Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just signed up for my first Track Day...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Just signed up for my first Track Day...

I've done 5 auto-x events with my old '64 in the last year, but this will be the first time on the track - I think I'll use the '99 FRC for this.

I've got a torque tube to rebuild first, and will do the throwout bearing/slave while I'm in there (and the clutch master). The clutch was supposedly replaced by the PO a couple of years ago, but I'm getting a bit of chatter with my vibration and noise lately. The vibration/noise is most probably in the TT, as the vibration is much worse with the clutch out in neutral than with the clutch in - and the hideous noise kicked in at about 4000 rpm the other day...

Would a badly worn set of TT couplers and/or bearings cause clutch chatter?

I may also do the brakes beforehand. The PO also put Hawk pads on it, but I'm not sure which ones. I'll measure them to see how much is left and may go with some new rotors/HP+ pads/fluid.

The event is in late Oct, so I've got a bit of time - but most of the work will have to be done in a single weekend due to other things going on and not being able to leave the car apart at work.

Should be fun, but it'll be a race to get the car ready. Nothing like a deadline...

Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Not sure about the chatter thing but I would like to suggest that you put the aluminum flywheel and the clutch slave cylinder bleeding hose extension in there while you're there. I forget the supplier, but I wish I had done the extension bleeder to mine...........
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 AM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't sure about the aluminum flywheel - wouldn't that require balance matching the flywheels if the stock unit had weight pins installed to compensate for some engine imbalance? I'm not sure how common that is, and I haven't been into it that deep to find out yet. Do they make a big difference?

The bleeder extension sounds like a really good idea - thanks for the tip.

Get notified of new replies

To Just signed up for my first Track Day...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just signed up for my first Track Day...