Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you running for spark plugs and wires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What are you running for spark plugs and wires?

I have a '98 with a stock motor and will probably stay that way. It's driven mostly at road courses and ax events. Looking to replace the plugs and wires. Any input and recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I personally think today's ignition systems are top-notch. I run all of my OEM wires across an ohm meter and throw out any bad ones, and I stick to recommended plugs. GM Racing suggested I run FR1LS plus (hotter than OEM) in my race engines, but those are only for the later heads.

With a coil-per-cylinder and a 6" plug wire, I really don't think it matters as long as you have something durable.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Good info once again David. What <b> do you consider to be bad that would warranty throwing the wire away?

I've seen brand new wires for the same vehicle from 5 different manufacturers range from 2 ohms to 1,548 ohms on a bench test.

Last edited by sperkins; 09-14-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

It's been so long......I have a box full of old wire, I just pick through the 8 that have the lowest resistance, "snap" onto the coil/plug securely, and appear to be crack free. Even back in the C4 days, I saw performance upgrades from plugs and wires, but those cars only had a single coil for all eight cylinders (lucky to get 20kv instead of the 50kv we get today), and wired 3' long.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info!

Get notified of new replies

To What are you running for spark plugs and wires?

Quick Reply: What are you running for spark plugs and wires?