Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Compare** MPSCs and R6s

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **Compare** MPSCs and R6s

In my group there are 3 Zs. I use MPSCs, the others use R6s. All use stock size. We are the fastest cars from a pack of 20 which includes Porches, GTRs etc.

The drivers, age, experience etc are all different and the lap times are radically different. By comparison, the quickest is 1:14.9, the mid is 1:17.5 and the slowest (me) 1.21. The quick car has 560rwhp, the other two have 500rwhp

What about the tires? Has anyone 1st hand experience of a change from MSPC to R6 or vice-versa?

If so? Did you data log the respective lateral-g capabilitys?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldmale
In my group there are 3 Zs. I use MPSCs, the others use R6s. All use stock size. We are the fastest cars from a pack of 20 which includes Porches, GTRs etc.

The drivers, age, experience etc are all different and the lap times are radically different. By comparison, the quickest is 1:14.9, the mid is 1:17.5 and the slowest (me) 1.21. The quick car has 560rwhp, the other two have 500rwhp

What about the tires? Has anyone 1st hand experience of a change from MSPC to R6 or vice-versa?

If so? Did you data log the respective lateral-g capabilitys?

Thanks
no data logger stats but:

both are good. r6's will come in earlier and go out quicker with a lot of heat/ the cups take longer to come in but take more heat and they do well in rain

our TT club members have run both with very close track times

most prefer the r6's...just easier to get and a bit cheaper

in decent track conditions r6's will kick ***. bad track conditions cups ill win

i have both i run the cups on the street and on the track if I do not have time to switch tires

personally I like Kumho V710.
such an easy tire to run, tons of feedback but 1/2 to 1 second or so slower than r6's
Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And A6 will kick a$$ over the R6......
Old 11-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I don't have data logger data but I ran MPSC last year on my car for most of the season. At the NJMP event I was running about middle of my run group on the MPSC but for one session I switched to the loaner R6 set that fjgonzales has been letting folks try out.

Bottom line is that even though the R6 were slightly smaller (275 vs 295 fronts) I went from being middle of my run group to clearly the fastest car in that group. There was a significant difference in how much speed I could carry through the corners and the only thing different was the tires. For me it was a huge confidence boost.

Both sets of tires had several sessions on them so I don't believe it was a case of one being more worn out than the other. I'll be moving to Hoosiers this year and am just trying to figure out whether to get the R6 or the R100.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
And A6 will kick a$$ over the R6......
in the first ten laps then the R6 will pass you
Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rustyguns
in the first ten laps then the R6 will pass you
That's a myth.

I can't say personally, but ask the guys on here who win T1 events regularly - I believe most of them run A6s.

And if they work for Frank Gonzalez they will work for anyone (sorry for the shamless use of your name Frank, but you have confirmed again and again how good the A6's are)!

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 11-08-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

That's a myth.

I can't say personally, but ask the guys on here who win T1 events regularly - I believe most of them run A6s.

And if they work for Frank Gonzalez they will work for anyone (sorry for the shamless use of your name Frank, but you have confirmed again and again how good the A6's are)!
your right .. But track conditions in Arizona are very very hot. most the track records here are held by guys using the Michelin X radials. The things are amazing!

but i would gladly use R6's and go against anyone in A6's when its 110 degrees in the shade for 50 laps, Can you say Greasy!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Coldmale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys

I was hoping someone would add some factual results - like for example, at Turn 3 on circuit "x" I pulled 1.15g on R6 abd 1.25g on MSPC.

That type of thing. I can do that based on my records of other tyres, but I have not had the opportinity to do so with MSPC back to back with R6

Anyone??
Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

There have been several prior threads about Hoosiers, some of them comparing to the MPSCs. If you search and limit the search to "Hoosier" in the Autocross and Roadracing section you should find several - think I saw one recently when searching that showed a 1.5s improvement per lap with Hoosiers over MPSCs, but I can't find it right now.

Here is one link, with both sides of the A6 vs R6 covered;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-a6-or-r6.html

More A6 stuff;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-question.html

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 11-09-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

There have been several prior threads about Hoosiers, some of them comparing to the MPSCs. If you search and limit the search to "Hoosier" in the Autocross and Roadracing section you should find several - think I saw one recently when searching that showed a 1.5s improvement per lap with Hoosiers over MPSCs, but I can't find it right now.

Here is one link, with both sides of the A6 vs R6 covered;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-a6-or-r6.html

More A6 stuff;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-question.html
1.5s sounds reasonable for a 1.5-2 mile or so track... Gingerman going from stock z06 run flats to R6's was worth 3+ seconds, by most accounts the MPCS are somewhere between the two. Granted, the more twisty the track the more difference you'd see and vise versa. -Dan

Get notified of new replies

To **Compare** MPSCs and R6s

Quick Reply: **Compare** MPSCs and R6s