Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Oil testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Motor Oil testing

Any of you guys know of any motor oil testing being performed?

Right now I am using Valvoline 20x-50 VR1 Racing oil (high Zinc). Many of the local guys I respect run Joe Gibbs oil.

I have been reading about some of the other choices out there like
• Joe Gibbs oil
• Royal Purple
• Amsoil

This is the only one I could find:
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Any help would be appreciated. BTW: I run the car in Time trials on tracks like Lime Rock and Pocono. I miss Bridgehampton.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob the oil guy

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Just curious as to why you are running such a high viscosity oil. Are your bearing clearances such that you need the higher viscosity to maintain pressure?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Good data seems to be hard to come buy. When I talk to guys that run their cars, everyone has an opinion. Most oil choices are just based on the fact that they have used Xbrand and never had a failure. I just dropped in a new motor and the machinist recommended I break-in the motor with Valvoline VR1 racing oil and add EnginePro zinc additive for break-in.

Many years ago when I was working as a mechanics helper as I was going to school, a guy walked over when I was working on my car. He asked what oil I was using and commented on my air filter. When I asked what he based it on, he explained he worked for a heavy equipment company. The name escapes me, but they were big, like Caterpillar. Anyway, he explained they would build a group of engines where the rings had special material built in. They would run different oil and filters and send them into the field. After a time, they brought them all back, drained the oil and were able to determine ring wear. That was how they made recommendations.

Now I know we aren’t going to buy 12 identical cars and put Joe Gibbs in car one, Amsoil in car 2, Royal Purple in car 3……
But I thought somewhere this sort of data might exist.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipuig
Just curious as to why you are running such a high viscosity oil. Are your bearing clearances such that you need the higher viscosity to maintain pressure?
As I mentioned above, I just dropped in a new motor and the machinist recommended I break-in the motor with Valvoline VR1 racing oil and add EnginePro zinc additive for break-in. I went with his advise for break-in.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ipuig
Higher oil temps need the higher viscosity.

many ppl run 15-w50 or straight 40w for racing.

normal viscosity oil will beak down under consistent high heat.

Joe Gibbs makes some new engine break in oil. and some fine racing oils.

M1 also now makes some racing oils. a 0 wt qualifying oil and a 0-40 racing oil. But these oils are changed after each use.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-20-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use these guys a couple times per year. I have good results w/ Pennzoil Platinum.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Higher oil temps need the higher viscosity.

many ppl run 15-w50 or straight 40w for racing.

normal viscosity oil will beak down under consistent high heat.

Joe Gibbs makes some new engine break in oil. and some fine racing oils.

M1 also now makes some racing oils. a 0 wt qualifying oil and a 0-40 racing oil. But these oils are changed after each use.

For higher oil temperatures there are oil coolers. Increased viscosity equals increased resistance to flow; the cooling medium for the bearing surfaces is the oil. I'd rather have a cooled lower viscosity fluid with a high film strength than a high viscosity fluid operating at a higher temperature that flows less.

Viscosity has nothing to do with oil breakdown. A lower viscosity oil may have lower film strength than the higher viscosoity oil given the same base stock, but that is too general of a statement when comparing different base stock lubricants.

To the OP, I'm guessing since the builder recommended the 50W oil, he has clearanced the bearings taking the recommended viscosity into consideration.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Oil testing

Quick Reply: Motor Oil testing