Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock caliper slide pins - where to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Stock caliper slide pins - where to get?

I think I need to put in some new all around, 8 pins & rubber seals, mine have 30k miles & the rear rubber is melting. Where do you guys get these? Rock? Got a part number? Any other fasteners I should replace while I am in the brakes?

The bolt that holds the pin takes such a low torque value, it hardly seems it would stretch much, but what do I know, that's why I ask.

Found ac delco, raybestos,wagner, dorman

Which is best?

Last edited by froggy47; 09-28-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

The rubber is going to melt, no big deal. Same as piston boots. You can get replacement bolts at any parts store. But they're probably fine. Grease them whenever you get a chance.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jason
The rubber is going to melt, no big deal. Same as piston boots. You can get replacement bolts at any parts store. But they're probably fine. Grease them whenever you get a chance.

Yeah, I gave up on the piston boots, but the slide pin rubber seems to hold up better. I just don't want any crap in there that prevents the caliper from moving easily, I do lube them ever pad chg.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Just pull the remains of the bolt boots off so they aren't partially hanging on.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought new guide pins, rubber boots, and bolts from Rockauto. I believe they have both AC Delco and Raybestos. I think that Rockauto also sells the rubber boots separately. There is probably no difference in the boots between '88 to '04 and may even be a common GM boot across lots of cars.

The important thing is to use a good guide pin grease and if you buy bolts at a hardware store (you can get the proper size and strength at Lowe's or Home Depot) make sure to use some Loctite Blue threadlocker on the threads. IIRC, the torque value on the guide pin bolts is only around 25 ft-lbs so you want them to be held in place.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I bought new guide pins, rubber boots, and bolts from Rockauto. I believe they have both AC Delco and Raybestos. I think that Rockauto also sells the rubber boots separately. There is probably no difference in the boots between '88 to '04 and may even be a common GM boot across lots of cars.

The important thing is to use a good guide pin grease and if you buy bolts at a hardware store (you can get the proper size and strength at Lowe's or Home Depot) make sure to use some Loctite Blue threadlocker on the threads. IIRC, the torque value on the guide pin bolts is only around 25 ft-lbs so you want them to be held in place.

Did you take a close look at the old vs new pins for wear, or just put them in?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i know that you can get rubber boots as a part of "brake hardware kit" at NAPA, the kit also has guide brackets and bolts but no pins. each kit services 2 calipers.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i know that you can get rubber boots as a part of "brake hardware kit" at NAPA, the kit also has guide brackets and bolts but no pins. each kit services 2 calipers.
That sounds good, I would like to figure out if the pins are subject to wear or not? Mine "look ok" but could be worn of course.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by froggy47
Did you take a close look at the old vs new pins for wear, or just put them in?

Actually, I was doing a C5 brake upgrade so the pins, boots, and bolts were all new but purchased separately. The old 87 calipers were about 4 years old and when I bought those, they were a reman "Loaded" unit that came with new guide pins and everything fully assembled. I still have the old C4 calipers but never pulled the pins out. Those calipers had probably 8-10 track days on them and 4 years worth of autocross events. Never had an issue with the calipers.

This thread I started back in June lists the brake parts, part numbers, vendor, and prices for the upgrade. IIRC, the guide pin boots appeared to be the same for the C4 and C4 caliper. The bolts are the same and it's possible the guide pins are the same. You can use the Rockauto online catalog to search for brake parts for your car and then for a C5 to verify part numbers.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
That sounds good, I would like to figure out if the pins are subject to wear or not? Mine "look ok" but could be worn of course.

pull them out and clean them up, you should be able see see if they are bent or scored. mine looked good after years of track use so I never bothered to get new ones.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by longdaddy
pull them out and clean them up, you should be able see see if they are bent or scored. mine looked good after years of track use so I never bothered to get new ones.
They always look ok, but I can wiggle them in the caliper hole they fit into. I guess I'll buy a couple of new ones, so I can do a side by side compare.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock caliper slide pins - where to get?

Quick Reply: Stock caliper slide pins - where to get?