Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the ultimate Sports car Bar None!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default the ultimate Sports car Bar None!

Last Updated: October 21. 2009 2:32PM
Tokyo Motor Show
Toyota unveils 'premium' Lexus sportscar
Associated Press
Chiba, Japan -- Toyota unveiled a two-seat super sportscar for its Lexus luxury brand called LFA, which reaches up to 325 kilometers (200 miles) per hour but also costs $375,000.

The curvaceous, low-sitting white sportscar with a 4.8 liter gasoline engine was shown Wednesday at the media preview for the Tokyo Motor Show, which opens to the public later this week.

Toyota Motor Corp. President Akio Toyoda told reporters the model is a limited-production offering, and only 500 of them will be produced and sold worldwide from December 2010 through December 2012.

Advertisement

Toyoda said Toyota was strengthening its hybrid vehicle lineup and also developing electric vehicles. But he said he also wanted to cater to various "tastes" by offering sportscars with regular gasoline engines that are fun to drive.

The LFA, which will sell for 37.5 million yen in Japan, is being billed as "the ultimate" in sportscars.

"This is what the car should look like," Toyoda said.

200 mph for 375 any other idea as to what could do that?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

As much as a Toyotaphile as I am, and a previous owner of 2 last gen Supras, and one who has watched every development of this car since its concept, I'll pass. The car is beautiful to my eye, but for $375K, it better do about 230 MPH and 0-60 in less than 3 seconds.

With the specs provided, I'll continue to focus my energy on getting a ZR1. The Z should be paid off in about 18 months and I'll be in the market. The Lexus LF-A was originally in the $100-150K range "way back when". For that, I'd consider it. For the asking price, I'd get a ZR1 and keep the rest in the bank.

Who am I kidding? I can't afford a $375K car, but I can afford a <= $150K car.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks alittle....busy. Scoop at the B pilar is ugly and the undertray is a mish mash. I like the scoop in the lower door exiting under the tail lights. Overall remindes me of the Nissan Z or Infinity G35-7. Too derivative to warrent 375k. /:\
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
200 mph for 375 any other idea as to what could do that?
I'd buy a Ferrari 458 for $240K and use the $135K savings to cover the Ferrari's operating costs
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
I'd buy a Ferrari 458 for $240K and use the $135K savings to cover the Ferrari's operating costs
that's funny
Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

the picture was out years ago and as stated above the price was way way lower. Wonder how they will feel in a road test when a car less than half the price kills it?

375 I'll would keep saving for a Bugatti at a million plus!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like a 911 crossed with an F430 with a dash of soy sauce thrown in.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Toyota chief Akio Toyoda did his best to liven up proceedings, but even the unveiling of a production version of the $375,000 Lexus LFA supercar couldn’t help this year’s Tokyo Motor Show capture the excitement of recent years. Toyoda helped develop the Lexus LFA and when he unveiled it at the show’s opening day on October 21, he said he hoped visitors to the biennial event “can leave feeling that automobiles are exciting and will want to come again.”

On Day One, though, there were visibly fewer attendees than in 2007 when the Nissan GT-R, another very fast car, was the star. Indeed, while Toyota also unveiled the exciting FT-86, an affordable sports car due for release in 2011, and other automakers showed off a host intriguing hybrids and electric vehicles, the absence all major international carmakers-and even two Japanese truck makers, Hino and Isuzu-confirmed long-held fears that Tokyo’s motor show is no longer the most important in Asia. After all, automakers from over twenty countries braved the recession to attend the Shanghai auto show in April. In Tokyo, only three foreign automakers-Group Lotus and Caterham Cars from Britain and Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen from Germany-could be bothered to show up.

But what of the LFA, which will go on sale in 2010? A long time in the making, it certainly has some dazzling performance stats, including a top speed of 202mph and 0-60mph in 3.7 seconds. Clearly, this is no ordinary Lexus. For all that, I’m slightly baffled by the price (I repeat: $375,000) and the decision to limit sales to 500. In his speech on the floor of the show, Toyoda talked about the need for automobile to serve as dreams and aspirations. Well, the high price and limited availabilty certainly sees to that. Of course, the LFA, alongside the great looking FT-86 sports car concept, will give Lexus and Toyota’s brands a much-need sporty boost. The difference of course is that the FT-86, which goes on sale in 2011 is likely to cost closer to $20,000 and should sell in thousands. Indeed, given that Toyota will lose money again this year, it would also be interest to know more about the economics of the LFA. The price tag is high, but then so is the cost of developing super-fast sports cars. And by limiting sales to 500, one wonders how much Toyota will lose on every sale.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
the picture was out years ago and as stated above the price was way way lower. Wonder how they will feel in a road test when a car less than half the price kills it?

375 I'll would keep saving for a Bugatti at a million plus!
We got one of those in Jonesboro Arkansas! I never knew this place existed until it hit the newspaper last week.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...boro-20091012/
http://www.eliteautosllc.com/
I thought about going up to do a test drive..... yeah right
I would like to see it though.
So Arkansas has the car, now we just need a track.

Last edited by johninar; 10-21-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, if I hit the lottery for 350 million I would buy you a fleet of them because I want to see a Toyota in your driveway.Look up and watch the video of it on the track. When is GM going to make something CLOSE to this? ZR1? they changed the motor, suspension, brakes, roof panel and added some carbon fiber to the Z06 for over 100,000. Some poor dopes have paid over 50,000 MSRP. Great thought process in design! Same crap they did in 1990 to the C4. added a motor by Lotus and wider quarters and rear wheels. When the C4ZR1 broke during testing the GM team left the track and went to sleep. When they came back in the morning they found that the Lotus crew had worked on the car through the night and fixed it. That tells me something about the people that had their hands in the project. The ZR1 is a fast car no doubt, but the workmanship is poor for the money. People say you can't buy a car like the ZR1 for that price but you have to look past HP and into design and workmanship. If I only want HP I could buy a C6 and have our vendors make it crazy fast that would smoke the ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To the ultimate Sports car Bar None!

Quick Reply: the ultimate Sports car Bar None!