Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tires: How old is too old?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Race Tires: How old is too old?

Let's say you had a set of Kumho V710s that had never been mounted -stored in a tire shop for say - 2 years. How much drop off in preformance would there be if they just sit - never having been heat cycled ? How many more years would they still be 'good" figuring 5-8 events per year once they are put into service?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
66IISS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Well, Ive heard 2 years from stamped date on the tire is about as long as you wanna go. Others on here prolly have more experience with this subject though. I do know a guy who had a R6 come apart on him at full speed coming down the front strait at TWS in a C4. It ruined the left rear quarter and took half the rear fascia with it.

I have some R6s that are about as old as that but I plan on using them for autox only just to get some last little bit of life out of them.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

I had an old Hoosier seperate (bubbled up) when pushing it hard. Felt the vibration, pitted in and "saved the day".
Old 10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

When I was buying new 710s from Tire Rack they were sending ones that were at least two years old. I would get about 12 track days and 15 or so autocrosses out of them before I started to think about replacing them.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Race Tires: How old is too old?

Quick Reply: Race Tires: How old is too old?