Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft saves the day at Daytona Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor
Default Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft saves the day at Daytona Speedway

We were at Daytona International Speedway this weekend for a meet-and -greet with some of the Florida Corvette racers. The event was a great time at a historic track.

One of the C5 Corvette racers we met had a problem in Friday's 2 hour Enduro and came off the track. It turns out that the rubber guibo failed on Bob's drive shaft for the second time this season. The rubber guibo is a common weak point in the Corvette driveshaft because it shreds and fails the entire system. Our Pfadt Carbon Drive Shaft is the only product on the market that solves this problem.

Bob was very frustrated to say the least. Not only was he potentially done for the weekend, but he was unsure of how to prevent the failure in the future.

The photo below shows the factory rubber guibo on the left and the Pfadt replacement on the right.

It was 5:00 East coast time and his team had disassembled the car to the point of confirming that it was the guibo. More disturbing, however, was the extent of additional damage it caused. When the guibo came apart it literally cut the torque tube in half!!!

This is what's left of the guibo...

Luckily it was friday and we immediately got on the phone to call in for back up. Since Salt Lake is 2 hours behind, we had an opportunity to get parts shipped overnight. Our first call was to Colton at Corvette Recycling. They really came through and found us a replacement torque tube which they quickly packed and shipped out for Saturday delivery.

Next we called back to our staff and had them ship out our Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft.

Our Pfadt Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft is the only drive shaft on the market that solves the fundamental problem with the factory piece. We eliminate the weak guibo and instead use a stainless steel flex disk. In addition, our drive shaft is more than 3 pounds lighter than stock which reduces the rotating mass of the drive train. This added efficiency makes the car more responsive and reliable.

After a very busy morning of his crew swapping in the new parts, he was back on track and ran both the Saturday and Sunday races. He took 1.5 seconds off his best time.

Here is his C5 headed back on track.

We were glad to be able to help and make his race weekend a success. As always, our engineered parts solve problems and keep your Corvette performing at its best.

-Aaron
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Great job Aaron!!!!! I enjoyed meeting you and Robin and the other folks that were at Daytona this weekend. It was a really nice event, wish I could have had the car there. JD
Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron and Robin at MTI Racing in Marietta, GA a few months back. They're first class folks with a first class operation ... the essence of what I enjoy most about this hobby.

Bob
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

great job getting him up and running, i wouldnt want to know the overnight cost of shipping the torque tube and shaft though
Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
great job getting him up and running, i wouldnt want to know the overnight cost of shipping the torque tube and shaft though
I did torque tube from GM and headers from LGM once overnight I think 350-400 from GM and headers were 180
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
The driveshaft was not crazy to ship, but the torque tube came all the way from Washington state and it cost a few $$$. Thanks to Corvette Recycling, the tube itself cost less than the shipping. Still pretty inexpensive when considering the cost of lost track time at an event at Daytona.

Talking to the organizers, Daytona Speedway gets north of $35000 a day for track rental. You need a lot of cars to cover that and it's still a spendy event.

-Aaron
Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Good job Aaron! Way to be there for fellow Corvette drivers!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
GAS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to steal the thread BUTthis is just business as usual for PFADT'S. If you EVER need ANYTHING for your car you should deal with the PFADT crew. THEY ALWAYS DELIVER!!! They have overnighted me sway bars, let me take parts of a vette they weren't using at the moment, etc. etc. They do business the way EVERYONE SHOULD.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by GAS
Not to steal the thread BUTthis is just business as usual for PFADT'S. If you EVER need ANYTHING for your car you should deal with the PFADT crew. THEY ALWAYS DELIVER!!! They have overnighted me sway bars, let me take parts of a vette they weren't using at the moment, etc. etc. They do business the way EVERYONE SHOULD.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft saves the day at Daytona Speedway

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft saves the day at Daytona Speedway