Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Line Question

I would like to know how many of you active in HPDE's or TT use stainles steel braided brake hoses? Can you really tell a difference and is this a worthy investment.

I am getting ready to upgrade brakes, meaning have one set for track days, (disc and pads) and using the OEM set for the street. I just wondered if changing from the OEM rubber hoses to braided SS hoses would be beneficial.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Unless it's 100% track duty car, I advise against it.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Just did them on my '96 and wish I'd have done them sooner. Of course just changing out the fluid was probably 80% of the increase in braking, but the pedal just feels better and more precise. Mine is only autocrossed once a month....I feel it's totally worth the money.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

IMO at this time no one makes a good SS replacement but I'm just a paranoid guy. Look at the OEM block banjo fitting vs. the stoptech or other circular banjo. They say that's all you need but there is no question in my mind that the OE banjo is a better stronger connection to the caliper due to relative surface area of contact. I have also use the multi piece screw in AN fitting type and I'm not impressed with those either. Currently, I'm using the AN screw in type on the fronts and the stoptech cirle banjos in the rear because the screwin type in the rears basically sucked. When I'm not lazy I'll engineer my own ss lines. There is a company I forget the name of who not only has the OEM block banjo fitting but will custom make the length etc... using DOT spec connections. Earl's used to make the lines with the block banjo but they are NLA.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Whats wrong with the AN gear? Works fine for me with everything I've ever used.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I ran stock lines on the C5Z for a year and a half. I now run SS on the C5 FRC and I honestly can't tell a difference.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Greywolfe
Racer

Originally Posted by sperkins
I ran stock lines on the C5Z for a year and a half. I now run SS on the C5 FRC and I honestly can't tell a difference.
Same here. Can't feel a difference. I'm curious what is wrong with running them? I have no problems with them.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

why, whats the difference? I have them and I couldnt really tell the difference but I remember reading alot that they wouldnt expand from heat and pressure like the rubber ones would so thinking that would mean a higher or more consistent pedal???. So now Im curious why you advise against it? Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

For c4's the Earls stainless lines have a block almost identical to the stock line.

I like them better than the really old rubber lines they replaced.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 AM
GS46
Advanced

Heres the real deal.....if your using your car for tracking days and you run a lot of laps continuosly getting the brakes very hot to the point of fading then yes they will give you more consistent braking. If you auto x don't bother as your brakes never get hot enough to benifit from them.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Been using SS brake lines on my track cars for past 20 years-- wouldn't use anything else. There is a much firmer pedal feel (assuming you also upgrade the brake fluid & pads as well). Corvette brakes have been notoriously weak (compared to Porsches- which I've run on the track for most of the past 25 years). I got mine from LG motorsports-- the brake lines/pads/cooling ducts/fluid was the first mod I did on the car. And I flush the fluid every event. No brake problems yet.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:41 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Thank you, for all of the input. There seems to be mixed opinions. I agree with FATBILLYBOB, as I too was concerned with the size of the banjo fittings that came with the SS line kit. I am also curious as to why David Farmer advises against this unless the car is 100% track used. Mine sees about 10 days at Road Atlanta each year.

I was under the impression, the SS Lines would provide a firmer pedal feel. I already use Castrol SRF fluid, (that seemed much better than what I had). I did purchase a SS Kit, but started second guessing myself.

Maybe, I will devote a lot of time to stricking my head under Z06's at the upcoming Santa's Toy run at Road Atlanta and put off my brake upgrade until I get some more facts. I had not quite decided on what pads I was going to yet anyway, (I know that is another highly discussed topic).

Thanks again.... I am inclined to believe maybe you can't tell a difference if you have good fluid and pads.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm no expert but I've used SS lines both with stock C6 brakes and then with AP Racing brakes and I've never had any problems using them. Back when I used 'enhanced' stock brakes I felt the SS lines were an improvement...with hard use and high heat brake degradation seemed less.

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
From David's experience and contribution's to the forum (the the sport) I respect his opinion but this one just leaves you hanging. Even a brief explanation would be in order.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MYRX

Maybe, I will devote a lot of time to stricking my head under Z06's at the upcoming Santa's Toy run at Road Atlanta and put off my brake upgrade until I get some more facts.
Looking forward to seeing you there (from an ex-Winterville resident).
Remember that if you plan on racing or doing time trials someday that brake upgrades count as a points mod.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:21 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the idea is that with ss lines, dust/dirt from everyday driving can get into the braids, cause rubbing, and promote a rupture of the lines. Even if you go with the coated lines, the high heat of the track will start causing pinholes in the coating where dust can gather. Or that's the idea anyways, and likely why OEM fits rubber lines that are more or less guaranteed to last >100k miles on a street car. Seems like there's plenty of people who run ss lines without any problems with failure though.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Sperkins, I will look you up. Good point about the brakes as TT is my ambition. I still don't understand all the TT rules. (But I still have time). Lets see how I progress thru HPDE3 first.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have been selling SS brake lines for the Corvettes since 1991. We have used two different manufacters to build them to our specs. Both have been DOT approved and been great on the track. The DOT standards make the line less prone to the issues that other SS lines have.

We haven't had many problems over the years, we do suggest replacing them every once and awhile depending on age and useage. The biggest issue we have seen is people dropping the caliper during pad changes and etc. Which is hard on a rubber factory line also.

We use the AN style connections at the caliper. That is the style that is raced, so that is the style we sell. We have had failures using banjo style connection during the Corvette challenge. Then we started to pin them so they can't work lose, which is BS. We have had rubber hose blow up under huge heat and brake pressures.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Line Question

Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I think Randy's solution is the best I have seen if not using a block banjo. The advantage to his system is that you might be able to screw his lines in multiple calipers which helps guys who are running stock brakes in SCCA T1 and also open brakes in NASA ST2. Also his lines look to be a caliper fitting for stock C5 brakes and then solid one piece DOT lines. I unfortunately bought a similar "looking" setup non-dot that had multiple fittings with marginal line lengths and proximal fittings not made for the vette which required modifying the vette retention clips. They may work in theory but just like Randy's report of banjo failure more connecting parts means more chance of failure. These lowly C5's are hitting 150mph at some tracks and brake failure is not a good day. DOT legal is important because it provided guidelines on brake line parameters like number of bend cycles. I'll be calling Randy for his lines. Thanks for posting on your product.

Randy...do you know under race conditions if our suspensions with leaf springs can flex/extend beyond the full droop position while sitting on jackstands? The reason I ask is some brakelines look ok in length at full droop but if a suspension can travel beyond that lines need to be longer. And are guys running coilovers on C5's getting more than stock droop and hence need to watch out for brake line length too?
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I think Randy's solution is the best I have seen if not using a block banjo. The advantage to his system is that you might be able to screw his lines in multiple calipers which helps guys who are running stock brakes in SCCA T1 and also open brakes in NASA ST2. Also his lines look to be a caliper fitting for stock C5 brakes and then solid one piece DOT lines. I unfortunately bought a similar "looking" setup non-dot that had multiple fittings with marginal line lengths and proximal fittings not made for the vette which required modifying the vette retention clips. They may work in theory but just like Randy's report of banjo failure more connecting parts means more chance of failure. These lowly C5's are hitting 150mph at some tracks and brake failure is not a good day. DOT legal is important because it provided guidelines on brake line parameters like number of bend cycles. I'll be calling Randy for his lines. Thanks for posting on your product.

Randy...do you know under race conditions if our suspensions with leaf springs can flex/extend beyond the full droop position while sitting on jackstands? The reason I ask is some brakelines look ok in length at full droop but if a suspension can travel beyond that lines need to be longer. And are guys running coilovers on C5's getting more than stock droop and hence need to watch out for brake line length too?
We have a huge advantage over other line makers. We work on hunderds of cars a year. With that said our lines are long enough to work with leaf spring cars. Like I have said before, the stock car has enough droop travel to run the Baja 1000

We suggest supporting the knuckle during shock changes, they are long enough but the bend at the chassis fitting is boarder line. It just adds some extra stress is all. With the shock in place(stock or aftermarket) no problems at all

Randy

Quick Reply: Brake Line Question