Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Looking for a Track Car

I have been comtemplating buying a track car and finally decided to pull the trigger if I find the right one. I am trying to save myself the money and hassle of modding my car. So far I have only found one car that was right, but I was too late. I am hoping somebody knows someone who knows someone who might be selling the car I am looking for. I constantly check all the websites with no luck.

Car - C5 first preference - C4, Camaro, Mustang also fine
Price - $15-18K - anymore than that and I can just use my car
Use - HPDE for now, maybe TT in a year
Not looking for a project - I will only end up making it worse
Doesn't have to be pretty or super fast
Street legal is a must
Harness bar/roll bar is a plus
Needs to be near GA
Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My recommendation is that you buy the newest WINNING" racecar that you can afford. Make sure that the purchase price includes the "setup book" with suspension settings, fuel map and gear ratios for every track where it runs, and make sure those tracks are where YOU want to run.

Right now racecars are very inexpensive (cheap) and those made by Phoenix racing seem to be the top performers, and most respected.

Among the issues you might consider are cost of consumables (tires, brake pads etc), and potential of other cars in your class. Spec Miata is VERY competitive and relatively low cost. Best of luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why "Street legal is a must"? A "track car" should, if possible, be just that. Get a track car and a trailer so you don't go through all that "stuff" you just went through. I know your problem was not on the track but, at some point, something will occur on the track, and once again, you'll be stuck.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

I guess preferred is a better word than must. No tow vehicle and none in my immediate future. If I travel out of town I can tow, but for Road Atlanta I want to be able to just drive. If you know of something that is close to what I am looking for let me know.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:18 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fcarga
Get a track car and a trailer so you don't go through all that "stuff" you just went through. I know your problem was not on the track but, at some point, something will occur on the track, and once again, you'll be stuck.
Funny as me and scott were talking about this, this past weekend at CMP. Other than VIR this past month with a trailer on loan from Evocool, I have driven to every HPDE and TT I have ever done, going back to '99. As far away as Thunderhill in CA from Atlanta GA with race tires in the trunk/back seat! Only time I have broken anything (clutch on my first C5Z) was at Road Atlanta, 4 miles from the house

On the way to CMP pulling the tire/tool trailer, I was within feet of nailing an 8 pt buck @ 4 am in SC, and was literally ran off the road on the way home from some moron who ran all the way into my lane. I think there is more chance of damage to the car going/coming than being there!

And yes I bought a trailer about a month ago, mostly so I can tow and haul the family along to some of these weekends of insanity.

As short of a distance as you're driving (RA mostly), and as little on street use as you'll use it for, you can even run a track alignment and just pick up some junk tires to go to/fro. The tire/tool trailer works great for what you'd be doing.

I will keep my eyes peeled...

Last edited by drivinhard; 11-11-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 PM
threewinmag
Racer

I have a friend that is a member here that has a red 1999 FRC with engine work (500 hp at the crank, this disqualifies the car for SCCA T1), T1 suspension, track wheels, harness bar, two race seats, two harnesses, full exhaust with borla cat back, oil cooler and probably something I'm missing, and is fully street legal (don't know about emissions in Georgia, however). He'd be at the top of your price range and isn't really close to Georgia, but with transport or meeting places, you might be able to work on some arrangement. He is the original owner of the vehicle and it has right around 20k on the odometer.

He's used it for DE track events locally and it has always been in an enclosed trailer on the road and kept in the family garage at home.

Do you want me to ask him to chime in here?

Last edited by threewinmag; 11-11-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Thanks drivinhard. Let me know if you find anything. I am trying to make it to Road Atlanta in December if I can get off work, but it's not looking good.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by threewinmag
Do you want me to ask him to chime in here?
Sure. Even if it turns out to not be right for me, extra advertising for him couldn't hurt.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are serious about getting into a dedicated track-ready C5, i would broaden the price range a little if I were you

all safety/reliablity mods would add up to about $4-5k, assuming you do all/most work yourself (enjoy plumbing up those coolers and welding the roll bar!) and buy used stuff. Most people do something with at least suspension on their track cars so that's another 1.5-2k. More with BBK etc.

even 20-23k for a track ready 2001+ C5 would be a steal compared to doing the build yourself even if you find some unbelievably good deals on the parts, if it's an LS6 one, even more so, and I have seen quite a few Z06 cars listed for under 25 in the last few months.

forget the full cage if you are planning to drive on the street unless you are willing to wear a helmet all the time.

there was a gentleman here who listed (locally) a C5 coupe with SCCA cage and C5Z/T1 stuff all around but fewer mods than your usual dedicated track use C5, the car was gone in under 2 weeks, asking price was 25, no idea how much he ended up getting.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
I guess preferred is a better word than must. No tow vehicle and none in my immediate future. If I travel out of town I can tow, but for Road Atlanta I want to be able to just drive. If you know of something that is close to what I am looking for let me know.
Will do and good luck!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:03 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It can be frustrating, but it can be done. I picked up my '99 FRC for under $12K and on the track it has impressed me beyond belief (so far). It took me about a year to find it, but I'm so glad I didn't jump the gun and buy one of the fixer uppers I had looked at before.

Here's a couple I found during a quick search.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1462278959.html

Way overpriced. $11.5 tops for this one.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1424105675.html
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expand the budget...Riley "Track Day Car" FTW:

Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately the budget is what it is. I am pretty sure I can find what I am looking for in that range (I already did but didn't move fast enough). I am not looking for anything competitive or even that fast. I just want something that will save me some time and money compared to using the Vette I already have.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
Here's a couple I found during a quick search.
Thanks Scott. I will take a look at some of the older FRCs and see if anything looks promising. A higher mileage C5 would probably make for a good track car.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove scott's 11k FRC at CMP and was with it for the money

for sure, that's the way to go
Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree that Spec Miata is great way to go. For your budget, you can get a SM w/spares and have enough to buy a cheap truck and trailer. It's a great way to really hone your driving skills as it is all about momentum. If you just want to drive and not race, you can actually drive them to the track and back. One season a buddy of mine and I drove to races all year (1 hr to Blackhawk, 2.5 to Road America). One race he won and I came in second. We both took our trophys and drove home - on race tires and race brakes no less... Very reliable - very cheap to run and when you get bored with track days (as most do) you can test your skills in some door to door combat!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Pharma-c6- If you think you might change your mind about a SpecMiata, let me know as I have one in Cummimg that is available.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Track Car

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Expand the budget...Riley "Track Day Car" FTW:

If I win the lottery, I'm there.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

All PMs and emails answered. Not really willing to go the Miata route right now.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
All PMs and emails answered. Not really willing to go the Miata route right now.
You planning on taking a look at the one you showed me? It seemed like a good candidate.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Track Car