Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
I honestly can't detect any play at all in the splines; mine's a pretty dang tight fight actually.
Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ordered mine today from ATI and spoke to Mark. They have some in stock ready to go! They only make one size spacer now. Other sizes are availble and must be ordered. I got the CF cover plate and now just need to decide on wheel and size.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-06-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
ordered mine today from ATI and spoke to Mark. They have some in stock ready to go! They only make one size spacer now. Other sizes are availble and must be ordered. I got the CF cover plate and now just need to decide on wheel and size.
Would you happen to have Mark email address? did you just call him at the number above? how much was it??
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GettReal
Would you happen to have Mark email address? did you just call him at the number above? how much was it??
called number above and it was 350. The women answering the phone didn't know if they even sold Corvette parts so don't get discouraged. I dopn't have email address and the web site is down so you need to call Mark.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

called number above and it was 350. The women answering the phone didn't know if they even sold Corvette parts so don't get discouraged. I dopn't have email address and the web site is down so you need to call Mark.

A bit confused... $350 for the ATI kit > but $150 for the Grant kit from Summit Or did I miss something?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

A bit confused... $350 for the ATI kit > but $150 for the Grant kit from Summit Or did I miss something?
no idea what comes with the Grant kit. DRM said this ATI kit was good and he has used it, so I bought it.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
HeyFred
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are paying for the custom steering wheel extention and the CNC carbon cover.

I believe, they will make the extension any length you want.

Being a machinist, fabricator by day, This is a time saver for me.

The kit is worth the money if you don't have the time or equipment to do the machine work.

Last edited by HeyFred; 10-07-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HeyFred
You are paying for the custom steering wheel extention and the CNC carbon cover.

I believe, they will make the extension any length you want.

Being a machinist, fabricator by day, This is a time saver for me.

The kit is worth money if you don't have the time or equipment to do the machine work.
Got it, so theres that extra spacer piece. What would be the "std" length to get you back to where it was with the OEM wheel, any idea..3" ??

John, what size did you go with?

FatBillyBob... doesnt look like you have a spacer on yours, looks like you have the quick release attached right to the wheel... I think you do have an adapter plate but that looks like its 1/4"... Can you give more info on your set up? Thanks

Last edited by GettReal; 10-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Got it, so theres that extra spacer piece. What would be the "std" length to get you back to where it was with the OEM wheel, any idea..3" ??

John, what size did you go with?

FatBillyBob... doesnt look like you have a spacer on yours, looks like you have the quick release attached right to the wheel... I think you do have an adapter plate but that looks like its 1/4"... Can you give more info on your set up? Thanks
Mine is just those 2 stock numbers I posted in my picture. There is no extra spacer but I might want one. I have not used this QR before but have used others in race cars. My fingers are maybe too close to the blinker switch left/right. I'll know this race weekend. There is metal in those stalks because I tried heating and bending one and could not move it. So that means spacing the QR if I have to. It should be easy to buy another grant piece to get the length or make one cheap enough just round aluminum stock and three holes. I think for $150 bucks it is a great deal. ATI looks good but I'm just to cheap to buy one.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you have really long arms you will want the wheel much closer. I found that with my harness tight I preferred it even closer than the stock location. That is why I added a spacer on top of the ATI adapter.
Anyone can certainly piece thier own kit together. The carbon plate is pricey and doesn't really do anything. A simply piece of plastic or aluminum can be made to clean up the area. I chose to leave mine as-is without any plate. The single thing that ATI offers is the long adapter. It is a nice piece and done right so no long screws are used. My spacer requires long screws. As mentioned above, had I known I would have told them to custom make me a longer than standard one to avoid the additional spacer I added. You cannot machine a custom piece like ATI offers for less unless you're really experienced in machining and your time is not worth anything. I believe they offer the adapter separately for about $80 which is very reasonable.
Here is the adapter I use in my race car:
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP
It would require about a 3" spacer to bring it back to the stock location. Don't have my wheel in front of me so I cannot tell you the exact length.
In any case, the ATI kit minus the carbon plate is a good deal and done correctly.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Accuratetech
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Hey everyone. Just wanted to jump in and let you know that we are still around. We had some issues with our web site and haven't gotten around to setting up a new one. If anyone has any questions about our products please feel free to send me a pm or you can give us a call at 248.848.9200 ext. 160. Ask for Mike Akerley, I'm usually in the shop until 2:30 est.. If I can't get to the phone please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Got mine Friday (fast service) nice pieces and you can see it was not cheap to make this very important part. Thanks Mark! I won't have time to install it for a while due to work but will post when I do. Any tips from previous installers? Thanks.

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these two threads have info for removing the wheel.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ing-wheel.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ing-wheel.html

after reading those instructions and seeing that you'll need a couple speciality tools I'm going to have my shop do the install for me.

the only thing holding me up is that I haven't decided on a wheel yet. I've got it narrowed down to a few, but nothing is exactly what I'm looking for...

Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Use a quality puller. I first purchased one from a local auto parts store and it broke. Then replaced it with one I purchased from real tool store. Looked almost identical, but it didn't break.
Also, its a good idea to cut off the outer part of the ring in there that the steering wheel lock registers to. I cut mine on a lathe. No matter what the steering wheel lock tries to do now it will never be able to lock the wheel. Steering wheel locks scare me when on track. There is absolutely no reason to have them. If someone wants your car they will take it regardless of the lock.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread.
I've been following this with interest and shortly after it started I decided to get a Q/R steering wheel.
Here are a few random pics.

I like this wheel. It's a Sparco "Ring".

Not having the correct tool (and being cheap) I made up the steering wheel puller legs from long bolts and just ground 3 sides off. Worked for me. YMMV.

Name:  P1010697.jpg
Views: 3309
Size:  109.1 KB

Here is a bolt/puller leg in position. I would use hardened bolts if you have them.

Name:  P1010698.jpg
Views: 3318
Size:  143.6 KB

I cut the white plastic horn fitting but you might not have to.

Name:  P1010717.jpg
Views: 3332
Size:  132.0 KB

I went with the Grant Q/R hub and adaptor after seeing "fatbillybobs" post.
This came from Summit, fast shipping !

Name:  P1010691.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  87.9 KB

After I fitted the parts up to check positioning it became clear that I would need a spacer.
On the "auction site" I found this 2" job for $24.00.
Works for me.

Name:  mg20.jpg
Views: 3270
Size:  28.5 KB

Steering wheel on Q/R hub. You can see there's not much space between the steering wheel and the indicator stalk with just the adaptor.

Name:  P1010688.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  132.2 KB

Here's the 2" spacer installed. This gives you the room you need between the indicator stalk and the wheel.
Plus in my case it positions the wheel correctly for my seat position.

Name:  P1010728.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  93.0 KB

Completed install ....except to cut the upper and lower trim. Tight fit for my fingers to release the hub/wheel.

Good luck.
BC

Last edited by Tourmgr1; 10-23-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

thanks guys like an encyclopedia! I hit my turning stalk now sometimes as it is. Not sure if my telescopic wheel is in or out because I didn't know it would stop working when the seat was removed way back when.

Now a wheel search. Opinions on a D shaped wheel vs round or diameter of them?

does this work? http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...NG-CONTROL-KIT

I even see a wheel where the buttons are built into the wheel. http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...STEERING-WHEEL

Last edited by John Shiels; 10-11-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

What I will do this winter. Was it good any problems installing? I am looking for plug and play too.
That looks nice

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket steering wheels

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L98Terror
That looks nice
who won ?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

update: Last week I purchased a sparco Ring wheel, grant quick release hub, grant 2" spacer & their adapter for MOMO wheels. Thanks to all who contributed their input. The wheel is 330mm, not the original 300mm I was after, but I think it will work fine. All parts should arrive this week and my shop will be installing everything in time for an HPDE coming up on the 30th. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

can't wait to get out of my car easier with the race seat.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheels