Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 days at the Bondurant Grand Prix Racing Class in August

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
no spin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 days at the Bondurant Grand Prix Racing Class in August

I started doing HPDE’s almost 4 years ago. As everyone knows the key to getting better is seat time. But for various reasons I haven’t been able to get much of that. As a result my progress suffered and driving mostly solo for the last 2 years at the three tracks I go to wasn’t helping. I needed a way to learn some advanced techniques that I could practice and jumpstart my learning curve as well as get some uninterupted seat time. It seemed Bondurant might be just the ticket.
Lesson one: Don’t make fun of others choice of vehicles. Our first evening out, on the way back from dinner I spotted a Smart Car with a tag that read FASTCEO. Now just the mere mention of the color green would set my wife off like a junk yard dog. So seeing one of those little cars and being a smart azz she commented, Yea right only in his wildest dreams. Well the next day that car showed up at the track and Mr. Bondurant and his dog Rusty were inside the building greeting the students.

Day One: After the tour we all piled into the Express passengers vans for a demo of vehicle control. I drive the cargo version of one of these for a living. Never would I think it was possible to drive these vans like they do. I have never gotten car sick in my life but I was starting to feel a little queasy, fortunately the lady sitting in front of me had a nice neck so I just starred at it for the rest of the demo. Then it was our turn in the CTS to get a feel for when the car pushes as we drive a circle with increasing speed and to see how fast it corrects when you let off of the gas. Next, out to the track for a good half hour of heel toe shifting exercise. After lunch, braking and emergency lane change exercises then more track time learning trail braking on an oval. Not a real intense day but still a lot learned.

Day Two: Into the skid cars for a lesson on how to recover from under and over steer situations. This was a lot of fun and something I have not done since I was a kid going out into a local parking lot Sunday morning after a fresh snow. Then threshold braking exercises and back to the track for the rest of the day learning proper corner entry, apex and exit for different types of corners and putting our heel toe lessons to work. A lot more track time today and I took advantage of the 2 hour shifter kart class in the evening. That was a lot of fun but more tiring then driving the vettes.

Day Three: The day started with more skid car exercises then out to the track for a full day of practicing what we’ve learned and changing the track configuration to teach us how to adapt to new tracks. Then a little practice with race starts and restarts and then a lot more track time.

Day Four: Formula Mazda Day apparently I did not get the memo, I noticed all my fellow students were wearing driving shoes I was wearing my hiking shoes, bad idea. There is nothing worse than trying to rev match or control the gas and brake with those on in that little cockpit. After a quick introduction we spent the whole day doing laps. They were so much fun I hated coming in to rest and cool off.
Bob was out on the track that morning with his Smart Car doing hot laps. Then he took out the passenger van for some hot laps. Shortly after that about thirty corvettes showed up from surrounding area Corvette clubs. Some of the braver ones piled into the van and Bob took them out for a hell ride around the track. While we were having lunch they got into their vettes and got some paced laps in on the track. While I was preparing to go back on track in the Formula Mazda I noticed my wife had cornered Bob and was talking to him for about 10 minutes as he was trying to leave in his Smart Car I was kind of hoping he would take her for a ride on track in it. That might shut her up.

The four day class was so much fun and everyone (staff and students) were so pleasant that although you were constantly learning something the learning became secondary to the fun of the whole experience.
I think the area was setting some record temperatures while I was there, but I was comfortable the whole time. The patio area and hot pit are covered from the sun. Ice cold towels were available to cool you off. There was plenty of cold water to drink and if you wanted to you can get into the air conditioned buildings while you’re taking a break. We were finished by three every day before it really starts to get hot and it gave you some time to rest up so you can go out and enjoy the scenery in the evening. If you have never been to the desert, the valley area is very pretty not what you might expect.
For anyone who’s survived a weekend at Sebring, Road Atlanta or Vir in the summer heat and humidity, Phoenix is a piece of cake. If you’ve been thinking about doing a course even if you have never been on a race track I highly recommend this school and the GPR course.
At the end of the last day we went over want we’ve learned the last few days and the progress made, really nice plaques were handed out to the graduates and then unfortunately it was time to go home.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Vendor Donor '08-'09

Thank you so much for the nice words! It's always great to hear feedback from students. We hope to see you out here again soon!

Warm regards,

The Bondurant School.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice write-up!

Do you think your driving improved a lot as a result of the course?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
no spin
Instructor

[QUOTE=Independent1;1571342094]

Do you think your driving improved a lot as a result of the course?

QUOTE]

Yes it did.
I think one my biggest problems on track are distractions whether it is an instructor in the passenger seat or other students on track. There were 5 students in or group for the most part we were all spread out. That eliminated that distraction. The instructor would take you out in his car and show you what was expected then you would go out and practice for a while then the instructor would ride with you for a few lap and have you make corrections if needed then let you go back out by yourself and work on what he wanted you to correct. That allowed me to relax and focus.

I think I have broken myself of choking the steering wheel. Once I did that consistant laps became much easier.

I understand trailing braking now and can feel how do balance the car going into a turn. I didn't realise how much my car was pushing into a turn. This has made me alot faster in turns. Now I just need to practice it alot more.

My heel toe was pretty consistant before I started the class but I was doing it wrong which put unnecessary strain on my knee and hip.

And most important what to do if you spin. After driving the Formula Mazda for a full day I'm less afraid to drive a car faster on track with the nannies turned off.

Now I just need to get and practice what I've learned (except spinning).

Get notified of new replies

To 4 days at the Bondurant Grand Prix Racing Class in August

Quick Reply: 4 days at the Bondurant Grand Prix Racing Class in August