Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track video for NJMP Lightening course

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Track video for NJMP Lightening course

Hi,

Does anyone know a vid of NJMP Lightening course that shows a good line? I've pulled up one U-tube but I think they may be screwing some things up. The line is a little different sometimes with a bigger car like a Corvette vs a smaller car like a Miata.

Thanks

Andy
Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Hi,

Does anyone know a vid of NJMP Lightening course that shows a good line? I've pulled up one U-tube but I think they may be screwing some things up. The line is a little different sometimes with a bigger car like a Corvette vs a smaller car like a Miata.

Thanks

Andy
Well.....I'm not a very experienced track guy, so I don't know how my line is, except that I had a very good instructor that had me doing what you see in the video. Sorry - I usually have a "dashboard" with speedometer and tach displayed, but I wasn't allowed to run my Traqmate due to no lap timing devices were allowed:

If you haven't run the track before, at least you can see the layout of the course. Anybody who sees me doing something wrong, please chime in so both sothpaw2 and I can learn something.

Here's a turn-by-turn on trackpedia.com - their stuff is usually very good, but YMMV:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Turn_...htning_Circuit

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-25-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to give you a link to my vids but then I saw you wanted a 'good' line

do a search on youtube for vicious z or devils z, they were FLYING around that track last time i was there.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm trying to help.

Lightning is a fairly simple track to get around on, but if you really want to go fast there you need an instructor with good experience on that particular track. A C6Z06 should turn lap times under 1:10 with R compound tires and a good driver. The video shows a 1:18 and a 1:20 lap.

I instruct for NJMP and would be glad to show you around if you can get an invitation to a Member Day.

The video in this thread has a number of "not-so-good" lines in T1, the 2-3-4 combination, T7 and the Light Bulb.

Hope to see you at the track.

Frank Gonzalez

Last edited by gonzalezfj; 09-25-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj

Lightning is a fairly simple track to get around on, but if you really want to go fast there you need an instructor with good experience on that particular track. A C6Z06 should turn lap times under 1:10 with R compound tires and a good driver. The video shows a 1:18 and a 1:20 lap.

I instruct for NJMP and would be glad to show you around if you can get an invitation to a Member Day.

The video in this thread has a number of "not-so-good" lines in T1, the 2-3-4 combination, T7 and the Light Bulb.

Frank Gonzalez
Hi Frank

Please critique away!!!

As I mentioned, I'm not very experienced track driver, but I sure do want to learn to get better. Here's a quote from a post I made after the NCM event in July:

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Anyway, I have no idea what kind of lap times a Vette should be able to do there. Being a rookie, my 1:17 or so is probably quite slow. I'm sure a good driver could knock 5 or 10 seconds off that easily.
Short-Throw responded that you and Steve L run sub 1:10 there.

I did time some of the race prepped track only cars in the red/black group, and the fastest I got were 1:12 to 1:15 laps. I guess I just didn't catch Steve L, and I saw your yellow car in the paddock but missed you on the track.

I do want to learn and get better, and one of the best tools I have is my data-logger. I can see the line on various laps, and when I take a different line I can see which one worked best, as well as a lot of other info that helps me to analyze how I was doing on the track.

However, I wasn't allowed to run my data acquisition unit at NJMP due to no lap timing was allowed. I was allowed to video, and of course as you mentioned, you can easily get lap times from video, but not all the other track data that I really want to analyze, as well as important stuff I log about the car (oil press and coolant temp).

At my level of driving experience I'm going for smoothness and consistency, and my car is a DD and I drive it to the track and hopefully drive it home. I probably only run 80% to 85% of my max capability - like I said, I'm going for smooth and consistent. In that regard, I have analyzed the video to see what I could do better next time at that track if I ever get back, and I see my car passing the s/f line in the video at 0:13, 1:29, 2:45, and 4:02, and I'm happy with consistent 1:16/1:16/1:17 lap times for my first day at this track.

I would love to get some of your expert instruction, but I doubt I'll be up there in NJ again unless the NCM runs another event there, and I've got no contacts to get a Member Day invite.

Come on down to Daytona!!! I'm running an HPDE Oct 9-10-11 and would love to have you coach me!!!

There are 2 other Daytona events this fall - I'll probably also run an event Oct 24-25, and I'm definitely already signed up for a Dec 4-5-6 HPDE. So come on down and teach me a few things about driving the C6Z on the track - the instructors I get from PCA or Audi really don't know anything about getting the most out of a Vette.

Bob
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
I was going to give you a link to my vids but then I saw you wanted a 'good' line

do a search on youtube for vicious z or devils z, they were FLYING around that track last time i was there.
Hey man...clean out your PM box.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj

Lightning is a fairly simple track to get around on, but if you really want to go fast there you need an instructor with good experience on that particular track.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank--I have never been to Lightening and only driven 2 courses thus far anywhere else (solo'd on one of those at least). I'm going up soon and would like to prep a little. I just figure prepping makes the most out of the day. I looked at Trackpedia but again it's better to look at a Corvette-specific line. Although, nothing looks tight, so it might not be critical for this circuit to look at a Corvette line vs Miata line.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Vicious-Z06
Intermediate

check it out.. This is on DOT Hoosiers (R6's)... I now have Dunlops and I run 1:08's.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...ing_681802.htm
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious-Z06
check it out.. This is on DOT Hoosiers (R6's)... I now have Dunlops and I run 1:08's.

Looks like you & your buddy had fun! Nice.
What mods (if any) did both Z06's have & hwat brakes/tires were you guys running on. What MPH were you reaching at the end of the straight & also before turn 6 after the bridge?? Just curious.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think you & the yellow Z were too low in the bowl & it cost you guys some speed exiting onto the straight...maybe Frank can comment...

Ron
Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The video is a little dark, but here is a solid 1:12. I won a time trial on the same day with that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jGQL7e3ctE
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Those are great videos in traffic from Vicious-Z06 and 95jersey.

Actually, those videos where they're following other traffic give a better idea of a good line (or bad line) than my video of running on a clear track.

Especially in 95jersey's video, when he's following some of those other cars you can really see the line NOT to drive!! Some of those Stang guys have poor turn-in points and are apexing in the middle of the track!

It's probably because they're spooked by a fast Vette on their butt!

Bob
Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Those are great videos in traffic from Vicious-Z06 and 95jersey.

Actually, those videos where they're following other traffic give a better idea of a good line (or bad line) than my video of running on a clear track.

Especially in 95jersey's video, when he's following some of those other cars you can really see the line NOT to drive!! Some of those Stang guys have poor turn-in points and are apexing in the middle of the track!

It's probably because they're spooked by a fast Vette on their butt!

Bob

Thanks guys--Just what I needed!! Tonight I'm going to study hard.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Vicious-Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
What mods (if any) did both Z06's have & hwat brakes/tires were you guys running on. What MPH were you reaching at the end of the straight & also before turn 6 after the bridge?? Just curious.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think you & the yellow Z were too low in the bowl & it cost you guys some speed exiting onto the straight...maybe Frank can comment...

Ron
We both have fully built engines with nearly 600rwhp. We both have upgraded radiators and he has Hawk DTC 70's.. I have Coil overs, T1 sways and Stoptechs.

We probably should be tracking out a little on the big bowl, then coming back down and straight out on the exit. That's a long turn and a bit tricky... I'm working on it.. Top speed on the front straight was about 155 and we are going under the bridge at 127-130 mph...
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron

Ron
A couple of suggestions for Vicious Z and his buddy in the Yellow Z06 when running Lightning:

1) You are running the classic line in turns 2 and 3. In other words you apex both turns. This is NOT the fastest way through there. In racing, it is desirable to go through turns with a single setting of the steering wheel, so you can bring the car to the edge of its cornering performance. In T2-T3, this is accomplished by finding a single steering input at the turn-in point of T2 that will carry you all the way to the cone placed track right at the apex of T3. At that point, the car is in the right spot, but it is not parallel to the right track edge. You need to lift a little to rotate the car parallel to the edge and be in the best position to turn into T4.

2) Your buddy in the yellow Z missed the apex of T5 several times. That is a NO-NO!!! You need to get all your turning done at T5 while traveling uphill. When you get to the apex at the top of the hill, unwind the steering wheel enough to track out all the way to the left of the track where the rumble strip is prior to T6. By doing this you can apply full throttle (or very close to it) as soon as you unwind the wheel.

3) If you do T5 right on Hoosiers, a C6Z should run out of RPM in 3rd before reaching the bridge and need a shift to 4th. Then brake and downshift 4-3 and 3-2 before entering T7.

4) You MUST reach the apex in T7. There is good camber at the apex of this turn that will help you get the car turned. Otherwise you need to slow down too much. More people drop wheels or spin in T7 that in any other turn at Lightning.

5) In a high HP car like a Z06, the Lightbulb should be entered about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up the track. Get the car to the limit of adhesion and hold it there. Then, about 1/2 way around the corner, look for the apex and lift slightly to rotate the car enough to get to the apex. You can start adding power at the apex or shortly before it to make the car push out to the edge of the rumble strip track left at the exit. Doing this is a must, since every MPH you can coax out of your car at the exit of the Lightbulb is carried all the way down the straight to T1.

A stock C6Z with Hoosiers and Penske shocks can do a 1:07 at Lightning.

Hope this helps.

Frank Gonzalez

Last edited by gonzalezfj; 09-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
The video is a little dark, but here is a solid 1:12. I won a time trial on the same day with that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jGQL7e3ctE
It is dark and hard to see entry pts (I'm not sure if they will be nice enough to use cones or if cones in the right place) but damn that looks greasy, wicked fast!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default Gears for C5Z

Anybody know if w/the C5Z this is a 3rd-4th gear track? ie for the crucial T1 and T7, does one downshift to 3rd or 2nd? I'd guess 3rd as usual.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Frank, I'm going to try those tips out next time I go to lightning.

Any info you want to share about the Thunderbolt course? I'm going there the 30th of Oct with PDA.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Anybody know if w/the C5Z this is a 3rd-4th gear track? ie for the crucial T1 and T7, does one downshift to 3rd or 2nd? I'd guess 3rd as usual.

Thanks,

Andy
In a C5Z its usually all 3rd and 4th. T1 is third for sure. T7 is borderline, but I think downshifting to 2nd at T7 may be counterproductive because it takes too long to shift down then back up.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious-Z06

Great video. I'd have fun driving out there with you and the car in front of you.

Get notified of new replies

To Track video for NJMP Lightening course

Quick Reply: Track video for NJMP Lightening course