Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time to the Track...Car prep?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Default First Time to the Track...Car prep?

Hello All,

I live about 1.5 hours from VIR and they are having a charity event this coming Friday.

This is 6/10ths racing with a lead pace car, a follow car, and no passing, by no means all out.

I am thinking of taking my bone stock C5Z.

Any suggestions for track prep?

-I have read around 30 psi in the fronts and 28 psi in the rears (Cold)

-I also plan to check the oil and make sure it is a little over full? I have read this helps in cornering. How much to add, 1/2 qt?

-THose of you that tape the nose and behind the wheels what type of paint friendly tape do you use? I have seen that they are usually blue. Need something safe for the paint.

-Full Tank of gas?

-Should I watch oil and coolant temps? What should I watch for?

Any info appreciated

-NIck
Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

You don't need to do anything, they won't let you go a speeds that could hurt anything. Just don't ride the car in front of you and even paint damage is extremely unlikely. That comes from following closely behind cars with race tires(they pick up everything and sling it)
Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
You don't need to do anything, they won't let you go a speeds that could hurt anything. Just don't ride the car in front of you and even paint damage is extremely unlikely. That comes from following closely behind cars with race tires(they pick up everything and sling it)
Enjoy!!!! Get Hooked and then come join the fun!!! JD
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 AM
niphilli2
Drifting

Thanks guys, Looking forward to it!

What should I look for as far as water and oil temps?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
RonnieM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will be fine with the car just like it sits. Oil and water temps should be no problem.

The only thing you have to worry about, (since you live fairly close to the track) is how soon you will be able to go back with no pace car in front. I wonder how I know this?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonnieM
I think you will be fine with the car just like it sits. Oil and water temps should be no problem.

The only thing you have to worry about, (since you live fairly close to the track) is how soon you will be able to go back with no pace car in front. I wonder how I know this?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It's just one time. What can it hurt? I'm sure you'll be able to walk away and never try it again. I mean you're stronger than all "those" people, right? Garage full of tires? Wheels? Spares for parts you haven't even broken yet? Dually trucks and 30' trailers? Those people are just crazy. Go ahead, have fun. Where could it possibly lead?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
It's just one time. What can it hurt? I'm sure you'll be able to walk away and never try it again. I mean you're stronger than all "those" people, right? Garage full of tires? Wheels? Spares for parts you haven't even broken yet? Dually trucks and 30' trailers? Those people are just crazy. Go ahead, have fun. Where could it possibly lead?

LOL! The man speaks the truth! From the videos I've seen, VIR looks like an absolute blast. Like they've said, you don't have much to worry about on your first time, just make sure your tires/brakes/fluids are in good condition. Have fun!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Fresh DOT 4 brake fluid might be in order. The brakes will probably get pretty hot even if it is "touring".

Have fun.

Get notified of new replies

To First Time to the Track...Car prep?

Quick Reply: First Time to the Track...Car prep?