Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's runnin HC stock bottom and doing HPDE's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's runnin HC stock bottom and doing HPDE's

I have heads and cam on my z06 and was thinkin of going to VIR in the spring after I give up on drag racing as road racing looks like so much fun...hows your guys' motors/valvetrains holding up to all the constant RPMs and high oil temps. I would probably put a slightly different tune in it for an event...slightly lower limiter, less timing...also running a 390 diff...am I going to burn up these gears from the excessive heat or am I worrying too much?
my shortblock has 21k miles run TFS heads and a large cam with YT roller rockers. I'll be on NT05s on all fours...stock suspension z06 with stock brakes and stock alignment
whats an average weekend going to cost me? I can spend money road racing with tires and brakes...or spend money fixing diff and trans every other time i go to the drag strip shooting for tens
Thanks guys,
Kurt USAF
Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

forgot to mention...its a 02 C5Z
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you start you probably won't be that abusive on the car due to the learning curve. Stock bottom can last along time. Have you been to an event to watch yet?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
When you start you probably won't be that abusive on the car due to the learning curve. Stock bottom can last along time. Have you been to an event to watch yet?
Nope...I dont live too far from VIR...planning on trying out that track in the spring if theres an event
Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

I have tons of miles on my H/C LS1 and its just as strong as the day my brother put the H/C package on the car and started tracking it. Just keep regular with the maintenance, run a good oil, and if you start doing it more then once, look into some better cooling. Other then that, worry more about having fun and learning because IMO, the car is very durable.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

bring a parachute for brakes if you're running a H/C LS6 at VIR. Even a stock Z06 goes warp 5 there.

seriously you'll want more than stock brakes. crank in some neg camber (free), have fun on the NT05's

you can always short shift a little to keep the revs/temps down
Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
forgot to mention...its a 02 C5Z
A lot of the cost is in the 1)event fee 2)gas, especially when it was $4/gal 3) Lodging. Yes tires & brakes but these aren't bad when you are new running street tires & pads. I'd figure $400/day.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Watch the valve springs, don't let them get fatigued. Drop a valve and you'll shove it through a piston and buy a new motor.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I run a stock bottom end on a 224 cam. no worries

Brake pads are the big worry. Need much better pads and fresh DOT 4 brake fluid
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
Nope...I dont live too far from VIR...planning on trying out that track in the spring if theres an event

You should hitch a ride with some fellow forum members there and see for yourself. There are a few events in the next couple of weeks. Upgrade your brakes and fluid and you will be fine. There are a lot of events in the spring, hard to miss. Prepare yourself though, as much fun as an 11 sec run is, a 20 min session will have you hooked with these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's runnin HC stock bottom and doing HPDE's

Quick Reply: Who's runnin HC stock bottom and doing HPDE's