Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Fuel System Warning After Fueling with 'Gerry' Can?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Service Fuel System Warning After Fueling with 'Gerry' Can?

A couple weeks ago I fueled the car from a plastic Gerry can but this can (I seldom use) had a 'pressure valve'...you have to press the edge of the valve on the rim of the fuel filler neck in order for fuel to flow. Right after doing this my gas gauge read zero and I got both a Low Fuel and a Service Fuel System warning. I figured I bumped a sensor, bent the flap or damaged something inside the fuel filler neck. I pressed the reset button; I was able to get into comp mode OK; I finished my sessions; and, by the next morning everything seemed to be back to normal...my gas gauge was working and no further warnings.

Yesterday and today at the track I was again using a 5 gallon can but this time with my usual Jiggly Siphon. I was inserting perhaps a 5/8" soft tube into the fuel filler neck. I was careful not to insert the plastic tube too far in. After adding the fuel my gas gauge again read zero and I got a Low Fuel and a Service Fuel System warning. I hit the reset button; I got into comp mode; and I finished running time trials without an issue. Adding fuel from either a hard plastic spout on the Gerry can or using a softer Jiggly Siphon hose can't be much different than using a hard metal nozzle at the gas station.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening (or what I may have damaged to cause this to happen)?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Howdy Wayne!

Just a guess, but it may just be a coincidence and your fuel gauge sensor in the tank is getting corroded and/or getting a dulphur build up causing errors on your gauge. The C5's are famous for this and I have had to add Chevron Techron to fix mine. But like I said ...just a guess! Not sure if Gm fixed this with the C6's Good luck

PS Great Day at the track, excellent conditions!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Howdy Wayne!

Just a guess, but it may just be a coincidence and your fuel gauge sensor in the tank is getting corroded and/or getting a dulphur build up causing errors on your gauge. The C5's are famous for this and I have had to add Chevron Techron to fix mine. But like I said ...just a guess! Not sure if Gm fixed this with the C6's Good luck

PS Great Day at the track, excellent conditions!
Hey Rod,

I hadn't heard of that problem before but I guess its a possibility. I'm going to off load the car from the trailer in a couple minutes so I'll see if my gas gauge is working again. Lots of guys use gerry cans and Jiggly Siphons and I haven't heard of anyone having this problem before.

It was a great couple days at the track...the weather is finally cooling down. It was beautiful both Friday and Saturday! My oldest son (21) has come up with me many times before so I enrolled him in the driver orientation program on Friday. He's only driven my car once before on the street but he did fine on the track (even with Dad telling him what to do).

I enjoyed seeing you and thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Fuel System Warning After Fueling with 'Gerry' Can?

Quick Reply: Service Fuel System Warning After Fueling with 'Gerry' Can?