Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering system leaking only when racing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Power steering system leaking only when racing.

Okay, not racing, but HPDE's. My PS system is well cooled, with a stock z51 fin and tube junk cooler, and a pass through my aluminum aftermarket radiator. The coolant in the radiator doesn't get above 225*F, but every time I run at the HPDE's, I have a big dripping mess in the engine bay. I haven't pinpointed the exact location, because it doesn't happen anywhere other than HPDE's.

I'm guessing that maybe I could be cooling a little better than I am?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't like leaking in the Paddock, but I haven't been able to solve my problem yet.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

If I fill the power steering fluid to full mark on the dip stick, it will overflow a bit out of the reservoir cap. So I don't fill it up so far. From the sound of it, you are losing a lot more fluid. I was told by the guys at Turn One to keep the power steering fluid temp below 275 degF.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could very well be the reservoir. I just put enough fluid in there to where it barely touches the dipstick. Any more than that, and it will slosh out...and the cap doesn't exactly seal really well. You can try zip tieing a rag around the cap area too and see if that solves your problem.

If that's not it, clean your whole engine compartment really, really well - engine degreaser and brake cleaner. Make sure it's nice and dry afterward. Drive it hard on the street and move the steering wheel around a lot and see if it's leaking (like you were warming up your tires).
Check for leaks. If you still don't see anything, then you may just have one of those pesky leaks that occur due to heat. Consider moving your PS cooler in front of the radiator to get direct cooling.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the replies, wtknight, I'm gonna need another one of your track tapes in a little while... I'm hoping to venture to another track soon.

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

No sweat partner...just let me know and I'll hook you up.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
errance
Pro

I had a similar issue on my new C6. I'm not sure the PS fluid leaked only on the track, but definitely a lot more there than on the street.
Chevy dealer put some UV die in the fluid and was able to trace the leak to the PS pump, which they replaced under warranty.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 AM
shifter77
Drifting

MY 2cts, overfill could definitely cause fluid overflow, in my case i had a bad reservoir that was replaced under warranty . Cauze, i had too much caster that overheated the power steering parts.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, just barely touching the dipstick when cold. i still get some sloshing out of the cap, i imagine if i put more it would go all over the place - that cap is not sealing really well.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering system leaking only when racing.

Quick Reply: Power steering system leaking only when racing.