Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA TTS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NASA TTS Questions

I'm sure someone on here knows but I've been unable to find it in a search so please forgive my ignorance. Do NASA TTS cars have to have full cages? I've been trying to figure out where my ASP Z06 fits into NASA time trials and it seems like TTS is the best fit. I've seen some videos that look like the cars don't have a full cage but I can't find anything in the rules that gives an exception to the part where it says TTU, TTR, and TTS cars need to comply with all safety rules from the CCR. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

All TT classes do not require a full cage. If you plan on going wheel to wheel in ST2 you need a full cage with door bars, etc. I dont think any type of roll bar is "required" for TT.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Great, thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know where that shows up in the CCR or TT rules?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Time-Trial-Rules.pdf

Scroll to page 26. It talks about roll bars being allowed and their point assessment, but no where does it say a roll bar is required for Time Trial. This is just the TT rules.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Roll cages or at least roll bars are GOOD IDEAS
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Roll cages or at least roll bars are GOOD IDEAS
Just because its not required doesnt mean you shouldnt have one.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kubs
Just because its not required doesnt mean you shouldnt have one.
Oh I definitely agree. I was just confused by seeing cars without it and my misinterpretation of the rules. I wouldn't run at the track without at least a really good roll bar. I was hoping to at least try a time trial or two before doing something to the car like putting in a full cage just to make sure it's something I want to do.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can drive your car off the showroom floor and onto the track in TT.

The only thing required is a helmet and long pants.

The list of recommended upgrades is much longer, however.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It truly amazes me that they allow these ultra fast cars to run without roll cages. The top three TT times at the last NASA event i was at were all considerably faster than every other car including all the "Thunder" race class cars...qualifying or race. With open passing and these speeds, it's nuts that there is no requirement.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

It's an old argument. TT is a stepping stone to racing. The point is to give people a chance to compete without having to have a dedicated race car. For many, the next step is then to try wheel to wheel racing. Lots prefer to stay in TT where they have plenty of fun.

You can certainly make the argument that TT lap times are often as fast or faster. But those people would run HPDE if there were no TT, so what's the difference?

If anything, one could argue that TT is safer as the drivers have had to go through more training to get there, and the competancy of those around you overall is higher, helping to keep people out of jams.

But as always, the responsibility falls on the driver, who should take it upon him/herself to add the appropriate safety equipment - at any speed; Miata or C6Z.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Also since TTers are not fighting for position, just time, its easier to let someone by or pass without an incident.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kubs
Also since TTers are not fighting for position, just time, its easier to let someone by or pass without an incident.
IN NASA Great Lakes (probably other regions, too, but I don't run with them) the TT group is tight knit and mutual respect is high. Everyone is cognizant of the other car's lap, and while unrestricted, passing is kept to a zone where neither car will lose time during a hot lap whenever possible.

There is little risk of car to car contact, but of course there is always the risk of going off track and having a single car incident.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

Personally I think roll-over is a very minor risk, compared to a fire, being T-boned, or just nosing it into the wall. Roll-cage is never a bad investment, but a roll-bar is not at the top of my priority list in DE/TT cars.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

After putting the Realty Executives Corvette into the wall at PIR, my TTS Corvette will have a new 4 pt. Pfadt roll bar with added drivers X bar added. It's not in the rules, but NASA is stressing Hans devices and Roll bars.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96solo
After putting the Realty Executives Corvette into the wall at PIR, my TTS Corvette will have a new 4 pt. Pfadt roll bar with added drivers X bar added. It's not in the rules, but NASA is stressing Hans devices and Roll bars.
That's what I was thinking of putting in because if I don't end up running in TT, it wouldn't be as big a deal to return the car to stock as a full cage.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA TTS Questions

Quick Reply: NASA TTS Questions