Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brainerd International Raceway, Great Vid!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brainerd International Raceway, Great Vid!

If you have not been to BIR you should come play this next season!

Check out this history...really cool

http://myitowntv.com/media/259/Brain...-_Brainerd_MN/

Ms Eliz
Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That was a great video. I know most of the guys in the video which is pretty cool. Doug talks about the early days of BIR being some of the best racing around. Two wide in turn 1 and etc. It's fast and technical!!! I wish more people in the dakotas, WI, IL and others would make it up there. But like they said for 10 years it was pretty low key. But with Jed and his wife running the show, things are improving like crazy. We even had some ice racing up there! They run snowmoblies in the winter time also. It is becoming a year around place to go watch or do some racing.

Randy
Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM
C5-vette
Racer

thanks for posting
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
That was a great video. I know most of the guys in the video which is pretty cool. Doug talks about the early days of BIR being some of the best racing around. Two wide in turn 1 and etc. It's fast and technical!!! I wish more people in the dakotas, WI, IL and others would make it up there. But like they said for 10 years it was pretty low key. But with Jed and his wife running the show, things are improving like crazy. We even had some ice racing up there! They run snowmoblies in the winter time also. It is becoming a year around place to go watch or do some racing.

Randy
I bet it was Jerry Hansen who told Steve Kline he could go flat out through turn #1 in the silver `68 below (it ended out in the corn field so far you couldn`t see it, at least thats the story Pat Stair told, then Kline demanded his Chevy line mechanic "fix it" for the race)....I was never there although Hansen pressured me to buy BIR stock when he took it public (lucky me I didn`t)......I`m curious why did they have to change that great track layout??

Last edited by redvetracr; 11-25-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I bet it was Jerry Hansen who told Steve Kline he could go flat out through turn #1 in the silver `68 below (it ended out in the corn field so far you couldn`t see it, at least thats the story Pat Stair told, then Kline demanded his Chevy line mechanic "fix it" for the race)....I was never there although Hansen pressured me to buy BIR stock when he took it public (lucky me I didn`t)......I`m curious why did they have to change that great track layout??

They changed the track for a couple good reasons. Turn 1 and 2 are too fast for today's insurance. Plus they can run drag events and road racing and karts all in the same weekend. When they insure the place, it's the whole place, so they double up and make some money.

Also with the school, it would be pretty boring heading down that straight with a SRF. Turn 1 and 2 again.

Other then that..... I enjoy the new track and miss the old. But the included turn 3 in the new track so I'm sold.

Have you seen video of the new track?
Randy
Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr

My Father tells that same story, and was there to see it happen!! Who bought that car?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm
My Father tells that same story, and was there to see it happen!! Who bought that car?
a fireman from Dallas....who called Doug Rippie, (I think it was Doug Rippie`s first car), who asked what he paid, who then called Doug Karon who bitched at me for making a few bucks on the deal...I got it from Karon`s guy Dave Andrewski. I`m pretty sure your dad was trying to do a deal with Bartlett & Dave for that red (or was it silver) midyear you drove a few times when Dave thought he wanted to go racing, when that deal fell apart Dave called me.....I don`t think it ever got put together, but it was a mess...68 body bolted to a 63 frame....not as bad as the Denny Long car but a close second.

Last edited by redvetracr; 11-25-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:20 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh yea, I talked to Dave about that car and had always heard the story about what happened to it. I did not know you owned it one time. Should not have been too had to find a frame for it!!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Todd Benne
Instructor

The 2010 SCCA Trans-Am Series will return to Brainerd on September 4-5, 2010.

Partial schedule of events, with five more to be announced at PRI in a few weeks.
May 8 - 9 New Jersey Motorsports Park Headliner

May 21 - 23 Mosport International Raceway Co-Headliner

July 2 - 3 Lime Rock Park NASCAR Camping World Series

Sept. 4 - 5 Brainerd International Raceway Headliner

Sept. 11 - 12 VIRginia International Raceway Co-Headliner
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Randy how old was senior in that picture? You need to put some old race pictures up on our site with a link in your sig here.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Randy how old was senior in that picture? You need to put some old race pictures up on our site with a link in your sig here.
About 35 or so, That was right before running Hansen's Greenwood rocket ship, with huge tires, They looked like 16 inchers in the rear.
We are planning on having some more history with our new site. The biggest problem is, Doug has about 20 pictures from a 40 year racing career They are crappy shots and are just old and worn out.

Kline has a crap load of pictures and results somewhere. There is some crazy things in those books. Cars, Girls and food was the theme

I'm going to work on this "sig" thing a bit. I went on the forum without signing in and this world of stuff came out that I have never seen before.

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 11-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brainerd International Raceway, Great Vid!

Quick Reply: Brainerd International Raceway, Great Vid!