Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in RacePak IQ3 Data logger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Interested in RacePak IQ3 Data logger?

I have come to the conclusion that in order to become more consistent in my driving, I need better tools for analysis than Video.
- Been looking around and Racepak seems to have an OK solution, but I'm no expert.

Trying to see if there is enough interested to get a group buy going.
- Intent is not to upset any Forum vendor, but to see if there are more people in my situation: - looking to get in to data logging and balking at the price
Rennlist just did one with fair pricing. I have no idea at this point where we could end up, but post up and lets see what we can get.
- Just for the record, I asked and two is not enough

http://www.racepak.com/Road_Racing/IQ3.php

They also have a ODB-2 hookup for C6s - I don't find the link.

To test it out, they have a demo mode for their software and a demo manual
- I'm a mac user and haven't played with it yet.

/Nik
Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimo
They also have a ODB-2 hookup for C6s - I don't find the link.
RacePak's website has a shortage of information - perhaps contact
Tim@racepak or post in the RacePak forum for further details.

In the meantime, here are:
Some prior threads in CF RR&AX about the IQ3:
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am planning on getting a data aq system over the winter. I have not done the research at this point to be educated. I will look into the one you have mentioned above.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM
haikun
Racer

Count me in ! Looks as a good option comparing cost / function and build out capabilities to cover future needs. Thye bility to easy integrate any video source is great, I have a video camera already and happy with that one.

/Hakan
Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
RacePak's website has a shortage of information - perhaps contact
Tim@racepak or post in the RacePak forum for further details.

In the meantime, here are:
Some prior threads in CF RR&AX about the IQ3:
Thanks
- I have been reading your posts on the topic - are you running the C6EFI and if so, how do you like it?

Nik
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 PM
haikun
Racer

It's a pitty they don't have an OBD-II interface for the C5 though, adding external sensors not only costs $, need to wire everything up as well. For basic functions like temps, rpm etc. it would be great.

Oil pressure sensors are probably needed anyway (referring to Dreamin's previous posts on this matter )

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...hard-data.html

/Hakan
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Hak,
Is this better than the one Bill redtopz has? This guy is a little more expensive, I have no idea what's going on w/ these things. Will it measure G's when I go digging (lol)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you like the software as much as you like the display unit, etc.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM
saibel
Racer

Nimo

I am very interested in this. Please PM me and keep me in the loop.

Steve
Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by haikun
It's a pitty they don't have an OBD-II interface for the C5 though, adding external sensors not only costs $, need to wire everything up as well. For basic functions like temps, rpm etc. it would be great.
It's my [potentially incorrect] understanding that pre-2006 ODB-II/CAN interfaces can't provide the data fast enough. 2006+ can provide the data at 10Hz...

FWIW, I went the AIM MXL Pista + GPS route and I've been quite pleased with both the unit and the software package.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been reading your posts on the topic - are you running the EFIC6 ...
No. I do not have a C6 with its data-rich ODBII environment for
the module to interface with.

My interest in the module is how it appears to give C6 owners a
means to tap into a datastream generated by the collection of
OEM sensors. There is no need to spend money to purchase and
install a number of aftermarket sensors as I did for my RacePak
G2X acquired in 2005.

Originally Posted by haikun
... need to wire everything up as well. ...
A feature of the RacePak family of data acquisition products is
that they use technology that simplifies connections between
the sensors and the data logger.

Components are daisy-chained together in series using RacePak's
cables - just plug the sensor into the end provided on a cable.
Connections are solder-free & terminal-free. No rats nest of wires,
either. Standard sensors are automatically recognized & configured.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I surfed the RacePak web site. So what comes with the $1395 IQ3 Logger Dash?

Do I have to spend an additional $499 to get the C6 OBDII module?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I surfed the RacePak web site. So what comes with the $1395 IQ3 Logger Dash?

Do I have to spend an additional $499 to get the C6 OBDII module?
Yes, but it is optional.
From their web:
The IQ3 data logger dash is designed to be a complete data center. Contained inside the fully programmable dash is a 32 channel data logger, 512 MB microSD memory card, GPS board and 3 axis G meter. The programmable shift lights are protected from sunlight by a molded shield above the lights, while the low glare LCD display is well recessed in the housing in order to provide viewing in all light conditions.

The rear of the dash contains the connectors for the external GPS antenna, Vnet sensor cable and the Power / Ground / Engine RPM / External Programming Button harness. All sensors transmit their data through a single cable (Vnet) which is routed to the rear of the dash. This eliminates the need for a sensor harness, greatly reducing installation time, complexity and overall weight.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 AM
haikun
Racer

Originally Posted by choivette
Hak,
Is this better than the one Bill redtopz has? This guy is a little more expensive, I have no idea what's going on w/ these things. Will it measure G's when I go digging (lol)
Not Sure how it compares, I'm sure it measures the same things and at the same time allows you to add sensors if you want. ( I will add oil pressure sensor for sure).

I also like what I have seen in regards to it's ability to add any video as overlay, the other systems seems to only support their Video systems.

/Hakan
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkmccready
It's my [potentially incorrect] understanding that pre-2006 ODB-II/CAN interfaces can't provide the data fast enough. 2006+ can provide the data at 10Hz...

FWIW, I went the AIM MXL Pista + GPS route and I've been quite pleased with both the unit and the software package.
I saw your graphs and its a nice setup, but seems more expensive.
I have not quite figured out what's required for that setup, but looking at Pegasus:
MC-240 MyChron MXL Pista High Performance Digital Dash - $1,999.00
MC-312 MyChron GPS Module for MXL Pista/Pro, EVO3 Pro - $599.00
- There is also a ODBII module for LS2/3/7, but I can't find a price for it?

/Nik

Last edited by Nimo; 09-18-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added link
Old 09-18-2009, 12:48 AM
haikun
Racer

Originally Posted by gkmccready

Not sure how the frequency relates to data reporting, (10Hz is still pretty slow for me) unless it means that they can provide all the data with 10 samples / second. If so I would be happy to get some base data with one sample / second

Pretty sure they all cover roughly the same functions, IQ3 seems to give the GPS at a lower price and roughly the same functions. I have not seen any of the software myself yet, will take a look at IQ3's demo setup.

Cheers, Hakan
Old 09-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Looking at the demo s/w, I found one function that takes me several hours to generate - segment comparisons.
I use my video to check frame numbers for specific points around the track and step through 5 x 20 min of video.
- Racepak does that with a button

Get notified of new replies

To Interested in RacePak IQ3 Data logger?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see myself using more than 12 Vnet inputs at a time. So I'm thinking the G2X and the EFIC6 are the way I want to go.

I'm pretty sure you can have more than 12 Vnet inputs going into the G2X, but it can only accept/use up to 12 at a time. Can someone confirm/deny that the G2X (12 Vnet inputs) and the EFIC6 module (16 Vnet outputs) are compatible? In other words, if you had more than 12 Vnet inputs going into the G2X could you select which Vnet inputs would be accepted, or which would be ignored.

I agree (with someone above) that an oil pressure sensor would be an essential input for our cars. So if I'm correct I could daisy chain an EFIC6 Vnet module and an oil pressure Vnet module going into a G2X to get all the sensor inputs that I wanted.

Does anyone know whether this would work?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

MC-240 MyChron MXL Pista High Performance Digital Dash - $1,999.00
MC-312 MyChron GPS Module for MXL Pista/Pro, EVO3 Pro - $599.00
- There is also a ODBII module for LS2/3/7, but I can't find a price for it?
The dash/data acq is $1999. But the GPS module, which you don't need if you're willing to set up a beacon, is $379 these days. And you don't need a separate module to connect to the OBD-II/CAN ... you just connect two pins to the high speed CAN serial bus. So $FREE!

G2X $1399 + ODB-II $499 = $1898. So, yes, the AIM is going to cost you a $100 more -without- the GPS... but the AIM is also fully functional without the GPS, the GPS is just a bonus set of inputs... especially with the CAN able to provide vehicle speed, etc, for the AIM.

I'm not sure how G2X integrates video, but the AIM SmartyCam ($1000) is supposed to be able to overlay any of the channels that the dash collects. The SmartyCam can also be used standalone -- or connected to your OBD-II/CAN port -- but at this time it doesn't let you do analysis without the dash.

I've never used a G2X, but the fact that it requires proprietary sensors was bugging me. I *want* the ability to connect some random thermocouple, pressure sensors or switches...

BTW, I ended up buying my AIM from Andrei@Prima-Racing.com, but I exchanged email with jeff@optimummotorsports.com and roger@victorylanedata.com quite a bit before making this decision. The big thing for me was that I was immediately comfortable in AIM's RaceAnalysis2 software where the RacePak and DL1 and TraqMate software weren't as intuitive for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you probably want to be able to trade data with friends. I've been working with Tony Colicchio (tony@tcdesignfab.com) on various things with the C6, and he's got my RX7 project, and he, his brother, and all their customers that they can influence run the AIM system.

After a day at Thunderhill I sent him my data, and he sent me a session of his, which allowed us to make some comparisons that will hopefully allow me to gain some time the next time I'm out. Seeing the comparison with somebody elses data on the same screen makes a big difference.

Sorry, I don't want to make this a sales pitch as I don't have a dog in the fight. I've seen others plenty happy with the G2X, and the AIM certainly isn't the be all and end all -- I haven't figured out if I can display the "best theoretical lap" yet, or really how to find understeer vs oversteer -- I'm just trying to add an alternative. And I've only had a single day out with the AIM so far so maybe it's just new and shiny to me. :-)

I think RAFTRACER has a DL1, and a bunch of folks have TraqMates, too, but I don't think those models have OBD-II/CAN sorted out yet...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
haikun
Racer

Originally Posted by choivette
Hak,
Sorry, forgot to mention that digging will be well recorded, G forces, speed & new "course" will be logged, should give some clues on why the car went "digging" Add some video and you should be able to make a theoretical explanation to your better half on why someone "pulled away" the track from your car

Cheers, Hakan

Quick Reply: Interested in RacePak IQ3 Data logger?