Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Laguna Seca thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Default Another Laguna Seca thread

First, Bergmasters move showed very poor taste and judgement.......I think we've already established that.

Moving on, this was a big of Karma for GM, and I expect to see more of this in the future.

1. GM has been sandbagging this season, and could have easily made a clean pass at anytime and driven away from the other cars.

2. One of the Vettes pushed another car off at turn 2, no different than the crash at the end, other than the "concrete"

3. Even the "direct injection" loss didn't slow the Vettes down a bit, even though they whined about it forever.

4. GM's drivers seem to have a heck of a time keeping the cars on track (3 crashes at Laguna, one at Mosport), consider P&M says they are the "best handling cars they've ever built"

I love Corvettes, and Corvette racing, but I'd like GT2 to reach a point next season that I could watch the race and know that the drivers were running FLAT OUT and not waiting until the last 2 laps, or as happened at Mosport, wait until your teammate drives the car off of the track.

GM has proven to be very poor sports over the past several years (think LG/Riley, as well as the threats they made to us Corvette racer in World Challenge when they were campaigning the Caddi's). I hope they can move beyond this, put politics and posturing aside, and go race hard and fair from the Green to the Checker!

OK, flame away, tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, whatever, just had to put it out there.............
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
First, Bergmasters move showed very poor taste and judgement.......I think we've already established that.

Moving on, this was a big of Karma for GM, and I expect to see more of this in the future.

1. GM has been sandbagging this season, and could have easily made a clean pass at anytime and driven away from the other cars.

2. One of the Vettes pushed another car off at turn 2, no different than the crash at the end, other than the "concrete"

3. Even the "direct injection" loss didn't slow the Vettes down a bit, even though they whined about it forever.

4. GM's drivers seem to have a heck of a time keeping the cars on track (3 crashes at Laguna, one at Mosport), consider P&M says they are the "best handling cars they've ever built"

I love Corvettes, and Corvette racing, but I'd like GT2 to reach a point next season that I could watch the race and know that the drivers were running FLAT OUT and not waiting until the last 2 laps, or as happened at Mosport, wait until your teammate drives the car off of the track.

GM has proven to be very poor sports over the past several years (think LG/Riley, as well as the threats they made to us Corvette racer in World Challenge when they were campaigning the Caddi's). I hope they can move beyond this, put politics and posturing aside, and go race hard and fair from the Green to the Checker!

OK, flame away, tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, whatever, just had to put it out there.............

It's called racing, crap happens!!! They did not seem to have a problem keeping the cars on the track in GT1
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmit
It's called racing, crap happens!!! They did not seem to have a problem keeping the cars on the track in GT1
of course GT1 has been nothing more than a parade for the last 3 years. I'm hoping they get a dose of humility next year.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like GT2 to reach a point next season that I could watch the race and know that the drivers were running FLAT OUT and not waiting until the last 2 laps, or as happened at Mosport, wait until your teammate drives the car off of the track.
I respect your opinion and experience in W2W racing, but without more evidence/data I can't buy the "sandbagging" claim. At LS the #3 ran its fastest lap of 1:23.9 on L137, 18 laps from the finish. The #45's best lap was a 1.24.9 on L131
Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to admit, watching the race at the track at Laguna....I got a STRONG sense that they were cruising....ie sandbagging. They ran 1-2 for the longest time and looked like they could pull away at will.

Jan ran down Joerg EASILY towards the end of that race. Now Joerg supposedly had flat spotted tires, but who really knows.

I think Corvette is developing a reputation as bangers for sure. But the #4 incident in turn 2 was nothing more than a bonehead move. They were penalized later for contact which I have never seen though. The #3 car.....well, I agree his last lap, last turn incident was not a shining moment, but he got "paid back" in spades on that one.....
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing would help GM racing more than supporting the privateers and having one of them win. If you knew GM was going to help you then you'd probably see 5-10 more Corvettes on the track and it would be the car to have in GT2. Those weekend Porsche owners would be dumping their expensive waxers for a new Corvette.

It's all about attitude and it starts at the top. IMHO
Old 10-20-2009, 01:54 PM
CRAIG GELSTON
Intermediate

Dave I like the tone and direction of this thread much better. I stayed out of the other one, but I will say I loved watching that race more than most others, I am glad Corvette racing is in GT2, and I agree with
almost everything you said. They have some level of competition now
that they never had before, so they are actually racing. They
definitely are sandbagging, as GM always does (LG. bless his heart,
knows they were sandbagging at Petit when he and the GT40 were
ahead of them).
Anyway, I am fired up about watching now, as, like you, that is all I
can do!
see ya--Craig G.
P.S. If I were Jan I would have done what he did, and If I were Jorg
I would have done what he did.
Alms rewarded what behavior they want to see at Sebring in 07 and
Jorg is no dumb dog--he learned.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:36 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Nothing would help GM racing more than supporting the privateers and having one of them win. If you knew GM was going to help you then you'd probably see 5-10 more Corvettes on the track and it would be the car to have in GT2. Those weekend Porsche owners would be dumping their expensive waxers for a new Corvette.

It's all about attitude and it starts at the top. IMHO
This man speaks truth.

Now, how the hell do we get GM to listen?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
This man speaks truth.

Now, how the hell do we get GM to listen?
I don't think they want to listen, the BK shook them a bit. They cut funding to the team in half with a bunch of stipulations and the motors will be built by another concern. That's what they told us in the garage Saturaday morning.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimman
the bk shook them a bit.
bk????
Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

bk????
bankruptcy
Old 10-20-2009, 04:40 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

bk????
bankruptcy i think he means.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a question, what purpose would they have to Sandbag (not saying they did or did not). If they came in and crushed everyone, I guess they would have been subject to an immediate equalization (restrictor or weight). Is that the thought?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Lancer033
of course GT1 has been nothing more than a parade for the last 3 years. I'm hoping they get a dose of humility next year.
Nice to have you Vette support
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM
CRAIG GELSTON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Here is a question, what purpose would they have to Sandbag (not saying they did or did not). If they came in and crushed everyone, I guess they would have been subject to an immediate equalization (restrictor or weight). Is that the thought?
Correct. Corvette Racing was not in the championship this year, they
will be next year if nothing changes. GM values the manufactures'
championship more than drivers championships and even race wins.
They are not going to pull thier pants all the way down and be hobbled
next year when it counts. They did the job perfectly this year, came
out of the gate and let everyone know they are real, because the image they were getting doing parade laps and finishing "last and
second to last" (LG) in GT1 was not good.
--Craig G.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAIG GELSTON
Correct. Corvette Racing was not in the championship this year, they
will be next year if nothing changes. GM values the manufactures'
championship more than drivers championships and even race wins.
They are not going to pull thier pants all the way down and be hobbled
next year when it counts. They did the job perfectly this year, came
out of the gate and let everyone know they are real, because the image they were getting doing parade laps and finishing "last and
second to last" (LG) in GT1 was not good.
--Craig G.
Isn't there an engine change required next year

Get notified of new replies

To Another Laguna Seca thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Varmit
Nice to have you Vette support
huh?

I haven't supported Corvette racing all year and last year wasn't worth watching them. I used to be a big fan.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimman
Isn't there an engine change required next year
Next year they will be running a 5.5L engine per the new FIA 2010 regs. However the ACO previously announced that for 2010 and 2011 it will allow cars to run its series under the new FIA or the current ACO regs, and will impose comp adjustments as necessary. In 2012 all cars will be run under the new FIA regs.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

yup, they look like an immature team, which on the one hand is not surprising considering they are new to GT2 and close racing, but OTOH they have lots of experience and should be past that.

i will withold any judgement until mid-2010.

Quick Reply: Another Laguna Seca thread