Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Full Course Sept. 28 & 29 by 10/10ths

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIR Full Course Sept. 28 & 29 by 10/10ths

There is plenty of room and plenty of track time at VIR Sept 28 & 29. It's only a couple weeks off and only 17 people signed up for three groups not counting instructors so far. Check it out at: http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/page/page/5236308.htm
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I thought I would bring this thread back to the top one more time. Still plenty of room for this event. This season is about over. Only about 19 people signed up so far and only about 10 days away. This is a chance to hit the track one more time this year. Looks like lots of track time (More than you probably would actually want to drive). 10/10ths is new to VIR and I would like to see them come back in the future for more events.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I thought I would bring this thread back to the top one more time. Still plenty of room for this event. This season is about over. Only about 19 people signed up so far and only about 10 days away. This is a chance to hit the track one more time this year. Looks like lots of track time (More than you probably would actually want to drive). 10/10ths is new to VIR and I would like to see them come back in the future for more events.
I wouldn't miss it! Bill manages a great event and driving in his red group is an adrenalin pumping rush. I think the black crackheads will come to their senses as the event closes in on them and will find a way to attend...it's VIR afterall and winter is fast approaching.

Last edited by Z06_505; 09-17-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: stupid grammar mistake
Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06_505
I wouldn't miss it! Bill manages a great event and driving in his red group is an adrenalin pumping rush. I think the black crackheads will come to their senses as the event closes in on them and will find a way to attend...it's VIR afterall and winter is fast approaching.
I don't get the black crackhead comment, please explain.

Yes, I am looking forward to it myself. I am signed up for the red group and this will be my first time to run a pass anywhere with no point by. I have instructed at a few events and even then there was passing zones at most events and a point by rule at all events. It will be exciteing for me for sure.

I started loading and packing up the trailer yesterday. See you there, it is getting close.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 AM
stairman
Racer

working on getting the green machine back together now.
looking forward to the event. working on getting a few more of
the locals to follow me over.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't get the black crackhead comment, please explain.

Yes, I am looking forward to it myself. I am signed up for the red group and this will be my first time to run a pass anywhere with no point by. I have instructed at a few events and even then there was passing zones at most events and a point by rule at all events. It will be exciteing for me for sure.

I started loading and packing up the trailer yesterday. See you there, it is getting close.
Actually Bill coined the phrase...black refers to the black track pavement that we so love to consume

I just finished a poly bushing and SKF hub install and so I am very excited. We have a one day event at Putnam this w/e, so I will get a chance to test them out by giving Bill's "Black Sunshine" it's usual spanking

See you at VIR.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06_505
Actually Bill coined the phrase...black refers to the black track pavement that we so love to consume
Okay, I get it now.

Is anyone else running total stock in the red group? I feel like I might be out of place. Other than brake pads and rotors I'm totally stock, down to the OEM rubber.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:01 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I get it now.

Is anyone else running total stock in the red group? I feel like I might be out of place. Other than brake pads and rotors I'm totally stock, down to the OEM rubber.

Your car mods or lack of will not be a problem in the red group, It only gives you the liberty of open passing....This does NOT mean racing or competition, just freedom....
Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
stairman
Racer

Okay, I get it now.

You will be fine with a stock car, this is just a fun track day, it ain't no race.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

19 people?? Holy crap. That sounds like a LOT of track time. I haven't seen anybody else (on the other thread) in a C4... am I going to be the only one, AGAIN?

I was wondering about the "red" group as well. I have run in the advanced group with TrackDaze without a problem, but the 10/10ths drivers seem like the red group might be a little higher caliber so I kept myself in the middle. The other difference was that in the past I have had about the fastest car out there and honestly, I'm not too used to being passed. I don't think that is even close to the case with these guys. Last thing I ever want to do is take my amateur self out there and end up being "that guy".

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 09-17-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by redls1gto
19 people?? Holy crap. That sounds like a LOT of track time. I haven't seen anybody else (on the other thread) in a C4... am I going to be the only one, AGAIN?

I was wondering about the "red" group as well. I have run in the advanced group with TrackDaze without a problem, but the 10/10ths drivers seem like the red group might be a little higher caliber so I kept myself in the middle. The other difference was that in the past I have had about the fastest car out there and honestly, I'm not too used to being passed. I don't think that is even close to the case with these guys. Last thing I ever want to do is take my amateur self out there and end up being "that guy".

Our RED group has historically been VERY well behaved and some very good drivers.
You will have the track to yourself much of the time.
Passing and being passed is a GOOD THING. It is the only way to learn.

We will be able to be very flexible with this event and if guys want to move up a group after talking to Danny or myself and we all agree on it, it will not be a problem. Moving down also will be available.

Depending on the group of drivers we get, we might even discuss doing a blended group in the afternoon to double your track time availability.

I am really looking forward to bringing 10/10ths to an absolutely great track with a great management team as well.
They have made 10/10ths feel welcome and we hope this is just the first year of many.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by redls1gto

I was about the say a very similar comment. I run in the advanced groups with other clubs but this open passing without a point is something new . Unlike you, I was used to occasionally getting passed with my previous car (modified 335i). The Z, not so much.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, open passing without a point is also new to me. I'm ready to learn the correct and safe way to go about that. You got to start somewhere.

I will need to bed a new set of track pads on my first session. Watch out for the blue C6 Z06 with tag USA1 Z06.

Anybody know what other makes (brands) of cars will be at VIR for this event besides Corvette? Just curious.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Default I'll be there

Just signed up. Looking forward to meeting some new friends. This only my 3rd event but all three have been at VIR, at the last 3 NCM HPDE events. I think I will leave my 06 at home and bring my 2000 C5. With all this time and not many cars in the green group should have plenty of time to get used to the C5. I will be at the hotel Sunday evening.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by WNeal
Passing and being passed is a GOOD THING. It is the only way to learn.

We will be able to be very flexible with this event and if guys want to move up a group after talking to Danny or myself and we all agree on it, it will not be a problem. Moving down also will be available.
It sounds like this should be a really good experience for somebody in my position. It seems like there will be a lot of fast guys there and I absolutely agree that being passed is a good thing and the only way to learn. What I meant to say, and I'm not sure that it came out correctly, was that right now I'm really not used to being passed (even with a point) and the last thing on earth I would ever want to do would be to mess up somebody else's day (or car) because I wasn't certain of myself.

I'm looking forward to being passed... now THAT is something most people won't say!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Open passing and no pointing...

This would be my first time at no point-by. I'm ok with open passing anywhere at VIR. Done that with Chin. They are pretty loose about that. My car is pretty much stock. Definitely on the power side. Not as much seat time this year either. So getting run down and passed I expect a lot of. I was considering running Intermediate just to stay out of the way. Plus that group looked small. Then again running in a pack of really fast cars is fun. It makes you really focus on track awareness.

Bill I like that idea of blending the groups or allowing jumping up and down in the afternoon. Chin does that and it does work well for them. As long as you play by the rules of the group you are in. Then it should not cause problems. With so few cars. You'll only see the guy once that passed you. Unless he is running 30 seconds faster than you per lap. Then you might get caught by the end of the session.

Sounds like fun either way.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:28 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

OK guys, this might be the most random request in a long time on here. If any of you Cincy guys see a WEBN frog head sticker before you head down to my neck of the woods could you pick it up for me?? Unless something has really changed in the last few years they should still be free, right?

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Full Course Sept. 28 & 29 by 10/10ths

Old 09-20-2009, 07:30 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Only a week away and still only 19 signed up. Green has 4 and 2 of those are Monday only, Yellow has 8 and red has only 7. Counting Instructors 29 total. Sign up now for what looks like plenty of open track and/or time. Track events are coming to an end for the year.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only a week away and still only 19 signed up. Green has 4 and 2 of those are Monday only, Yellow has 8 and red has only 7. Counting Instructors 29 total. Sign up now for what looks like plenty of open track and/or time. Track events are coming to an end for the year.
Wonder why attendance is so light ...... I plan on going but will be a last minute decision ... Been in CA for a couples weeks on business .... need to prep car and knock some fires out at work ...

Hope to get there
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Wonder why attendance is so light ......
I don't know why. I think 10/10ths is new to VIR, but I don't see why that would make attendance so low. Maybe, just not many people are aware of the event. I found out about it from a friend in our local Corvette Club that is attending and have been trying to get the word around about it the best I can. Hope you can make it. See you there.

Quick Reply: VIR Full Course Sept. 28 & 29 by 10/10ths