Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:18 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Exhust question

I need a suggestion. By way of background. I bought a straight pipe setup homemade by a forum member. I am running this through the sock H pipe and blown our cats. This car is rarely driven on the road though I may do One Lap of Am next year where straight pipes will drive me nuts before I get to South Bend. It is loud!!

Currently with the straight pipe setup it is fun on the track but I would probably get a black flagged at a track with DB meter. I have ordered a long tube header system and will be getting a tune for the rear cats and to figure in some of my other minor engine mods. But as you know a good custom dyno tunes cost $400-600, so I would only want to do it once and not have to re-due it if I change the catbacks.
I am thinking the straight pipes are out, but maybe if I can find a used ZO6 ti catback it would may make sense.
So my question, would the zo6 catback behind my long tube headers without cats, be a good power producing setup? I can't imagine I would gain much more power with an after market catback system, plus the weight savings can't be ignored.
Any thoughts, and anyone have some ti catbacks laying around?

Thanks,
Jay B
Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get some turn downs. 30* from AutoZone
and point way from the sound meter.
Most DEs dont have sound testing. A few tracks Roebling Road may test at DEs if they think there is a car that is too loud
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Callaway CAI
Ported Throttlebody
MTI Racing/Stainless Works Headers, X-Pipe, gutted cats
Stock C5Z TI Mufflers
Dyno Tune
393 rwhp
378 rwtq

The sound under heavy acceleration is plenty aggressive but won't drive you nuts on the road. Try the C5 Parts For Sale section. I see the C5Z mufflers over there regularly.

Bob

Last edited by flycastinguy; 10-04-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: More info

Get notified of new replies

To Exhust question

Quick Reply: Exhust question