Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 Track Car

would like to make my 07 z06 trackable. any issues with the following changes.
1. I have C5 Z06 wheels I would like to run w/ hoosier R6 tires. 315/18 on the rear and I can also run 315/18 on the front or 285/18. (have 2 sets of c5 z06 wheels). Do I have to worry about offset or 315s clearing in front?
2. Ive been told that R6's are too much tire for the stock wheel bearings. Doesnt make sense to me. I run hoosiers on my C5 and they have stock.
3.What happens when I change the stock seat to racing seat? told that the telescopic steering doesnt work? what about air bags and other computer errors?
This is a temporary change until I get my C5 back. Went over the wall @ NJMP due to a brake failure. Want to put it all back to stock after the season.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 9707vette
would like to make my 07 z06 trackable. any issues with the following changes.
1. I have C5 Z06 wheels I would like to run w/ hoosier R6 tires. 315/18 on the rear and I can also run 315/18 on the front or 285/18. (have 2 sets of c5 z06 wheels). Do I have to worry about offset or 315s clearing in front?
2. Ive been told that R6's are too much tire for the stock wheel bearings. Doesnt make sense to me. I run hoosiers on my C5 and they have stock.
3.What happens when I change the stock seat to racing seat? told that the telescopic steering doesnt work? what about air bags and other computer errors?
This is a temporary change until I get my C5 back. Went over the wall @ NJMP due to a brake failure. Want to put it all back to stock after the season.
1. I dunno!

2. I only do 5 or 6 events a year, but Hoosiers haven't any problems with the wheel bearings in my '06 Z06 yet. I expect that wheel bearings will have to be replaced in the next couple years, but running R-compounds won't immediately ruin them.

3. Pfadt makes a cable to hook into the wiring (I think under the seat) that will maintain your telescoping steering column feature. However, I'm pretty sure you'll lose all other airbag features (and you'll have the light on the dash) and the seatbelt pre-tensioner, but I presume you'll be using a harness system anyway.

You might not want to put it back to stock after you experience the power and performance of the C6 Z06!!!

Bob
Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to help you with some more responses.

1) dunno as well

2) I have been running hoosier 2 years on original bearings with no problems in sight

3) yes if you have a 2lZ or higher you will get an airbag light, but for me it hasn't done anything except that. It has not interceded in the cars operation in any way. Set your telescoping wheel first, then disconnect the battery and it will stay like that. I disconnect and reconnect my seat a few times a year without any hitch.

4) don't forget tire sensors and tool to reset them. This IS different from a C5. The car WILL go into disable mode unless you use tire sensors and reset them.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the answer to :
1. c5 zo6 wheels will NOT work on the front!!!! tried it

2. thanks for the bearing info - kinda what i thought

3. i will do a test run with the seats/air bags

4. i didnt know the tire sensor would disable the car!!!!!!!! i may just get a pair of hoosiers (any used rears out there) and put on stock wheels

thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

In my 06', as long as you shut AH/TC completely OFF before going on track, you can drive just fine. Even in competitive mode, the AH/TC slowly begins to go berserk without sensors.

C5z06 rears can be used front/rear, although I've had very minor contact at times, likely due to bearing wear. Wheel bearings will wear quicker with any track tire or track usage, but shouldn't be any more than your C5.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9707vette
the answer to :
4. i didnt know the tire sensor would disable the car!!!!!!!! i may just get a pair of hoosiers (any used rears out there) and put on stock wheels

thanks for the info.

The car thinks the tires are flat and won't let you go above 50mph. I basically bought a second set of rims, sensors, and a tool to reset them when I make the change.

Buy yourself a nice set of aftermarket wheels for the street and use the OEM at the track and you won't have issues. I love when people buy $3k+ sets of beatiful wheels for the track, only to have them trashed in a season or less at the track. Don't waste your money.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Track Car

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Track Car