Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To install or not to install...That Is The Question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To install or not to install...That Is The Question!

Hello all!

I just picked up a set of lightly used DRM Bilstein Coilovers. I could not pass them up at the price I got them...

I currently run HPDE's only and have a totally stock suspension on my C5Z06. I'd like to improve the cars track abilities as my skills have increased fairly quickly. Running PFC pads in stock calipers if that matters...no problems there. Also just picked up track wheels and my first set of slicks.

Right now my suspension SEEMS to totally compress and I get LOTS of body roll on long right and even short right handers at BIR (T1, 2, 3, 8 and T13). Funny...I never noticed the body roll till I got some track time under the belt Now the body roll is becoming annoying

Side note: I need to get a camber kit too as I'm chewing up front tires in one day, would love some suggestions here...

I am debating on what to do with the DRM coilovers. What do you all think? Install the DRM coilovers or let them sit around until I do other mods first, like sway bars and bushings??

What say ye?

Ms Eliz
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First off putting the right amount of camber will make the biggest difference in lap times and feel of the car. Plus tires will not get burnt off so fast. For BIR we like to run more camber in the left front vs the right front.

The coilovers, I would put them on straight away. They will help a bit with the body roll, drive under braking, and getting on the gas earlier then with the stock shocks. They are very easy to install, just un-bolt the old shocks, and bolt the coilovers in.

Body roll isn't the worst thing in the world, but too much is not good at all.

Randy
Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be like having a Ice Cream Sunday on a hot day and just looking at it till it melts!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
That would be like having a Ice Cream Sunday on a hot day and just looking at it till it melts!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Hell, if you don't want to put them on, send them to me. I'll make sure they work fine, and you can have them back when you're ready.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'd sell them and get big swaybars and bushings.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
First off putting the right amount of camber will make the biggest difference in lap times and feel of the car. Plus tires will not get burnt off so fast. For BIR we like to run more camber in the left front vs the right front.
Yes the tires are getting VERY spendy! What do you think about .75 degree negative camber and what about toe? Still street driver though...?

The coilovers, I would put them on straight away. They will help a bit with the body roll, drive under braking, and getting on the gas earlier then with the stock shocks. They are very easy to install, just un-bolt the old shocks, and bolt the coilovers in.
That sounds good, I had not thought about the benefits of nose dive elimination, could of helped me stop the last spin entering T7! Removing the leafs difficult? Any suggestions on ride height? Still street too...

Body roll isn't the worst thing in the world, but too much is not good at all.
What would the next step be? Control arm bushings to keep the camber under load or sway bars?

YOUR THE BEST!
Ms Eliz

Last edited by Ms Eliz; 10-07-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Now that there is funny! I thought it might be a dumb question but that's why I throw it out to the internet gods!

Ms Eliz
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Hell, if you don't want to put them on, send them to me. I'll make sure they work fine, and you can have them back when you're ready.
Maybe I could ship you the car so you could test drive for me too!!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ms Eliz
Yes the tires are getting VERY spendy! What do you think about .75 degree negative camber and what about toe? Still street driver though...?

That sounds good, I had not thought about the benefits of nose dive elimination, could of helped me stop the last spin entering T7! Removing the leafs difficult? Any suggestions on ride height? Still street too...

What would the next step be? Control arm bushings to keep the camber under load or sway bars?

YOUR THE BEST!
Ms Eliz

Street-track cars are hard to setup because the camber kills street tires. I run close to 3 degrees in the left front, which wouldn't work for you. We normally put street-track cars in the 1.5-1.75 range on the left front and 1.25 or so on the right side. With a tick of toe-in up front and 1/4-1/8 toe in the back.

Leaf springs are a pain, but not too big of a pain. You have to remove the lower ball joint and slide the spring out. They are very easy compared to a bushing install.

Bushings are a great thing no matter what shocks, springs, or swaybars!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy
Old 10-07-2009, 02:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the DRM coilovers on my C6 Z51. I love them. I drive them to work and back and wherever whenever I can, and also track them. I'm running Toyo R888s every day.

I have -1.8deg front, -1.25deg rear and they're wearing nicely. Total toe front is about 1mm IN. Total toe rear is about 1.2mm IN. I do have poly bushings, so you may want more rear toe-in. My ride height is about 125mm to the front of the front jack puck hole, and 133mm to the rear of the rear hole.

Randy posted up a picture of how many threads to set the coilovers at -- that's where I have them set with 475#/575# springs on them and those're the ride height numbers I ended up with.

FWIW, I'm running them with the stock swaybars right now. I'm contemplating putting some bigger bars on to take a bit more roll out, but it's not something I feel I *must* do to have the car be great for street/track.

The difference you feel by putting on a good shock (like what comes with the DRM coilovers) will be the biggest change... don't think of the coilovers are just a spring change.

Get notified of new replies

To To install or not to install...That Is The Question!

Quick Reply: To install or not to install...That Is The Question!