Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a C4 - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bought a C4 - now what?

So I bought a 95 LT1 C4 to use as a street/track car, and I am trying to figure out what to do with it for HPDEs over the next couple years. I will only be driving it on the street when I go to and from the track and maybe once a week. It already has

Dewitts radiator with EOC
Electric water pump
C5 brakes
RD crossframe
Bilstein sport shocks
Poly front bushings
and a couple other things for the track.

Here is my plan but I wanted some input from those who have been down this road.

Autopower or Kirk roll bar - where to get this installed?
Canton oil pan with Accusump
Turn One PS Pump - DRM hose
Brake ducts - Quantum brake cooling kit
VBP sways 32/26
Exhuast - muffler eliminators
Racing seats - heard C4s are a tight squeeze so don't know what fits.
Anything else I am forgetting that should be on the list?

Last edited by The Panther; 11-28-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'ev got a large Kirkey seat in mine, I think it's 17", but I don't remember now. I had it on the factory sliders, but it's quite high on that so I'm mounting it fixed (and lower) with a different setup. I'm 6'2" linebacker built and my head hits the ceiling panel with that setup. Check to see how wide a seat you need, you may not need one that wide. If you need wider, it will be very tight, especially if you plan on keeping the factory seat belts for street-legal purpose. Oh, and the higher sides and wings make it so much more "fun" to get in and out!

I've been checking out roll cages, there are a lot out there and relatively inexpensive, compared to what I thought they'd be. Do a search for roll cages in the "C4" forum and you'll find plenty of info, and check in your area for a speed shop, they can probably install you something, or tell you where you can get it done.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the 32/26 roll bars myself; I think that is a real good choice. I would try to pick up (4) Z06 Speedline 18x10.5 wheels; the square setup and a wide front tire suits the C4. Of couse, the widest, stickiest never hurt either. Never went with the Canton road race pan and I have over a 100 track hours(with sticky tires) on a mostly stock(292 RWHP) LT1 and no oiling issues; I use Redline 10w-40 and overfill a half quart.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

I am 160 so I won't need anything wider than that. Can you give me more info on the seat you have? Does it fit the stock belts?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Never went with the Canton road race pan and I have over a 100 track hours(with sticky tires) on a mostly stock(292 RWHP) LT1 and no oiling issues; I use Redline 10w-40 and overfill a half quart.
I thought LT1s had issues with the stock oil pan. I guess I need to do some more reading. I definitely don't want to change the pan unless it is necessary. I am working my way down the line (C6 then C5 and now C4) and pretty much starting the learning process over with each car.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

If I wasn't going to a drysump, I've get the road race pan and an acusump.

I know a couple of guys that spun bearings.

I'd skip the C5 calipers, still slide rails, and go a set of Wilwoods.

Eliminators are nice if you keep the rest of the exhaust, too loud to make sound if you install headers.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
I thought LT1s had issues with the stock oil pan. I guess I need to do some more reading. I definitely don't want to change the pan unless it is necessary. I am working my way down the line (C6 then C5 and now C4) and pretty much starting the learning process over with each car.
The power steering punp can be an issue. They get hot and will howl like a beagle.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

I am 160 so I won't need anything wider than that. Can you give me more info on the seat you have? Does it fit the stock belts?
I think this http://kirkeyracing.com/index.php?li...&code=Series47 is the one I have. It "works" with the stock belts if you feed it through the holes in the sides, but it is tricky fastening the belt on the factory clip-in, you may not have that issue at 160 though. Look around the Kirkey (and other) websites and they have guides on what size you may need. I would think my 17" would allow way too much slop in the fit for you...15" is probably a better choice. If you can get to a track ask some people to sit in theirs and see what fits.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
The power steering punp can be an issue. They get hot and will howl like a beagle.
Hmmm, had to replace my ps pump last year...coincidence???

Is the PS pump on an LT1 the same as L98 cars? Is ther a better pump to look for when replacing?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Turn one pumps are better, the later cars have a cooler, which is a must.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Get the Turn One pump and the high pressure hose from Rippie.

I've got a Sparco Evo seat in mine. Fixed mount on Hardbar rails. Had to pull the parking brake out to get it mounted low enough to sit in. As it is my helmet is still VERY close to the roof. 6-2, 195.

I use the 6 quart Canton pan. Go to their website for the part number. I did it as insurance to get the extra quart.

Not to argue with you Brian but the Wilwoods are very exensive if you're on any kind of budget. I put the C5 fronts on and noticed a very nice improvement over the J55 brakes I had. All that said, if I could afford it I would put the Wilwoods on.

You might want to be careful with the muffler eliminators. A lot of places are enforcing the sound rule.

Maybe it's just my set up but I had Speedlines with 315s on and had a problem rubbing the front plastic inner fenders. I added a 1/4" spacer and still rubbed a fair amount. I do a lot of auto-x going lock to lock. I would think if you're only going to track the car you wouldn't have that problem as (obviously) the turns aren't as tight.

I found a local shop that builds dirt track cars and had them do the six point cage in the car. It was very reasonable and done to SCCA / NASA / NCCC specs. I've heard the mail order ones don't line up real well and you have to mod them a bit. If you're handy that's not a big deal.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:13 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Turn One PS Pump added to the list. Any idea on decibel level with muffler eliminators and stock everything else
Old 11-25-2009, 03:38 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

I've never been bounced on the sound.

Cheap enough to try it.

Keep them just in case.

BTW unless you go to a larger diameter pipe, all the aftermarket systems really do it make it sound better. No real improvement.

For that matter I didn't pick up anything with the eliminators on the dyno.

Something GM did right.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM
RickF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwt1603
Get the Turn One pump and the high pressure hose from Rippie.
The Turn One PS pump rebuild was the single best thing we did to our car. Always had trouble with PS fluid over heating. I share the car so we often run back to back sessions; now never a problem. I understand the high pressure hose is a big failure item. Mine never went but I got the Rippie hose anyway.

The C4 is very camber limited in front. I have the VBP offset lower control arm bushings and later shaved the upper control arm spacers. I'm running -2.1 now. Not sure if both are needed to get there.

Our 94 has been a lot of fun and reliable even running double sessions. We need to add power and "lightness".
Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just to cover some basics:

If you choose to run the stock pan, make sure you run it 1 qt over the full mark and check it every session. For the amount of effort you are putting in, the canton is a good way to go.

It's always good to know the age of the optispark. They dont last very long (espically when they get moist) and can cause you to chase a lot of other problems.

Chris
Old 11-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickF

The C4 is very camber limited in front. I have the VBP offset lower control arm bushings and later shaved the upper control arm spacers. I'm running -2.1 now. Not sure if both are needed to get there.
I have the VBP offset bushings, it is a must have.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Lots of good info. For the PS pump is it a rebuild or a whole new pump? Their website is kind of weak.

Last edited by The Panther; 11-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a C4 - now what?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good info. For the PS pump is it a rebuild or a whole new pump? Their website is kind of weak.
It's a rebuild. Send them your core. Give them a call. Very helpful people.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:01 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a power steering pump from Turn-One last summer. They happened to have a core and got the build done right away. If they don't have a core, they will need your old pump. Like others have said, the Rippie high pressure line is the way too go!
I run a Cobra Suzuka seat in my car with hardbar seat rails. Everything fits fine. I would recommend against using factory seat belts with any kind of racing seat. Just my 2 cents. Let me know if I can help with anything!

Scott
Old 11-25-2009, 06:26 PM
lawyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c-4 now what

for wheels i run the original grand sport 11 x 17 rims which weigh only 22 lbs.
The aftermarket ones can weigh up to 27lbs
I had lots of p steering issues until i put in a turn one rebuilt and now no problems at all
Dont scrimp on a roll bar, have a pro build one into your car unless you dont value your head
Try and find zr-1 front calipers as they have larger cooling fins
Buy a front spoiler that has brake cooling ducts built in and run hoses that point at the calipers and you will greatly reduce brake fade and boiling the fluid issues, and use hi temp fluid

Quick Reply: Bought a C4 - now what?