Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette On UHaul Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Corvette On UHaul Trailer

I am trying to get my busted up Corvette from Birmingham to Atlanta, and the cheapest way I can think of is to use a UHaul trailer. There are some warnings about clearance issues with wheels and ride height for some cars. Anyone ever done this or know of a better way? It is very inexpensive.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Or a place to get the Vette fixed in Birmingham
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

If it's lowered at all, the exhaust will hit
Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Wish I lived in Atlanta!! I would be happy to let you use my trailer to get your car!! You may want to check with who ever is going to fix the car, they may have access to a trailer. A lot of body shops do>> have trailers. Also I would check with the corvette shops around Atlanta and see if they would rent you a trailer. Good Luck!!!!! JD
Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 PM
usmc42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried putting my 09 z06 on a uhaul trailer and the rear tires (stock size) were about 2 inches too wide on both sides. Everything else fit and ride height was not a problem. If you have a smaller track car in the rear I think it would work fine.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it; but, you need to use the WIDE version as shown here:
http://www.uhaul.com/towing/special_loading.aspx

You will need boards to help with clearance. Even then its better to load from a sloped driveway. It will scrap at the top of the ramps if level.

You will also need boards under the front tires to clear the front.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

i had my T-1 car on a flatbed uhaul trailer before. It's a tite fit with the 315x4 tires on all 4 and long wheel base. you can't roll it all the way forward if the front is low, and you can't use the tie downs they give you. Get your own tie downs..
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Not lowered...245/275 front and rear. I am getting the feeling it will be easier to just get fixed in Birmingham and drive it home when it is done.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

i've done it....once.... pain in the (|)
for all the reasons stated above....
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I used a UH to move the Vette from TX to MD behind a giant UH truck. My C5Z is lowered a lot on coilovers and it went up fine and had about 1/4 inch at each tire.... I had to crawl out the trunk though.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

When I moved I used a penske trailer. They say it doesn't fit, but it does... If you remove the air dam. Also, get your own tie downs, the rental ones are ***.

Just tell them its a different car when you make the reservation.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
Not lowered...245/275 front and rear.
It'll work. Just don't tell Uhaul it's a vette. Tell them mustang or something of similar weight.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Budget rental uses a different trailer. It's a full deck with a full draw bridge ramp and you crank up the entire deck. Mine loaded fine and there was plenty of room for more tire track. Not much room to clear the door though.
But, double check the safety chains. Mine broke off since they were under rated cables.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
haikun
Racer

Might be a late answer but I have used a U-Haul trailer once (C5). Had to back it up since the front would not clear so I could not tie it down correctly, (I had to climb out the window to get out since the door won't open, glad I had the Window Valet so I could close the windows afterward)

I did have clearance issue (running a bit lower then stock) so you would need some pieces of wood or something to help out (I jacked up the trailer at the front to get a better angle and no issues after that).

Good luck !

/Hakan
Old 11-03-2009, 02:42 PM
SteveS66
Instructor

I agree with linutux's recommendations. I rented a uhaul trailer many times for hpde's before I bought my own trailer and they worked fine. Make sure you get the newer silver trailer since the older orange ones are too narrow for your wheels. Put about a 4 foot length of 2x6 under the ramps when loading the car to extend the ramps and decrease the angle. This will help to keep you from dragging both the front air dam and the underside of the car. Also park the front tires on a small piece of wood to lift the air dam up and over the front of the trailer. An old 1" thick piece of shelving worked for me.

Steve
Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies. One last question. What makes a car "undriveable"? There was no suspension or frame damage - only cosmetic. Who decides if the car is driveable or not? The cop called for a tow, but it was at night and my headlight was broken. Both the tow company and body shop recommended I just drive it back here. I am thinking I might try to drive it back and use the UHaul as a backup.

Last edited by The Panther; 11-03-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. One last question. What makes a car "undriveable"? There was no suspension or frame damage - only cosmetic. Who decides if the car is driveable or not? The cop called for a tow, but it was at night and my headlight was broken. Both the tow company and body shop recommended I just drive it back here. I am thinking I might try to drive it back and use the UHaul as a backup.

Try driving it in a parking lot, brakes, lights, cooling, etc. Use common sense.

Cops, fire dept always tell u to tow, it's a liability thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette On UHaul Trailer

Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 PM
blkz
Pro

Have you thought about having a forum vendor around Atlanta repair it ? I am assuming you are around that neck of the woods .
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I am getting the feeling it will be easier to just get fixed in Birmingham and drive it home when it is done.
I wouldn't do that. If you have any problems with the shop, you may have to drive to Alabama to inspect it - who knows how many times.

My trailer will be free after this weekend if you need it.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

I talked myself out of having it repaired in Birmingham for the above reason. I am going to attempt to drive it home tomorrow. I still need to find a body shop in Atlanta if anyone has a recommendation. Thanks for offering your trailer sperkins. Hopefully I won't need one.

Quick Reply: Corvette On UHaul Trailer