Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Hello Again

Mods - Off topic I know, but seems all the forum members I associate with hang out in this subforum, so I hope you'll forgive my indiscretion.

Hey all,
Been a stranger to the forum for the last three months or so, and likely to remain that way for the next 6-12 months. Quick note to say hi and let those interested know what I've been doing.

In July, I left sea duty for the last time in my Navy career (fifth sea duty for me), and effectively switched career paths to Acquisition. Acquisition professionals manage the acquisition process of DoD weapons systems. My current assignment is at the Washington Navy Yard in DC. I'll likely remain there until I decide to retire.

My wife, daughters and I left Washington State in mid-July and "camped" our way across the country in our RV via SoCal visiting numerous national parks, family and friends on the way. Camped deserves quotes because the closest I've been able to get my wife and daughters to what I'd call camping (backpacking in the Sierra Nevada) is in a 32' RV that sleeps 8 in air conditioned comfort, with a 19" widescreen TV, diesel generator power wherever we need it and a full shower. But, our month on the road was an experience I hope my daughters don't soon forget.

Opting to live in the country vice the more populated areas near DC, we bought a beautiful house in a rural county of VA near Dahlgren. My commute is long (60 miles each way), but not on the busy I95 cooridor as I go to work via MD. In trade, we live on a gorgeous 2.5 acre lot in a real neighborhood, which was important to my wife and daughters, and my daughters go to a brand new high school that they are both enjoying. They have made the transition better than I had hoped. For me, the house came with a large 3 car garage on the house and a 3 car shop garage in the back, with an RV and trailer pad next to it. All my toys in one place.

Time has been short for me as I learn my new profession. Long days on a busy project plus the commute as resulted in little to no ability to get online during the week. Add to that, Acquisition requires me to get what is effectively a Masters in the profession, mostly online, and mostly on my time. My weekends have been mostly mine, but have been busy working on getting the house we will likely live in much longer than we have ever lived anywhere else set up to our desires. Yesterday, I wired our newly finished basement for cable as an example. Last weekend was all about leaves amazing how many leaves 2.5 acres of trees can generate. A signifcant part of my next years racing budget likely to go to lawn and garden equipment.

I still have my 02 Z06 and am hoping to race it again next year, but time and money will be short, so I'm likely not to take the racing very seriously.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening.

P.S. Though I haven't been on the forum to browse, I'm still answering PMs and emails regarding AMSOIL/racing. If you need anything for winterizing or next season, drop me a line and I'll give you my best pricing.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to hear thanks for your service and the sacrifice your entire family makes.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great to hear what you're up to. Now instead of 'Subdriver' you going to change your handle to 'Paper chaser'? Congratulation on your new responsibilities, both professional and personal.
You think the leaves are bad, wait till you have to shovel snow!

Later,
Old 11-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Eric Reeves
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

We enjoyed your somewhat brief stay in the PNW and was really looking forward to your track exploits which got derailed very early. Here is wishing you and your family the best. FYI, our oldest son left this week for Nuke School and hopefully on to the Univ of Florida for his commission.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Thank you for your service. Let me know if you're going out to Summit Point and I'll try to join you.

BTW, if anyone at the Navy Yard talks about going to "Tracks" - it's probably not the race track . Actually I wonder if that club is still down there - that's not the best neighborhood.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome Back Sub

Now the important things

Summit Point is very close to you ~125 miles
http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

and 230 miles to VIR
Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Good to hear from you, Brad.

It's strange for people like us to be talking about the concept of retirement, are we really getting to that age?

PS. Don't get a paper cut...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Good to hear from you, all the best.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave,

Don't be confused..........retiring from the military definitely does NOT mean 'retired'. It usually just means its time to start a different (non-24/7) job......<grin>

Steve Glaab
USAF Retired (Aug 2000)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Brad:

It is great to hear from you.

Congrats on the new house and new assignment.

I will be in DC on December 15th.

I go on occassion... maybe we can grab a lunch or dinner when things settle in for you.

Oli
Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back and thanks for your service

I considered staying in the Navy after my first tour if I could have changed my designator from 11XX to 14XX ( I was in a 14XX billet). it turned out the only thing they could offer me was another sea tour, so I bailed. The USN experience directly led to a 30 yr. career with Hughes Aircraft
Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by Eric Reeves
We enjoyed your somewhat brief stay in the PNW and was really looking forward to your track exploits which got derailed very early. Here is wishing you and your family the best. FYI, our oldest son left this week for Nuke School and hopefully on to the Univ of Florida for his commission.
Thanks Eric. Best of luck to your son. He has chosen a difficult but entirely rewarding (at least from my perspective) career. If you ever need another perspective on issues facing your son, drop me a PM. My advice to him now - class standing in the training pipeline is important to the Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21) commissioning selection board. The amount of effort he puts in now will have an impact on his future.

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Thank you for your service. Let me know if you're going out to Summit Point and I'll try to join you.

BTW, if anyone at the Navy Yard talks about going to "Tracks" - it's probably not the race track . Actually I wonder if that club is still down there - that's not the best neighborhood.
11-15-2009 10:29 AM
Thanks for the tip! Actually, if you haven't been to that area lately, it really has gone through a major period of renovation in the last 10 years or so. Even since I was there for a 3 month training course in 2005, the area has really seen a lot of money - filled with condos and Starbucks now. I'm sure the new baseball stadium hasn't hurt either.

AU N EGL - Thanks for the link to Summit Pt. If you head out that way for a DE, drop me a line and I'll see if I can fit it in my schedule. I really need to start learning my way around the tracks here.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Good to hear from you, Brad.

It's strange for people like us to be talking about the concept of retirement, are we really getting to that age?

PS. Don't get a paper cut...
David,
You as well. What are your plans for next year? Please let me know if you are racing near me - I'd like to see what that Viper of yours can do. As for the retirement thing, Steve pretty much covered it. Did you see the cover of USA today yesterday? Apparently lots of post military opportunities.

Originally Posted by Olitho
Brad:
It is great to hear from you.
Congrats on the new house and new assignment.
I will be in DC on December 15th.
I go on occassion... maybe we can grab a lunch or dinner when things settle in for you.
Oli
Oli,
Give me a shout as your trip gets nearer, I'd love to see you - however right now it looks like I'll be busy all day.

Originally Posted by joemoia
Welcome back and thanks for your service

I considered staying in the Navy after my first tour if I could have changed my designator from 11XX to 14XX ( I was in a 14XX billet). it turned out the only thing they could offer me was another sea tour, so I bailed. The USN experience directly led to a 30 yr. career with Hughes Aircraft
Interestingly, I went the other way, starting as a 13xx and lateral transfering to 1120 (subs). Sounds like you made a good choice though as I'm guessing you were/are happy enough with Hughes to stay with them 30 years.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Brad, welcome back East and thank you for your service.

If you want to play at NJMP, please let me know. I am a track instructor there and would be glad to get you an invitation to play with us. I may even get Joe A. to come and join us.

Best,
Frank Gonzalez
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Freakin' feather merchants.

I'm glad I got up to the PNW soon enough to help out with at least one race. And I hear you about the house thing: i've got 20 acres I have to deal with. A lawn tractor isn't going to cut it.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Thank you for your service! Good luck on your new venture!

Get notified of new replies

To Hello Again

Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Welcome back to the east coast my friend...glad you are well. Get that old horse of yours ready and come down to Florida for the Snowbird nationals so we can catch up...or at least the VIR double in April!! I punched out 1 Jun and am working as a contractor on Ft. Bragg.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 PM
C66 Racing

Mike,
With 20 acres, you need farm equipment. For me, a commercial duty riding mower will probably suffice.

Frank,
I'm very interested in getting out to NJMP and appreciate the invite. Drop me a line when you head that way and I'll see if I can fit it in my schedule. Pretty sure we could drag Joe out as well.

Chris,
Jan/Feb going to be too busy for me to take the time off to get down to sunny FL, but VIR in April much closer to home and should be doable for me. Congrats on landing post Army employment and in the SE at that.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Dave,

Don't be confused..........retiring from the military definitely does NOT mean 'retired'. It usually just means its time to start a different (non-24/7) job......<grin>

Steve Glaab
USAF Retired (Aug 2000)
I am not confused; Bradford and I are following similar paths...

Quick Reply: Hello Again