Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 / LS6 engine swap - Clutch, Flywheel, things to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
sffish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 / LS6 engine swap - Clutch, Flywheel, things to do

I've got a '98 Z51 C5 Coupe with a broken LS1 (106k miles). What we think happened is that the oil pump shaft broke and the engine saw 0 oil pressure and spun a rod bearing. The car is a weekend car and sees road course work and autocross. I've got an LS6 I will be swapping into it. I want maximum reliability and then anything modifications which will support track work. I have a few questions related to the engine swap:

1) What clutch/flywheel should I use? LS7 flywheel/clutch? Will this combo even work? LS6 flywheel/clutch? Spec3? I'm reluctant to do the Spec3 because I've read that some people have to get an adjustable master clutch cylinder to make the pedal engagement point work with that clutch.

2) I plan on replacing the throwout bearing and clutch slave cylinder and add a remote bleeder for the clutch while doing the swap. Is there anything else that should be done?

3) Should I worry about the torque tube and the rubber bushings on it? I think replacing the front bushing (nearest the engine) will be easy, what about the rear one in the transaxle?

4) Is there anything I should do the LS6 motor while it's out to maximize reliability? I am more than happy with the stock performance of the LS6.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

han
Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sffish
1) What clutch/flywheel should I use? LS7 flywheel/clutch? Will this combo even work? LS6 flywheel/clutch? Spec3? I'm reluctant to do the Spec3 because I've read that some people have to get an adjustable master clutch cylinder to make the pedal engagement point work with that clutch.
I'd run the LS6 before I'd run the heavier LS7 (others will disagree).

The spec is the only "normal" unit avail that has an available (optional) alum pressure plate. Combined with an alum flywheel, it's about ~20 lbs lighter than an LS6, and even more so than the LS7. To go any lighter you have to get into small dia/multi plate set-ups. Whichever clutch you use, check the balance on it at a machine/engine shop, even if it's touted as being "balanced".