. My sales rep at StopTech has assured me that they will always use quality metal in there rotors and that they repetally check the consistancy of there products.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
john bulba
Intermediate

From what I remember being told by there lead engineer ...
Caliper bodys are forged overseas.
Rotors are made in Italy
Seals are made in Germany or Sweden
All machining and assembly is done in house in California.....
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a bit crazy with my family hauler/ski car, Subaru Forester XT(modded to STI and well beyond level, only thing in the engine bay and drivetrain, subframes, etc......not replaced was the steel fuel and rear brake lines) STI brakes, Stoptech one piece rotors, LOTS of air ducted to them.

I cracked a rotor all the way into the hub on a typical very hot day at MMP. I called them the next day, they paid for overnight shipping because they wanted it asap to test and they sent new rotors right away. I was quite impressed with their seriousness about this, so much so I just went ahead and bought their complete STI 4 piston front BBK

Before I installed the brakes and 305 race tires I was going to run (moved up from 245's) I decided it was time to build a full out race car, parted the Forester out, now I have a bad **** race Vette I am building and ordered their 6/4 piston kit for it.

Rick
Old 09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I got a bit crazy with my family hauler/ski car, Subaru Forester XT(modded to STI and well beyond level, only thing in the engine bay and drivetrain, subframes, etc......not replaced was the steel fuel and rear brake lines) STI brakes, Stoptech one piece rotors, LOTS of air ducted to them.

I cracked a rotor all the way into the hub on a typical very hot day at MMP. I called them the next day, they paid for overnight shipping because they wanted it asap to test and they sent new rotors right away. I was quite impressed with their seriousness about this, so much so I just went ahead and bought their complete STI 4 piston front BBK

Before I installed the brakes and 305 race tires I was going to run (moved up from 245's) I decided it was time to build a full out race car, parted the Forester out, now I have a bad **** race Vette I am building and ordered their 6/4 piston kit for it.

Rick
Who did you purchase them from? Stoptech directly
Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got them from

http://worldoneperformance.com/index.php

and a bit of a break on them, great service really

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Stoptech Made in China - Not a Concern???

Quick Reply: Stoptech Made in China - Not a Concern???