Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt inverted C6Z shocks- opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Pfadt inverted C6Z shocks- opinions?

Hello all,

I have been running C6Z shocks along with other Z susp parts on my base C6 for a couple of years now. Car handles very well for mods/cost but recently got the bug to try something new. Few questions for those that street/track their cars.

- Whats the benefit of an inverted shock? Ad speaks to lower unspring mass but not sure I understand this.

- Ad also points out these shocks are shorter thereby providing a more aggressive stance. My car is as low as it will go on stock bolts with bushings cut. Does anyone have pics of a already lowered car that received these shocks in addition too? My front and rear tires are right at each fender, @ 1 finger gap in back at best.

Please chime in on any experiences related to these shocks. I am also considering the optional upper mounts to make the whole thing a complete package.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

First, I think Pfadt makes good stuff. I've been happy with the parts I've used, but I haven't used the ones you are looking at.

An inverted shock put the shock "body" on the "sprung" side of the suspension, so it moves with the body, not with the lower control arm. In general, anything you can do to lighten unspring mass (suspension, brakes, wheels etc) is good.

A shocks total travel is determined by the length of the body and shaft. If you want a lower ride, you need a shorter body. If you want more travel, you need a longer body. Basically, they shortened the body so that they work well with a car that is lowered, like yours. The shocks will NOT cause your car to ride lower, they will just allow it to work without bottoming out the shocks (like yours might be doing now).

For the record, if you've cut your adjusters, you've likely lowered too much for ideal handling.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
First, I think Pfadt makes good stuff. I've been happy with the parts I've used, but I haven't used the ones you are looking at.

An inverted shock put the shock "body" on the "sprung" side of the suspension, so it moves with the body, not with the lower control arm. In general, anything you can do to lighten unspring mass (suspension, brakes, wheels etc) is good.

A shocks total travel is determined by the length of the body and shaft. If you want a lower ride, you need a shorter body. If you want more travel, you need a longer body. Basically, they shortened the body so that they work well with a car that is lowered, like yours. The shocks will NOT cause your car to ride lower, they will just allow it to work without bottoming out the shocks (like yours might be doing now).

For the record, if you've cut your adjusters, you've likely lowered too much for ideal handling.

Crystal clear explanation on the unsprung question David, thanks!

Currently I don't think I bottom out my shocks often if ever oddly enough. I have another lowered vehicle on stock shocks and its very noticeable when it bottoms out. I may be good here.

Anyone else out there that can give me first hand experience? Especially those that might have been in my situation with C6Z shocks and moved to these?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Crystal clear explanation on the unsprung question David, thanks!

Currently I don't think I bottom out my shocks often if ever oddly enough. I have another lowered vehicle on stock shocks and its very noticeable when it bottoms out. I may be good here.

Anyone else out there that can give me first hand experience? Especially those that might have been in my situation with C6Z shocks and moved to these?

Thanks.
if your A-arms are not parallel or level with the ground you are to low it is not just about bottoming out it is also about suspension geometry.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I've run the entire 2009 autocross season with their shocks and I'm very happy with them. Ease of adjustability is one of the things I like the most.

Oh yeah, I think the price is pretty good too.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:04 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
if your A-arms are not parallel or level with the ground you are to low it is not just about bottoming out it is also about suspension geometry.
What exactly happens to the geometry that causes you to say that below parallel is too low?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:14 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For not much more money you van get coilovers. Pfadt just cut the by $100.00.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have Pfadt shocks. I've been racing autocross on them for some time now. My car does handle better with them. You have to play with the adjusters at every event and see what works for that day. Sometimes #5 other times #12 clicks. I've owned 04,06 GM, Double, and Triple adjustable Penske's. The Pfadts for me definitely get the job done. The bad news. They are not shorter then C6Z06 shocks. They are actually longer when fully compressed. About 1/4" I have stiffer VB&P springs, run no bump stops and they do not bottom out. You might have a problem being that low and softer springs.

Steve

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 10-26-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use PFADT adj.shocks on a C6Z track car,gives you the option on dialing in the suspension to fit the track conditions.Easy to adjust and the $ is right for what you get.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
You might have a problem being that low and softer springs.
I have a C6Z front spring with stiffer than Z51 rear spring. Didnt do rear Z spring since it has a much wider tire.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamingZ06
What exactly happens to the geometry that causes you to say that below parallel is too low?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Can you use their inverted shocks with coilovers?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
Can you use their inverted shocks with coilovers?
Nope... to do so would be more work than it's worth.

I currently have the inverted Pfadt shocks, but will likely be switching to some coil overs soon and will have an set of shocks if anybody wants them.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt inverted C6Z shocks- opinions?

Quick Reply: Pfadt inverted C6Z shocks- opinions?