Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Auto-X brake pads that are still good for street?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Best Auto-X brake pads that are still good for street?

OK, I have a C5 Coupe that I Auto-X about 30 times per year, but I also drive it about 8k miles per year. I want maximum grip without squealing like a stuck pig at every red light. I currenly have (and like) the PFC Z-Rated pads, but I don't know if that is my best option. Cost and rotor wear are not a factor - what should I use? Also, changing to a big brake kit is NOT an option.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many top national level drivers use the factory Z06 pads. You can find them from forum vendors for about $130 for the front pair. Rear could be stock or a more agressive pad to tune the brake bias.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO you have three options:

Hawk HP+
Stock Z06
PFC Z-rated

ranked by stopping power and dust top to bottom

Mix and match to your preferences.

Good luck.

Last edited by TedDBere; 10-01-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
IMHO you have three options:

Hawk HP+
Stock
PFC Z-rated

ranked by stopping power and dust top to bottom

Mix and match to your preferences.

Good luck.
I think you meant the Stock Z06 pads, right? Not to be confused with the stock C5 pads, which are considerably milder.

I've been running the PFC padts happily for several years, but they're getting harder to get, so I've got a set of HP+ pads waiting in the wings.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I think you meant the Stock Z06 pads, right?
Mike
You are correct, so I updated the original post.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have found the Hawk HP+ to work on the street (on my C4) but they do need some heat in them to get good bite. The first couple of stops in city traffic when they are cold (sitting overnight) will wake you right up to how important stopping distances are . And they will squeal some when cold.

HP+ pads will dust much more than the HPS pad or Z06 pads and if you get the HP+ dust wet and let it dry over a couple cycles, it will be a bear to get off.

Given the relative ease of pad swaps with the front C5 brakes, you may want to consider HPS for the rears and swap HP+ pads for autocross events and then go back to HPS for the fronts for street use. These two pads have similar compounds in them and re-bedding will not be necessary between use.

The OEM Z06 pad in the front is a suggestion too.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious why no R compounds Adam?

I run the stock z pads on mine and over the past year I have been working on "braking" at events, which for me meant harder and later
Relatively minor dusting (compared to full race pads) excellent bite, and have not had any fade yet. Also had no fade at Thunderhill, but I was on street tires and throwing it around at about 6/10.

G'luck, are you going to the AAS event this weekend?

Fej
Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I'm using Hawk HPS all around and are pretty happy with them.

I'm actually considering experimenting with different setups and such @ local TNT's and local events to see what works for me.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I ran HP+s as my "street pads" for a long time on my Z w/ the stock brake system. They will make noise, and a lot of dust, but they are a great AutoX pad (though, some don't like their extremely high initial bite for very low-speed AutoX since it can get the car into lockup before the weight actually transitions). For you I'd say stock Z06 pads. I have a set of brand new, never even installed rears (that came out of brand new calipers I put on my car) that should still be up at Nick's (Newtech). If he/I can find 'em they're yours mad cheap (I have no idea what that means, a few beers?).

-TJ
Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
I'm using Hawk HPS all around and are pretty happy with them.

I'm actually considering experimenting with different setups and such @ local TNT's and local events to see what works for me.
HPS's weren't enough for me. I have used both the Carbotech AX6's and Hawk HP+'s with good luck.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doje
Cost and rotor wear are not a factor...
Wow... wish I had that whole "cost is not a factor" thing!

If cost doesn't matter and you aren't happy with the stock Z06 pads, why not buy street pads, and different track pads? It takes all of about 10 minutes to change them before you head to the track.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by fej
Curious why no R compounds Adam?

I run the stock z pads on mine and over the past year I have been working on "braking" at events, which for me meant harder and later
Relatively minor dusting (compared to full race pads) excellent bite, and have not had any fade yet. Also had no fade at Thunderhill, but I was on street tires and throwing it around at about 6/10.

G'luck, are you going to the AAS event this weekend?

Fej
This pad should not be used on a race track with R Comps Auto X will be fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Yep, which is the reason I asked the question, what is the reason behind not being able to use them with R compound tires? Race track speeds?

Just looking for an explanation.

Thanks
Fej
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

BTW, I'm in CA for the next few days and brought those covers into the office for you.

-TJ
Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by fej
Yep, which is the reason I asked the question, what is the reason behind not being able to use them with R compound tires? Race track speeds?

Just looking for an explanation.

Thanks
Fej
Because R-compound tires have so much more grip they create a lot more heat.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:11 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Doje,
The Ferodo DS2500 is a great dual-use street/track pad. On some applications they have a little noise on the street cold (definitely less than HP+), but they have a much higher max operating temp and far more bite than street pads...which would be nice for autoX. They can also handle light track duty on street tires, and they aren't terribly expensive.

A ton of Evo and STI owners in particular are using these for street/autox/light track duty.

You can see pricing and specs here:

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake-pads/fcp1553h.html

Get notified of new replies

To Best Auto-X brake pads that are still good for street?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM
batchman
Advanced

Seems latest PFZ compound has changed - not the pads they used to be.

I've been using carbotechs the last couple rounds:

If you're oreintation is more street than race I had great luck with the Bobcats, low dust, low noise, drag the brakes in grid and they're fine in autox. Good street manners after the first use.

If you're more concerned with track day performance the ax6 is grippier cold, more bite, a lot more dust. Noticably noisier on the street.

Pad changes are easy but really you should swap rotors too so they have been bedded properly.

Cheers,
- Jeff
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

We have had great success with the PFC "Z-rated" pads.
We (MSI) keeps them in stock.

Some people have gotten the Carbon metalic pads by mistake and they just don't have the grip or heat operating range that the Z-rated pads do. The PFC Z-rated pads are alot easier on rotors than the Hawks, and they have much higher coefficient of friction that stock C5 Z pads.

It think we sell em for $145 front and $125 for the rear.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

PFC "Z" pads are great for dual purpose on/off. I also agree that they out perform stock Z06 pads by a long shot and are quite with less dust than my OE Z06 pads.

On subjectivity...Brake opinions are like farts...they all stink except your own!

But since your all laying them down I thought I'd float one too! Weeeeeeeeee!

Ms Eliz

Quick Reply: Best Auto-X brake pads that are still good for street?