Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 TPMS - how to work with lower tire pressures for autocross and track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
VETTERACER11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z06 TPMS - how to work with lower tire pressures for autocross and track?

On a 2009 Z06, what is the TPMS tire pressure range that will NOT cause the car to go into limp mode? For autocross and track days, I have always run Kumho V710's on my 2004 C5 Z06 with relatively low tire pressures; Cold pressures Front 24 and Rear 19. Will it cause problems running these pressures on a 2009 Z06? If this is too low for the TPMS factory programmed acceptable range, is it possible to Re-program the Acceptable pressure range so that the window is much larger? If so, how is that accomplished? If not, I guess I will be stuck with being forced to run higher pressures on the 2009 Z06. I don't think that will be very good because every time that I tried higher pressures on my 2004 C5 Z06, the car got less and less traction as the pressures increased. Maybe its just me, but that was my experience. Especially the rears, if they were sliding a bit too much, dropping a little pressure in the rears would get them to hook up real well. I just have a feeling that I am not going to be able to the run the lower tire pressures that I would like to on the new Z06.

Last edited by VETTERACER11; 10-06-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: fix spelling error.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VETTERACER11
On a 2009 Z06, what is the TPMS tire pressure range that will NOT cause the car to go into limp mode? For autocross and track days, I have always run Kumho V710's on my 2004 C5 Z06 with relatively low tire pressures; Cold pressures Front 24 and Rear 19. Will it cause problems running these pressures on a 2009 Z06? If this is too low for the TPMS factory programmed acceptable range, is it possible to Re-program the Acceptable pressure range so that the window is much larger? If so, how is that accomplished? If not, I guess I will be stuck with being forced to run higher pressures on the 2009 Z06. I don't think that will be very good because every time that I tried higher pressures on my 2004 C5 Z06, the car got less and less traction as the pressures increased. Maybe its just me, but that was my experience. Especially the rears, if they were sliding a bit too much, dropping a little pressure in the rears would get them to hook up real well. I just have a feeling that I am not going to be able to the run the lower tire pressures that I would like to on the new Z06.

Turn TC/AH all the off and run whatever pressures you want. If the service TPS comes on the DIC, it only prevents you from using Comp mode, which is garbage anyways.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '06 non-Z06 lost a TPS at the track and even running with everything off the car would slam on the brakes because it thought one of the tires had 0psi in it. I can only imagine it would do the same if it thought all the sensors were low -- rather than just plain missing...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Are that low of tire pressures normal for autocrossing? I'm taking my new 08 Z51 out for the first time this weekend. I've autocrossed for 7 years with various different cars and have usually just used the factory recommended pressures (in my 08 G37) or 40psi on more boaty-cars (05 GTO, 91 300ZX).

I had been planning on using the stock 30psi this weekend, will it be too tailhappy that way?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Stock tires should most likely run in the normally recommended range, if not plus a few PSI to keep the shoulders off of the pavement

If you are talking runflats, I would guess more pressure than you normally run, but I do not personally have any experience.

R rubber is a different ballgame, I run V710 305/30 and 315/35 18's on my Z with 27 front and 23-24 rear. Hoosier in a similar size is usually +5-7psi front and rear.

G'luck
Fej
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

agreed.. I run 32 F and 28 rear on my C5Z with hoosier A6s.

I don't know what the threshold is on the TPMS relative to OEM PSIs, but I would think that those aren't low enough for it to crap out on you.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the 'acceptable' range is 24-42psi. I can get into Comp mode at 22psi, no limp mode, but with the DIC warning on. i have not tried a lower pressure.

But a new law took effect in '08 with lots of TPMS rules... so your car might be more stringent

You could always do the "TPS' in a PVC pipe trick"
Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM
far4162
7th Gear

Originally Posted by VETTERACER11
On a 2009 Z06, what is the TPMS tire pressure range that will NOT cause the car to go into limp mode? For autocross and track days, I have always run Kumho V710's on my 2004 C5 Z06 with relatively low tire pressures; Cold pressures Front 24 and Rear 19. Will it cause problems running these pressures on a 2009 Z06? If this is too low for the TPMS factory programmed acceptable range, is it possible to Re-program the Acceptable pressure range so that the window is much larger? If so, how is that accomplished? If not, I guess I will be stuck with being forced to run higher pressures on the 2009 Z06. I don't think that will be very good because every time that I tried higher pressures on my 2004 C5 Z06, the car got less and less traction as the pressures increased. Maybe its just me, but that was my experience. Especially the rears, if they were sliding a bit too much, dropping a little pressure in the rears would get them to hook up real well. I just have a feeling that I am not going to be able to the run the lower tire pressurhes that I would like to on the new Z06.
Here is what I did. I drilled an extra valve stem hole in each front wheel 180 degrees from the existing valve stem and moved the rear sensors to the front wheels and with a reset tool reset the sensors in this order. Left top stem as the left front,right top stem as the right front,the right front bottom stem as the right rear and last the left front bottom stem as the left rear and it worked ! You now have all four sensors in the front tires and none in the back with no dic displays or powering down of the car when you drop the rear pressure as you would not be lowering the fronts any. Now if you get a low display for the left or right rear tires you will know your front tires are low you will just need to keep up with the rear pressures the old fashioned way with an air guage!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

For run flats, I found this discussion helpful.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-c7-autox.html

After two autocrosses in my C7, I am now running 28 psi rear, 30 psi front (cold), with pretty good results. Still experimenting.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 TPMS - how to work with lower tire pressures for autocross and track?

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 TPMS - how to work with lower tire pressures for autocross and track?