Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100mph go-karts

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default 100mph go-karts

This invite was posted up over in the NE section

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...t-at-njmp.html
Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
well as some of you know i race karts. Woodbridge Kart Club will be hosting the WKA National Road Race Series Sept 25-27 on the Thunderbolt Course the classes range from 8yr olds and up and ranging from 60mph up to 140mph. http://www.njmp.com/tracks.html www.woodbridgekartclub.com

this is a twin engine kart like the one i have, at Daytona this past year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddT3dagOnE

heres a 250 superkart thatll be racing w/ us as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qCC...eature=related

heres my kart

http://www.expressionsfinephotograph...cingframe.html

Sat pit passes will be around $25 and thats good for both days and sunday pit pass will be about $10.

its a family oriented scene so bring the family or friends.

any questions about it just ask!

hope to see some of you out there!!

-brandon
Old 09-25-2009, 05:08 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That's pretty fast for a skate board.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:09 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a FJA kart for my grandson and they are fun and fast. It's amazing that 12hp will rocket the thing, even with my fat butt weighing it down. I can't wait to see it accelerate with his 65lbs. Ed
Old 09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Ive done over 100mph in a Rotax powered kart on Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. It was a normal sit up style kart with some really tall gearing on it to make up for the fact that the track wasn't proportional for a kart at all. We were on track at the same time as the lay down guys and they do come up on you quick. If your not careful, its easy to completely miss them since their profile is so small.

WKA is by far the most prestigious club level karting series before you get into the serious pro stuff. Its a big deal to win one of their championships.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Our local autox site just doesn't have enough runoff space for karts so I drove 280 miles for my grandson to do an event in a friends FJB kart. I see junior karts as a great way to get kids into motorsports that will translate to them being better driver later. If my little guy stays this he should be a safer driver on the street at 16 years old. Ed
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by worldsaway
Our local autox site just doesn't have enough runoff space for karts so I drove 280 miles for my grandson to do an event in a friends FJB kart. I see junior karts as a great way to get kids into motorsports that will translate to them being better driver later. If my little guy stays this he should be a safer driver on the street at 16 years old. Ed
Please consider the safety of the children above all else. Cars and Karts are NOT safely compatible IMHO!

Any kart program being run in conjunction with an autocross should have a separate course or start and finish midway through the car course. Keep the karts well away from the timing trailer and grid area.

Karts are not safe in general. They need to be caged, have HANS devices and 5 pt restraints. Even if that were the case the adult karts far exceed the speeds associated with autocross. They need to be confined to race tracks built for karts.

We had a very bad scare last week involving a child running into the back of a car wide open in a 3hp kart. She is okay but I will never be the same after seeing the incident. She had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance for scans and x-rays. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt more seriously.

I built a caged yard kart for my child when she was young and moved her into co-driving my Mustang when she got her learner's permit. Autocross is a great way for younglings to learn car control skills that will help them become better drivers on the street. It also teaches them not to participate in or condone street racing if you include that into the curriculum. The big plus is it's a great family fun thing to do together while you teach them how to be responsible.

No child or grandchild of mine will ever get in one of the open type karts with no restraints.

I think children should be started in simulators and then to caged karts that are to slow to do any real damage if you want to start them before they get into cars.

Last edited by Han Solo; 09-27-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Please consider the safety of the children above all else. Cars and Karts are NOT safely compatible IMHO!

Any kart program being run in conjunction with an autocross should have a separate course or start and finish midway through the car course. Keep the karts well away from the timing trailer and grid area.

Karts are not safe in general.
We run SCCA, and the kart safety steward (a friend of mine) is very **** (a necessity for dealing with kids and karts). We run junior karts seperate, and there are no cars moving anywhere in grid or on course. I agree, it can be a safety issue, but I think SCCA has a well-thought out program. Ed
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by worldsaway
We run SCCA, and the kart safety steward (a friend of mine) is very **** (a necessity for dealing with kids and karts). We run junior karts seperate, and there are no cars moving anywhere in grid or on course. I agree, it can be a safety issue, but I think SCCA has a well-thought out program. Ed
We run SCCA too. We have the same **** safety stewards and no vehicles running or moving rules. The car the little girl in our region ran into was sitting still on grid.

I'm saying the rules need to be extended to get the karts completely away from any fixed objects, not just have them fixed. Karts can run right up under a car or timing trailer.

Last edited by Han Solo; 09-28-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 100mph go-karts

Quick Reply: 100mph go-karts