Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin-Barber Roll Call. Who's In?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chin-Barber Roll Call. Who's In?

October 17-18. I'll be there. Silver C5Z, #69. Right now, the weather is looking perfect ... sunny and 60's in the forecast, Ken.

Bob
Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Fred coming? I think he said Barber was his home track.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Fred coming? I think he said Barber was his home track.
Not this time. It's his home track but he has a friend's wedding this weekend in New Orleans.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Don't tell me Ken and I will be the only ones having all the fun.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Since its just you and me talking.

I was at my local mechanic's yesterday taking care of a couple things and talking about Road Atlanta when this other guy waiting jumps up and tells me how he races his bike there. Started talking about Barber and turns out he races there too, and he starts scaring the bugeebees out of me about all the blind turns at Barber. That Blind at Road Atlanta heading down under the bridge, took me the better part of 3 full days to get comfortable with. Actually, I've done 5 days there and after riding with some faster guys, its obvious I'm still holding back there.

So how do the blinds at Barber compare to RA? I've seen some videos of Scott and some others, but didn't really feel the blinds in them.

Ken . . .
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

I was at my local mechanic's yesterday taking care of a couple things and talking about Road Atlanta when this other guy waiting jumps up and tells me how he races his bike there. Started talking about Barber and turns out he races there too, and he starts scaring the bugeebees out of me about all the blind turns at Barber. That Blind at Road Atlanta heading down under the bridge, took me the better part of 3 full days to get comfortable with. Actually, I've done 5 days there and after riding with some faster guys, its obvious I'm still holding back there.

So how do the blinds at Barber compare to RA? I've seen some videos of Scott and some others, but didn't really feel the blinds in them.

Ken . . .
They're not too bad Ken. Really just the uphill climb to the right pointing at the clock tower and then the right then left down the corkscrew. Oh yeah, there's the right turn over the tunnel also. Do the first touring lap session with Chin and you'll get a feel of it...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Ken . . .
Barber is a different kind of track from Road Atlanta. Not nearly as fast, but I like it a lot. There are a few places where you have to have faith about what's on the "other side." Particularly coming out of T12 crossing the bridge. You actually track out to the left right at the crest of a blind hill. An early apex at T12 has made life interesting for a number of folks. Don't worry a bit though ... take your time with your instructor, learn the track on Saturday and you'll have a ball. It's a lot of fun and one of the most beautiful facilities you'll ever see.

Bob
Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah I agree. Not too bad as far as blind turns, but the tunnel turn is quite interesting. Be sure to get all of your shifting done before turn in and be ready for the car to unload when you crest the hill. It will get very light and the rear end will want to kick out (T4 also if you're haulin the mail). Also, get in the gas early through the kink (T10) entering the backstretch if possible to keep the rear planted. And late apex T15 if you plan on staying on the racing surface.

Some vette guys aren't crazy about Barber since speeds are relatively low, but I'm a G-force junky so I love it.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by sperkins

Some vette guys aren't crazy about Barber since speeds are relatively low, but I'm a G-force junky so I love it.

Barber throws just about everything at you and it all happens pretty quickly. There's really no place on that track to "take a break."
Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

I'll be there. Straight up from the PDE Porsches on the 2nd tier. Several C5/6 parked in a "U" shape. Frederick always parks with us so if you've seen him there before, thats where we are.

Take a ride with one of us before you hit the track. Its the hometrack for all of us, we all have lots of miles there. BMP is very technical, very different from RA, but to me there is nothing at BMP as gasping as the bridge at RA in my opinion. There is the blind someone mentioned at 4 as you crest the hill, be careful with that one, short shift before the crest so you don't unload over the top and as you lead up the hill aim for the clock tower and you'll be fine, DO NOT turn until you've already crested and the car is settled. The other blind is over the tunnel, just use your warm up and cool down laps to beat where the workers are into your head and don't ever miss them.

See y'all this weekend!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

As part of my planning when I venture beyond the AAA tow zone, I try to find an emergency shop should something go wrong that prevents the trip home. I knew Hinson was in Alabama, but good to know you guys will actually be there at the track.

I know, you guys with trailers are laughing at me. Get a trailer right! Until then, emergency plan in place.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'll get my speed fix a few weeks later at Roebling Road.

I see 4 downshifts every lap from watching your youtube stuff. Hopefully I'll get my shifting worked out and be very smooth by the end of this event.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kwhiteside; 10-13-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

I see 4 downshifts every lap from watching your youtube stuff. Hopefully I'll get my shifting worked out and be very smooth by the end of this event.
It's a 3rd and 4th track. Shifts are all easy at the end of straights. But like Robert said, you'll do well to short shift before reaching the crest of the hill coming out of T4. And aim for the the tower ... if you pinch it, things can get hairy. (Ask me how I know. ) But it still ain't T12 at RA. See you Friday evening.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Chin-Barber Roll Call. Who's In?

Quick Reply: Chin-Barber Roll Call. Who's In?