Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mountable Curbing - What's your strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Mountable Curbing - What's your strategy?

Hey guys, what's your strategy on driving on and using mountable curbing in your driving technique?

I know that there is no simple answer, but there are probably some general guidelines. My observations:

First, the concrete curbing stays wet longer, so you have to be careful not to lose traction early in the day.

Second, if the angle of the curbing on the outside of a turn is good, it can help to get the car set up for the straight that follows.

Third, sometimes there is a dirt (or muddy) or uneven area before and after the curbing, and it can unsettle the car.

Fourth, when "tracking out" from a turn, I only use the curbing on the outside if I need the room to carry my momentum forward.

So chime in, I would like to hear some other opinions and suggestions.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Almost always use inside curbing, unless it is especially steep/high. Like turn 3 at Rd Atlanta, the weight is shifted to the outside that the inside tire (and 2/3 of the car) skims across the curb as smoothly as if it wasn't there.

Outside curbs are a bit more complicated. They are often rough, and can hurt rear grip just when you need it the most. However, there are spots (like 7 at Rd Atlanta, turn 3 at VIR) where the curbing "catches" the rear end, allowing you to prevent throttle oversteer almost completely.
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (04-29-2022)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

My stategy is to stay off them even if that costs me a tenth. I have noticed that my wheels take a beating over the season to the point of becoming out of round as measured with a dial gage. I used to think my balance weights came off or the tire was spinning on the wheel or rubber worms where collection inside the wheel to throw off balance. Once I could prove none of these things were happening I was surprised what 020" off can do to felt wheel balance. My only conclusion is that hitting curbing dings your wheels running low profile tires. While a wheel should be able to take this at sub 60mph speeds once you get into the 80's and 100's the force on the wheels goes up dramatically. So for those of you having vibration issues check for out of round wheels and stay off the curbing.
NSFW (04-29-2022)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM
MAG STAR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to stay just off all curbing .... But very close .... Im a believer in making the track as short as possible .... SLOW In FAST out . I normally go into a corner NO more then 3/4 track and USE all the track on the EXIT

Mark
Old 04-28-2022, 05:37 PM
lion shf
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 233 Posts

…..
Old 04-28-2022, 08:50 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I'll usually take the curbing short cut at speed and at track out

Many times though I find better traction all 4 on the asphalt in longer tight radius corners
Old 04-29-2022, 09:26 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

As much as I can any time. Like David said, unless it's really abrupt.

1A and 1B at NCM is a great opportunity to really straighten out the corner.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:39 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Use the whole track. Some paved run off tracks like COTA or above post, it’s hard to determine what is cutting the track. Normally I count the line between asphalt and curb to be the track limits and 2 of my tires need to be inside there at all times. This means straddling the curbing often. I’d call the above first picture out of track but if competing it all depends on the race director. There are many many cota lap times where people cut nearly straight through the Esses and then post their “fast laps”. It’s a bit cheeky cause it can take almost 2 seconds off your lap time.

Club tracks with grass all around, hit the curbing as needed. I aim for the edge of pavement and push extra knowing the curbing will give me 1 ft of extra push room. That’s on high speed corners. <50 mph corners I try to hit the inside curbing to aide in rotation. 100% dependent on track.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:43 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
My stategy is to stay off them even if that costs me a tenth. I have noticed that my wheels take a beating over the season to the point of becoming out of round as measured with a dial gage. I used to think my balance weights came off or the tire was spinning on the wheel or rubber worms where collection inside the wheel to throw off balance. Once I could prove none of these things were happening I was surprised what 020" off can do to felt wheel balance. My only conclusion is that hitting curbing dings your wheels running low profile tires. While a wheel should be able to take this at sub 60mph speeds once you get into the 80's and 100's the force on the wheels goes up dramatically. So for those of you having vibration issues check for out of round wheels and stay off the curbing.
you might need better wheels if curbing is hurting your wheels. Turtles don’t hurt my wheels…
Old 04-29-2022, 10:59 AM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

My new set up keeps the front very close to the ground, uses a soft front spring, down stops and max amount of front rebound to keep the front jacked down.
It gives great grip and driver confidence but it's not what you want for riding over curbs.

Yes with my old C5 I could take a lot of curb not so today with the tube chassis car and new set up.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:56 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

all the track all the time. obviously there are exceptions as pointed out above.

Kubs (05-06-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 AM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
all the track all the time. obviously there are exceptions as pointed out above.
I hate that smell, like a steel mill with molten metal when a tire falls off the track into a rut.
Got to avoid hooking a rim on a curb when you ride the gators.
I try to use all the track width on entry and track out but rarely touch the apex gators.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:06 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I find the inside curbs here in CO tend to help rotate the car. The curbs at Sonoma were a trip. They were rumbly, but the car didn't seem to mind. Made a real neat sound when you hit them. Very satisfying to get them both. There's a little section at Pike's Peak Int'l Raceway where you just let the curb snake under the car, really helps straighten out that section. There's nothing raised on the other side of the curb, but all curbs are the devil when they're wet.
NVR2L8 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 11:51 AM
mfain
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 395 Posts

I have been pretty aggressive with the speed curbs in the past. With this car I am using a soft spring set-up and the motor is very low in the chassis. As a safety precaution, I added a bar to the undercarriage of the chassis to protect the dry sump pan and pump in case I straddle a curb. I have 2.75 inches of ground clearance with the splitter on the ground at full compression.

Pappy

Kubs (05-06-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Mountable Curbing - What's your strategy?

Quick Reply: Mountable Curbing - What's your strategy?