Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Nuts for Racing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lug Nuts for Racing Wheels

Can anyone suggest what lug nuts to use and/or a link to where to buy them? I just purchased some CCW C14 (18"X11" and 18"X13") wheels for my C6 Z06 and have been using the OEM lug nuts on them. Some longer lug nuts would work better. I know lots of you guys run these wheels, what lug nuts do you use? Any info and pictures would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Can anyone suggest what lug nuts to use and/or a link to where to buy them? I just purchased some CCW C14 (18"X11" and 18"X13") wheels for my C6 Z06 and have been using the OEM lug nuts on them. Some longer lug nuts would work better. I know lots of you guys run these wheels, what lug nuts do you use? Any info and pictures would be appreciated.
McGard or Gorilla
Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Lug nuts for racing

I've been looking at these but have not been able to justify the expense. Stock nuts work just fine on all of my wheels but it would be nice to have longer nuts to make it easier to reach with the socket.

http://www.inlinefour.com/blrablchlugn.html

This site has lots of aluminum nuts too but I'm a little too old school to trust them!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Went to NAPA with a extra stud. Said needed some open hardened open ended lug nuts.

Came back with 4 boxes of 10 each for $50 or a $1.25 each
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

It's timely that this post came up as I was prepping the car sat night for a sunday autox and could not torque down one nut.

At first I thought that the stud was failing, but it ends up the lug nut (after many years of use on 2 Vettes) was stripping out.

I pulled a new one out of a box & it torqued fine, stock stud was fine. 04 c5z 30k miles & many wheel changes (almost weekly).

So while I do think the stock nuts are fine, they do wear out after many uses.

I got some Gorilla's with an extended/threaded shank that goes into the rim which I use with spacers. They were about .1 mm (not 1 mm, .1mm) too big for stock rim holes but I greased them with anti sieze and they went on ok, wore off some of the chrome & a little of the wheel hole.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I am using lug nuts from one of my sponsors. They are longer than standard, they are made from aluminun and they are very light.

I have run a whole season on them and they work great. They are so light that, believe it or not, they actually started to roll away in the heavy winds we sometimes get at Auto Club Speedway. The car was on stands in the double doored garage and they started to blow away in the wind.

But they are strong enough that I actually broke a standard long GM wheel stud in August. I suppose that really probably is more of an indictment on the long GM wheels studs and that is why I replaced them all with ARPs.

Anyway....
http://949racing.com/forgedalloylugsblack12x15.aspx

Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Olitho
I am using lug nuts from one of my sponsors. They are longer than standard, they are made from aluminun and they are very light.

I have run a whole season on them and they work great. They are so light that, believe it or not, they actually started to roll away in the heavy winds we sometimes get at Auto Club Speedway. The car was on stands in the double doored garage and they started to blow away in the wind.

But they are strong enough that I actually broke a standard long GM wheel stud in August. I suppose that really probably is more of an indictment on the long GM wheels studs and that is why I replaced them all with ARPs.

Anyway....

That looks like what I'm looking for. How long are they? I couldn't find a dimension on the web site.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
That looks like what I'm looking for. How long are they? I couldn't find a dimension on the web site.
I will guesstimate just over 1.5", but don't hold me to that....

Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I will guesstimate just over 1.5", but don't hold me to that....

Thanks for info.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Anyway....

Hey those are very cool & "only 4 required per wheel" according to the link. That's a 20% lug nut weight saving right there!

That price is actually about what my (stupid) chevy dealer parts desk gets for the stock ones.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Quicksilver Z06
Advanced

I got these for my CCW C10's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20PC-...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Lug Nuts

Olitho
Thanks for plugging your sponsor about the alloy lug nuts!
That's a better price than the place I've been looking at and hearing that you don't have any problem with the alloy ones is good assurance too.

Locke
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I too am glad to hear no problems with alloy lug nuts. I have heard some people say don't use aluminum lug nuts, too dangerous. I would like to try the alloy lug nuts. Still weighing pros and cons. Lets hear some cons, the only pros that come to mind are bling and weight although minuscule. Lets hear more. Anyone have any problems with alloy lug nuts? Most of us think of alloy as mostly aluminum and I think that is what we are talking about here but alloy can be two different metals mixed and not necessarily aluminum. We are talking aluminum here, correct?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I would be weary of using alloy lug nuts, but if someone can prove otherwise it might be a good investment.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kubs
I would be weary of using alloy lug nuts, but if someone can prove otherwise it might be a good investment.
I too, am a bit weary. I am still listening and willing to be persuaded either way. So far no one has reported a bad experience with them though. Maybe that's just because not many have tried them or if they have and had a problem they just not reading this thread or reporting a problem.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've run Ray's Engineering duraluminum lug nuts for years on my other car that I used to track in Hawaii. I have a set on my Corvette now with CCW C10s. No issues here. Honestly though they're pricey and only saved a pound and a half over the stock lug nuts.

San
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Went to NAPA with a extra stud. Said needed some open hardened open ended lug nuts.

Came back with 4 boxes of 10 each for $50 or a $1.25 each
i went to NAPA and they said they dont have them.

Do you have a NAPA part number?

Also do you have an account there so they give you a break on $ or is that the price for us regular folk?

Get notified of new replies

To Lug Nuts for Racing Wheels

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

You can probably find them cheaper someplace else, but you can get them from Pegasus.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...roupID=LUGNUTS
Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Larry Bittner
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Lug

While longer nuts may be better, I have been using the standard nuts for several years for many track events without a problem.

Did you buy your C14's new? How much?

I am looking for a second set for track use that don't have to be perfect. If anyone has a set let me know.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry Bittner
While longer nuts may be better, I have been using the standard nuts for several years for many track events without a problem.

Did you buy your C14's new? How much?

I am looking for a second set for track use that don't have to be perfect. If anyone has a set let me know.
I used the standard OEM lugs on my new C14 wheels at an event at VIR about a week ago. The only problem with the OEM lugs is I can't use a thick wall socket on them but other than that all okay. A longer than stock OEM lug nut would just work better on these new wheels but the OEM lugs work.

Yes, I bought them new from CCW. I got them in a package deal, C14 wheels, Hoosier R6 tires, TPMS installed, mounted and balanced ready to bolt on and go, shipping. I did pay a premium however. $4,731.00 Oh yeah, a hand held tool to program the TPMS also.

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts for Racing Wheels