Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel cell vent/over flow

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Fuel cell vent/over flow

On my fuel safe fuel cell in my Grand Sport, I am running the vent above the fuel cell and have a roll over valve on the filler neck as well. When I fill my tank I do not know when its full as I found out the other day when I filled it up and had fuel coming out of the vent. Can I run a T in the line on the vent, one for the vent (above the tank) and the other as an over flow???? Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

so you should have a rollover valve on the vent, as I assume the filler neck is sealed when closed right??? If the vent is higher than the filler, the neck should overfill before it goes out of the vent. If you have a valved in the filler, then you probably need to raise the filler above the vent exit.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have a roll over valve in the vent line <maybe you already do> and it should exit to air higher than the fill neck. I wouldn't add a T or an overflow its just another thing to drain etc. If the vent does not exit above the filler neck extend it so the fill neck over flows and you can see it.

Mat
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

the vent is above the rollover valve in the fuel cell itself but not the filler neck. If I fill it to the rollover valve on the filler side there is only one place for it to go which would be the vent? Do I need the vent to go higher, and it would still be the same problem correct? Understand not putting a T in the system.
thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Dave you are correct, I need to run the vent up to the filler neck height, just spoke with Fuel safe. Many thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

where do you WANT the fuel to go when it is full??? It has to either go out of the vent, or back out the filler neck. It should be as simple as having the vent higher than the neck.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

easy fix it will go back into the filler neck
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You might want to also consider having the line long enough to have acouple of loops before it ends. This helped resolve he same problem for me a few years ago.

Ed
Old 09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

You might also consider not using a filler neck. OEMs do huge R&D for fuel tank safety. We just guess at what we think we need. The safest thing you can do is let the cell do its job and contain 100% of the fuel in the cell at all times vs take a chance that you have overfilled the cell and leave fuel in the neck. The safety of the fuel system is in the cell. A neck can hold a good qt or more fuel which is plenty to make a big fire if it brakes off in a collision.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

thanks for the comments re-did the vent today and tied it back to the filler neck. On the and Sport I need a filler neck

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel cell vent/over flow

Quick Reply: Fuel cell vent/over flow